Cap situation after Dalton, Woods, Worley and rookies?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
OTC has added Dalton

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

• Total Cap Liabilities: $221,396,673
  • Top 51: $205,379,572
  • Team Cap Space: $9,618,677
  • Offense: $128,009,054
  • Defense: $84,030,257
  • Special: $6,618,333

What the cap space for players now really doesn't mean anything. Come final countdown day with those cuts all 55 players on the roster and the players on the practice squad have to be under the cap.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Travis Frederick will come back
giphy.gif

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Apply that 8M towards Griffin. Then we have a solid RDE until we see or know what we get from Gregory or Smith. Kind of a Dalton like upgrade for RDE. We can turn what we get from Gregory or Smith into a bonus and not a need.
how much does griffen want? why is he still on the market? there are a lot of teams that need RDEs, but he hasn't had a bite..not sure what the issue is....but I like him more than smith, jelks or Jackson.....Clowney wants too much money for an injury prone player.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
how much does griffen want? why is he still on the market? there are a lot of teams that need RDEs, but he hasn't had a bite..not sure what the issue is....but I like him more than smith, jelks or Jackson.....Clowney wants too much money for an injury prone player.

Good players don't sit this long without getting signed because they probably having some issues that the GM's know about but the public doesn't.

Sydla

Reaction score
who on the roster is better than Crawford on the DL....there is a few of course....
McCoy
Lawrence
Poe

do you trust Aldon Smith, who has been out of football for 3 years to be your starting DE? how about Jelks? Jackson? as good as we may think we are on the DL, we are not that deep....

and before we cut him, lets get through camp, lets see what all these young players have and if we can count on them. for now, its all potential on paper.

Problem is Crawford isn't a DE himself. At least not a really good one. If you were going to sell me on him being a really good backup DT, I'd buy it (just not at that salary). But trying to sell me on him keeping his existing contract and staying on this team because he's the DE opposite of Lawrence, that's something I am not buying.

Sydla

Reaction score
Good players don't sit this long without getting signed because they probably having some issues that the GM's know about but the public doesn't.

This is not necessarily true. It could also be that Griffen is just waiting for the right opportunity. Maybe at this age he wants to play for a winner? Maybe he has an offer to play for some crap team but he's holding out to see if one of the contenders wants to sign him?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
This is not necessarily true. It could also be that Griffen is just waiting for the right opportunity. Maybe at this age he wants to play for a winner? Maybe he has an offer to play for some crap team but he's holding out to see if one of the contenders wants to sign him?

Or maybe the GM's know something we fans don't know.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Problem is Crawford isn't a DE himself. At least not a really good one. If you were going to sell me on him being a really good backup DT, I'd buy it (just not at that salary). But trying to sell me on him keeping his existing contract and staying on this team because he's the DE opposite of Lawrence, that's something I am not buying.
I am not keen on him keeping his existing salary cap, sometime I like to separate the two. can Crawford the player help us? how much can he help? who is his replacement(s)? can the replacement(s) improve the team. this include us getting 8 mill back and does two 4 mill players equal to an 8 mill player (2 for one), or does this 8 mill on the cap prevent us signing someone like griffen (if he is better for the team and I am not so sure). if we can sign griffen and keep Crawford, then that much better. contracts are contracts and the goal is to assess if a player can help make the team better, not just his salary is higher than his output...at this point that's water under the bridge...

he is not spectacular, but solid. accountable. you know what you will get from him.....I remember one year Johnson Drafted Maryland first over all, not because he was a great talent, but his reasoning was others were risky, and with Maryland he knew what he was getting and could count on his play and use him to make the team better....again, not because he was this great player...he was a solid player and you know what, that's how he played. solid, not spectacular....

so again, who can help make this team better? will Crawford help this team be better? will Crawford on the team prevent us from signing the player we want?