Cardinals and Cowboys had discussions about a trade during the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just skimmed through some of full 15:00 minute video (link) this clip was taken from. The video is filled with melodramatic fluff but this is sorta like what I would love for the league to compile into an after-Draft hype show or series on. Let viewers and fans see some of the inner circle events happening in real time inside teams' war rooms all three days. Not the bits-and-pieces you get whenever a network cuts to a particular war room when they are on the clock (just to see a boardroom throne room basically :rolleyes: ).

See the picks happen as they pre-projected. Watch the wheeling-and-dealing between teams as they occurred. Perhaps discover or question which player was targeted and obtained. Or which player was targeted and missed.

There are a number of scenarios I would enjoy seeing. It could give greater insight into how your favorite team's draft board actually played out. I would take this kind of programming over Training Camp with the blah blah blah nonsense any day.

CWR

Reaction score

We actually did a damn good job there. This draft really does have a good feel about it. I think (hope) we're going to get some real contributions from multiple picks this season.

Hindsight and all, but last year actually felt like a pretty crappy draft. I was excited to get a tech and Overshown. Never really got pumped for anyone else.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score

IF that is true...then the "discussion " consisted of Dallas calling AZ with that ridiculously 1 sided offer, and AZ laughing at them and hanging up.

Nobody is trading up 3 measly spots at the END of the 1st round, and forking over a 3rd rounder in exchange for a garbage late 6th rounder.

Surprise Surprise...the trade didn't happen, because it's either a bogus story or an idiotic trade offer by one of our idiot Jones boys, who like many of the Zaney Zoners in here, don't realize the trade also has to make sense for the OTHER team.

Nickyd2208

Reaction score
IF that is true...then the "discussion " consisted of Dallas calling AZ with that ridiculously 1 sided offer, and AZ laughing at them and hanging up.

Nobody is trading up 3 measly spots at the END of the 1st round, and forking over a 3rd rounder in exchange for a garbage late 6th rounder.

Surprise Surprise...the trade didn't happen, because it's either a bogus story or an idiotic trade offer by one of our idiot Jones boys, who like many of the Zaney Zoners in here, don't realize the trade also has to make sense for the OTHER team.
Ummm not sure what you are trying to say but we got a much better better deal than the Cardinals deal would have been.

plasticman

Reaction score
So....we would still get Guyton. They would not get to draft Liufau and Carson. Who would they get at #104 that might be better than Liufau and Carson combined?

I can see why they turned it down?

rambo2

Reaction score

The trade didn't happen because the Cowboys got a better deal with the Lions.

rambo2

Reaction score

What do you mean if it is true? It's on video.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
We actually did a damn good job there. This draft really does have a good feel about it. I think (hope) we're going to get some real contributions from multiple picks this season.

Hindsight and all, but last year actually felt like a pretty crappy draft. I was excited to get a tech and Overshown. Never really got pumped for anyone else.
This draft has no option but to be stars lol. I would say at least 3-4 have to be solid starters in the next year to make up for the 2023 draft failure.

Reactions: CWR

_sturt_

Reaction score
My elbow is out of joint now from having patted my back so hard... ;) ...

2024-04-17_22-37-41.png.a6aedc1d05426a8f515498bdc85132e3.png

Of course, I had a larger exchange in-mind, but there are several combinations that could have worked here.

JayFord

Reaction score
Why is it always "we had a discussion" or "we were in talks"

Reminds me of the guy in high school who never got girls but was always saying "I almost pulled her but xyz happened"

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Almost every team gets multiple trade scenario offers for almost every pick they have in the first couple of days of the draft. Discussions of hypothetical scenarios are just that - discussions. Every team takes phone calls and considers offers. The Cowboys had multiple discussions with multiple teams before picking the deal that suited them best.

It is a non-story that Arizona made a call, and explored trade options. Neither team pulled the trigger, so it doesn’t have any real meaning.