Car Dealer Service Departments

Creeper

Reaction score
Warning: This is a long detailed rant about my car dealer trying to rip me off!

Is there such a thing as a car dealer service department that is reliable, honest, and fair priced?

If you read my post about my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee you know why I am asking?

I have had a few escapades with my Jeep dealer but this last one has me ready to explode.

A month ago I got in my car and started it. I heard an awful noise from the engine compartment. It was like a rubbing thumping noise almost like a fan belts was pulling on a pully of a seized compressor or steering pump. I shut off the car opened the hood to see what was up. I didn't see any smoke or belt abrasions so I closed the hood and started the car again. This time there was no sound so I pulled out of my driveway and drove to the store. On the way back a warning messaged appeared on my dashboard display. "Air Suspension System needs immediate servicing". Some SUVs have suspension systems that raise and lower the body of the car as you drive and park for convenience and to lower air resistance. A small air compressor pumps air into the shocks to make this happen.

Since this sounded like a dealer issue I called local dealers to make an appointment to bring my Jeep in for servicing. One dealer had no appointments until late November! The other said they could get me in October 21, which was 3 weeks from when I called. I took the earlier appointment but should have realized there was a reason this dealer had an earlier appointment. Anyway, I brought the car in last Thursday as scheduled.

That night they called me back to tell me they could not look at my car until the next day. I said fine. The next afternoon, Friday at 3:30pm, they called me to tell me they put my car on the computer and there is something wrong with the Air Suspension system but they couldn't tell me what. No poop Sherlock! They needed to run more diagnostics but wouldn't get to it until Monday. They told me I could come get my car and bring it back Monday. I told them keep it because I feared if I took it back they would start working on other cars before they got to mine. In retrospect, I should have taken my car back and kept it.

Monday they called me back to tell me they found a problem in my rear brakes. They needed to fix it before they test drove the car which they needed to do while the computer was hooked up to their analyzer because this is what would tell them what was wrong with the car. The problem, they said, is one rear wheel was sticking and they were concerned it would seize up while they were driving it. They had to take the wheel off to figure out the issue. But they could not diagnose the suspension problem until they fixed the wheel.

I get another call back later that day with some nonspecific BS about my emergency brake, rotors, this that and the other thing and it would cost me $995 to fix. I told them I had new brake pads and rotors installed only 2500 miles ago so it is not possible I needed new rotors. And if I did then I would take the car to the guy who installed them and have him replace them. I know when I had them replaced they were new because I checked them out when I got the car back from him. I got out the receipt to show the exact mileage when the rear brakes were done. In fact, my Jeep dealer replaced my rear rotors only 18,000 miles ago. So the service guy told me okay but they still needed to fix the problem with the wheel sticking and that would require some parts which would take 2 days to get.

Today, I get a call that the parts are in and they would fix the rear wheel sticking. That was this morning. By the afternoon I get another call about bad ABS tune rings, whatever that is, and they were missing teeth and needed to be replaced for $401. Oh, and they think I should replace my rotors because they are rusty and pitted. Again I told them no. I will take the car back to the guy who sold me those rotors. So now my bill is almost $1400 without new rotors and they still have not looked at what is wrong with my air suspension system. I suspect that problem is the compressor crapped out and it will cost $2000 to $2500 to replace.

So now I am looking at possibly $4500 in repairs for a car that might be worth $8000 as a trade-in on a new car. $10,000 if I sell it myself.

Needless to say I am done with this dealer. And I am done with Jeep. I would buy a Yugo before I would buy another Jeep and all because this dealer is, IMO a crook- and Jeep allows it. But when I talk to my friend about their experiences with other makes of car they tell me similar horror stories.

I read somewhere that dealers make much more money on servicing their cars than they do selling them. I can understand how this is possible.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Does seem a little suspicious that your rear wheel suddenly just magically started "sticking" as soon as you dropped it off there. Whatever that even means. I'm guessing they are referring to a bad wheel bearing?

