News: Canfora: Cowboys top 5 worst off season plan

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fans generally aren't objective and that's okay. I don't think fans should necessarily be objective.
They're fans.

Analytical/Objective fans are okay too. I like them also.

We all stress to our own grooves.
It's not a competition. Oh wait, maybe it it! Who won? :muttley:

Sydla

Reaction score
I criticize you all the time because you deserve it but not about that.

You did. I remember specifically you getting on me because I argued that we should end the Heath should start project and bring in a real S like Dix and let Heath go back to his role as special teams guy/dime S.

Now you love the Dix signing and call it an upgrade. LOL.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It's not a competition. Oh wait, maybe it it! Who won? :muttley:
Me.

I got to drink, someone probably cooked something on the grill and it wasn't me and I watched a football game with friends.
Even if it is with you guys some weeks

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm not as down on them as most here are. Big losses : Byron Jones (Solid CB, No ball skills), Robert Quinn (Great pass rusher, terrible run defender), Travis Frederick (Legend. But not the same player he once was). The rest are just very meh fringe players. Heath? Collins? Witten? Come on.

Big signings : HaHa Clinton-Dix, Gerald McCoy, Poe. Both will start at FS and 3 Tech. Both are upgrades over last years players. If Poe comes in and plays the 1, that is massive for the line.

So essentially your biggest glaring holes are RDE, #1 Corner, Slot receiver, Center. Ok cool. Rumor has it Gregory will likely be back. Awesome. So Gregory / Crawford can man RDE.

That leaves you with #1 Corner, Slot, Center. Spend your first two picks on (CJ Henderson and Tyler Biadasz or Matt Hennessy). Corner and Center are covered. Slot receiver can be found cheap in FA (Taylor Gabriel) or easily in this loaded draft.

Step back. Breathe. It's only March. This team will be fine after the draft with all needs filled.

fact is nothing can replace Frederick unless we use a top 2 pick on a center. And even that is a c shoot. Last time he was out the line gave up 56 sacks and Zedek had 7 td’s.

it’s as big a blow as we could have gotten. One we couldn’t plan for and only have the draft left to deal with.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it just me, or does it seem like this team is getting more criticism about its overall direction here lately?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me.

I got to drink, someone probably cooked something on the grill and it wasn't me and I watched a football game with friends.
Even if it is with you guys some weeks
We cooked the TV and ate the football - after drinking!

Sydla

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does it seem like this team is getting more criticism about its overall direction here lately?

What do you mean?

I think the criticism is similar to what we've seen in the past in FA. And little to do with McCarthy, but rather, here we go again with the Jones boys bottom feeding in FA again, even when they have cap space to improve.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You did. I remember specifically you getting on me because I argued that we should end the Heath should start project and bring in a real S like Dix and let Heath go back to his role as special teams guy/dime S.

Now you love the Dix signing and call it an upgrade. LOL.
Bull****. Quit lying.

ESisback

Reaction score

Dallas

The Cowboys defense was awful before the offseason began, and they seem intent on making it even worse in 2020! How about that? Two of their biggest contributors from a year ago -- pass rusher Robert Quinn and corner Byron Jones -- are gone. Sean Lee is back, despite his age and years of injury woes. They'd better hope Gerald McCoy makes a far more significant impact than he did in Carolina last year, or this thing might really crumble. Keeping Amari Cooper is nice, but wait until Dak Prescott is making $38M a year. It's going to limit the ability to do a few other things, and Jerry Jones has been paltry spending on payroll the last four years, anyway. They'd better have one helluva of a draft, and it had better lean decidedly to the defensive side of the ball. Their ability to stop anyone remains very much in question, and even all of the yards they rolled up a year ago were not enough to make them anything close to a contending team.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...season-plans-through-free-agencys-first-wave/

I disagree. The Cowboys defense was awful in spurts, mostly against the run, BECAUSE of Robert Quinn. Bad special teams and Marinelli’s scheme ALSO played a part. Byron Jones, while a freak athlete, was not a ballhawk, and they now have HaHa and Canady. If they sign Poe to go with McCoy, the DL should be significantly better. And all this is before we even draft!

Sydla

Reaction score
I disagree. The Cowboys defense was awful in spurts, mostly against the run, BECAUSE of Robert Quinn. Bad special teams and Marinelli’s scheme ALSO played a part. Byron Jones, while a freak athlete, was not a ballhawk, and they now have HaHa and Canady. If they sign Poe to go with McCoy, the DL should be significantly better. And all this is before we even draft!

Canady is a JAG. A depth guy. In no way should he be viewed as a possible replacement for Jones, who was one of the better CBs in football even with the interception issue.

Right now we are weaker at CB and weaker in being able to get after the QB. It's hard to deny that. Yes, you can also say we got better at S as I believe Dix is a better S than Heath.

ESisback

Reaction score
So they sucked but not bringing everyone back is bad? No one can make any determination, good or bad, until we see the new staff in action, see who makes up the final roster, and see the results of that combination.

Yeah, I don’t get that. We sucked, so we changed coaches and changed a few players, so that automatically means we’re worse, and we haven’t even drafted yet?

Some are determined to condemn, no matter what the Cowboys do.

ESisback

Reaction score
Canady is a JAG. A depth guy. In no way should he be viewed as a possible replacement for Jones, who was one of the better CBs in football even with the interception issue.

Right now we are weaker at CB and weaker in being able to get after the QB. It's hard to deny that. Yes, you can also say we got better at S as I believe Dix is a better S than Heath.

I’ll reserve judgement until we finish with free agency, draft our players, hold TC, and play a few games. But feel free to pace and worry and stress out!

Sydla

Reaction score
I’ll reserve judgement until we finish with free agency, draft our players, hold TC, and play a few games. But feel free to pace and worry and stress out!

It's not about pacing or worrying. It's about having a football discussion on a football discussion board (egads, who woulda thunk that?), a little common sense, and not being hardwired to expect everything the Cowboys do is great and will work because, hey, COWBOYZ!!

Right now, we are weaker in areas on defense from a defense that was average last year. I don't see the harm or why some of you freak out at that reality. Sure, things can change in a week or two but right now, we have lost talent. Now bring in Griffen at DE? Suddenly the pass rush and DL look better (IMO Griffen would be an upgrade on Quinn given he can rush the passer AND stop the run better).

CB is what it is. There aren't any FAs out there that can help mitigate some of Jones' loss. We absolutely are going to have to hope the draft reaps some reward at that position and Awuzie steps up his play.