Creeper

Reaction score
Does seem a little suspicious that your rear wheel suddenly just magically started "sticking" as soon as you dropped it off there. Whatever that even means. I'm guessing they are referring to a bad wheel bearing?

That's what I thought but they claim it was the emergency brake sticking. They gave me a lot of BS.

Let's be honest, brake repair is the #1 scam in service shops. Telling someone their brakes are bad and unsafe almost always gets an approval to go ahead and do the repair. It's a fairly simple job for the mechanics too. Pulling off the calipers and removing the rotors takes about 15 minutes per wheel. So in an hour they can replace both rear rotors and brake pads. Then they charge you $1000. A break kit can cost about $200 at most.

The ABS Tone Ring is another mystery to me. How did those rust so badly the teeth broke off? Sounds like they cleaned some dust off them.

They haven;t called me today yet so I have no idea still what is going on with my Air suspension system and I am betting they cannot fix it by the weekend again so I am without my car for another few days at least.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I went in for a factory recall issue.
After it was done and they came out they tried to tell me I had a bad radiator. I said, that's funny, I just had a new one put in three months ago. He looked like he was busted and just handed my keys back.

My father went for a factory recall on a paint job. The did a touch up paint job on a few spots and it was not even really colored matched correctly.
My father went back and told them that the recall paint job called for the whole door area to be repainted not just to touch up a couple of spots.
He went back and it looked as if somebody did a overspray just to be an *** as their were visible drip marks on the door.
My father told them he was taking the vehicle to a local paint and body shop and they were going to get the bill. They did and they paid it.

Another bad thing about dealerships is they have a book that gives a time for each job so they can charge you labor for that job.

Now even if it only takes them 20 minutes to actually do the job but the book says the time for that specific job is to be billed at 2 hours...they will bill you for two hours.
I had them try that crap on me once. They did not even bother to try and hide it. 2 hour labor on the bill but I got there 1:00 and they were done before 1:30. I said I don't care what the billing book says, I am not paying for two hours of labor when you have it fixed in about 20 minutes.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’ve had nothing but great service with Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler for my Ram truck. If a recall, oil change, tire rotation or something breaks….they are all over it. If no loaner is available, they have a guy that takes ya home and picks me up when the truck is ready.

Of course, it is under full warranty and once that is gone, the dealer would be my last place to get something fixed. But, with the technology in cars/trucks today, they may be one of few places to do that kind of work. Mom and pops shops just can’t diagnose and fix certain things in vehicles today. Mufflers, minor engine work, radiator and things of the sort are okay to take somewhere else. If the 12” NAV or some other software problem occurs, I have to take to the dealership :thumbdown:

Creeper

Reaction score
unless it is warranty work the dealership should be the last resort. ANY DEALERSHIP.

I took my car in to the deal because I also have an outstanding recall notice, but I think those recalls are phony excuses to get you in so they ca do a multi-point inspection, which just mean find an excuse to do expensive repair work.

The last time I got a recall, it was for a fire hazard in the vanity mirror. Once they got my car, I got a call about a leak in the water pump gasket that wound up costing me $1700. But that's not all. After they replaced the water pump gasket and thermostat (which was another $400 in labor) I got the car back and it was running like garbage. On my way back from the dealer I turned around and took it right back. An hour later they called me and told me a fuel injector was broken and it was going to cost me $70 for the part to replace it. I told them **. I am not paying you any more money. They must have broken the fuel injector when they did the other work. He must have sense how pissed off I was because he called me back and told me he okayed it with the manager to not charge me. Oh, and a few months later my wife was in my car and pulled down the visor to use the vanity mirror and it was cracked/broken in half.

So yes, the dealer should be the last resort. I am as pissed off at myself as I am at the dealer. But for what they charge they should be better at what they do. And someone should crack down on the fraud.

One thing I always do is ask for the old parts back when they are done. Legally they have to provide them.

terra

Reaction score
I’ve had nothing but great service with Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler for my Ram truck. If a recall, oil change, tire rotation or something breaks….they are all over it. If no loaner is available, they have a guy that takes ya home and picks me up when the truck is ready.

Of course, it is under full warranty and once that is gone, the dealer would be my last place to get something fixed. But, with the technology in cars/trucks today, they may be one of few places to do that kind of work. Mom and pops shops just can’t diagnose and fix certain things in vehicles today. Mufflers, minor engine work, radiator and things of the sort are okay to take somewhere else. If the 12” NAV or some other software problem occurs, I have to take to the dealership :thumbdown:
The Dealers are the only ones that have all the codes in the first two years of a vehicles life; after that there are plenty of places that can do the diagnostics and reprogramming. Don't let the dealers scam you!

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Dealers are the only ones that have all the codes in the first two years of a vehicles life; after that there are plenty of places that can do the diagnostics and reprogramming. Don't let the dealers scam you!

Diagnostics and programming, yes but not for all of the issues. There is a lot of RAM specific hardware and software in the 2020 model. I tried going outside for a new NAV system because the dealer didn’t want to cough up 5K to replace it. They eventually did after a lot of paperwork and going up channels in the service department. There was no mechanic that I could find that could do anything.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Had a female co worker go through a similar situation several months ago.
I'd take my car to a mom and pop or fix it myself before i even thought of going to a dealer.
Crooks...

Listen to Ernie "The Big Cat" Ladd.

He's 6'9" tall and covers the ground he walks on.

John813

Reaction score
Definitely some good and bad ones out there.

Local Ford dealer I've known the service advisor for 16+ years. No BS, just do what I request to be done and that's it.
Had good luck with a Dodge dealer too, but maybe it helped we knew the owner at the time lol.

What really sucks has been the price jump for labor for billing.
Dealer now charges 160 a hour.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure codes are standardized throughout the industry. Maybe some exceptions like BMW.

I downloaded the free software which allows me to plug my laptop in to the OBD2 port and view and manipulate the diagnostic and management systems on my Fords. This was life altering for an old shade tree hack from way back, like me

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Park Place Mercedes in Dallas has been flawless over the years.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Warning: This is a long detailed rant about my car dealer trying to rip me off!

Is there such a thing as a car dealer service department that is reliable, honest, and fair priced?

If you read my post about my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee you know why I am asking?

I have had a few escapades with my Jeep dealer but this last one has me ready to explode.

A month ago I got in my car and started it. I heard an awful noise from the engine compartment. It was like a rubbing thumping noise almost like a fan belts was pulling on a pully of a seized compressor or steering pump. I shut off the car opened the hood to see what was up. I didn't see any smoke or belt abrasions so I closed the hood and started the car again. This time there was no sound so I pulled out of my driveway and drove to the store. On the way back a warning messaged appeared on my dashboard display. "Air Suspension System needs immediate servicing". Some SUVs have suspension systems that raise and lower the body of the car as you drive and park for convenience and to lower air resistance. A small air compressor pumps air into the shocks to make this happen.

Since this sounded like a dealer issue I called local dealers to make an appointment to bring my Jeep in for servicing. One dealer had no appointments until late November! The other said they could get me in October 21, which was 3 weeks from when I called. I took the earlier appointment but should have realized there was a reason this dealer had an earlier appointment. Anyway, I brought the car in last Thursday as scheduled.

That night they called me back to tell me they could not look at my car until the next day. I said fine. The next afternoon, Friday at 3:30pm, they called me to tell me they put my car on the computer and there is something wrong with the Air Suspension system but they couldn't tell me what. No poop Sherlock! They needed to run more diagnostics but wouldn't get to it until Monday. They told me I could come get my car and bring it back Monday. I told them keep it because I feared if I took it back they would start working on other cars before they got to mine. In retrospect, I should have taken my car back and kept it.

Monday they called me back to tell me they found a problem in my rear brakes. They needed to fix it before they test drove the car which they needed to do while the computer was hooked up to their analyzer because this is what would tell them what was wrong with the car. The problem, they said, is one rear wheel was sticking and they were concerned it would seize up while they were driving it. They had to take the wheel off to figure out the issue. But they could not diagnose the suspension problem until they fixed the wheel.

I get another call back later that day with some nonspecific BS about my emergency brake, rotors, this that and the other thing and it would cost me $995 to fix. I told them I had new brake pads and rotors installed only 2500 miles ago so it is not possible I needed new rotors. And if I did then I would take the car to the guy who installed them and have him replace them. I know when I had them replaced they were new because I checked them out when I got the car back from him. I got out the receipt to show the exact mileage when the rear brakes were done. In fact, my Jeep dealer replaced my rear rotors only 18,000 miles ago. So the service guy told me okay but they still needed to fix the problem with the wheel sticking and that would require some parts which would take 2 days to get.

Today, I get a call that the parts are in and they would fix the rear wheel sticking. That was this morning. By the afternoon I get another call about bad ABS tune rings, whatever that is, and they were missing teeth and needed to be replaced for $401. Oh, and they think I should replace my rotors because they are rusty and pitted. Again I told them no. I will take the car back to the guy who sold me those rotors. So now my bill is almost $1400 without new rotors and they still have not looked at what is wrong with my air suspension system. I suspect that problem is the compressor crapped out and it will cost $2000 to $2500 to replace.

So now I am looking at possibly $4500 in repairs for a car that might be worth $8000 as a trade-in on a new car. $10,000 if I sell it myself.

Needless to say I am done with this dealer. And I am done with Jeep. I would buy a Yugo before I would buy another Jeep and all because this dealer is, IMO a crook- and Jeep allows it. But when I talk to my friend about their experiences with other makes of car they tell me similar horror stories.

I read somewhere that dealers make much more money on servicing their cars than they do selling them. I can understand how this is possible.

Couple of things…

1. Yes, dealer service is almost always rip-off. I think they know most people assume their brand service department = honesty + good service when in reality it means nothing, but they are still able to leverage that presumption.
  2. Bad reliability is sorta Jeeps thing. They make good looking vehicles but have all sorts of mechanical and quality issues (kinda like the domestic version of Range Rover).
  3. To the extent possible, try and find a good independent mechanic. Read multiple review sites, ask friends, et cetera. Also, do the simple maintenance yourself (change oil) if you’re able to.

Last edited:

terra

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure codes are standardized throughout the industry. Maybe some exceptions like BMW.

I downloaded the free software which allows me to plug my laptop in to the OBD2 port and view and manipulate the diagnostic and management systems on my Fords. This was life altering for an old shade tree hack from way back, like me
No, the vehicle specific data is held by the dealers; we ran into this during the summer on a 2019 Ford F250. The necessary data was simply unavailable to anyone but a dealer.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
No, the vehicle specific data is held by the dealers; we ran into this during the summer on a 2019 Ford F250. The necessary data was simply unavailable to anyone but a dealer.
Can you give me the example?

Was it something outside the normal error codes that trigger the check engine, ABS or traction control warning indicators?

Not being argumentative. Just curious and trying to understand.

John813

Reaction score
Can you give me the example?

Was it something outside the normal error codes that trigger the check engine, ABS or traction control warning indicators?

Not being argumentative. Just curious and trying to understand.

Curious too.

Cause a few issues can occur without the CEL or other lights popping up but the computer will store a code that could be found with a handheld tuner/OBD2 diagnostic reader. Unless it was so minor where the computer didn't log it and it had to be discovered in "real time" for the dealer to find the issue
I don't recall anything on the 2019 trucks that are dealer only for diagnostic purposes.