Cardinals hire female as ILB Coaching Intern

endersdragon

Reaction score
I hate to say political hire... but... I don't see what qualifies her to be an assistant coach at the NFL level. She is an athlete no doubt, and probably deserves a shot somewhere... but Texas Revolution to Arizona Cardinals seems like a huge leap. Maybe some major/mid-major college should have hired her first.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I see so many nightmare scenarios here. If she got the job of her own merit awesome, but if she got it some other way (non-sexual), well it will get swept under the rug anyways.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I hate to say political hire... but... I don't see what qualifies her to be an assistant coach at the NFL level. She is an athlete no doubt, and probably deserves a shot somewhere... but Texas Revolution to Arizona Cardinals seems like a huge leap. Maybe some major/mid-major college should have hired her first.

Coaching is about effort, knowledge, and the ability to convey that knowledge. If she has those three qualities, the hardest part for her will be breaking through the bigotry she will surely face. I'm mean look, everyone is already questioning her ability to do the job which is nothing more than the beginnings of that bigotry. If she can, let her. If she can't, let her fail. No reason to create reason for her to fail or how she got the job.

Good for her and good luck to her.

CashMan

Reaction score

She is also a psychologist, I think she will be fine.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
She's not an assistant coach. She's a training camp coaching intern (they have seven). That sounds like exactly the kind of entry-level position that someone looking to start a career as a coach would take (much like the quality control coaches that teams carry during the season).

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see so many nightmare scenarios here. If she got the job of her own merit awesome, but if she got it some other way (non-sexual), well it will get swept under the rug anyways.
How many men, I wonder, have gotten coaching positions not by merit, but by who they were buddies with or related to? And yet, that's never the first question asked when a man is hired...

jrumann59

Reaction score
How many men, I wonder, have gotten coaching positions not by merit, but by who they were buddies with or related to? And yet, that's never the first question asked when a man is hired...

I am sure plenty, my point being hopefully it is on merit and not her gender. Many coaches got jobs based on PC reasons, hell the NFL almost requires it and has rule for at least interviewing coaches. That all being said, she has an uphill climb to being taken seriously.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am sure plenty, my point being hopefully it is on merit and not her gender. Many coaches got jobs based on PC reasons, hell the NFL almost requires it and has rule for at least interviewing coaches. That all being said, she has an uphill climb to being taken seriously.

It is just as an intern and many high school coaches have worked under the same program.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I gt that but does not make here job any easier.

Cards interviewed her and hired her, was being female a factor? maybe but then she is vastly outnumbered vs men counter parts. It is an opportunity nothing more.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Five things to know about Welter
Welter, 37, was hired by the Texas Revolution of the Indoor Football League in February to coach linebackers and special teams.

• At 5-foot-2, 130 pounds, she became the first woman to play a non-kicking position in a men's professional football league in 2014 when she suited up as a running back and special teams player for the Revolution.
  • Welter has a master's degree in sports psychology and a Ph.D in psychology.
  • She won gold medals in 2010 and 2013 as a member of Team USA at the IFAF Women's World Championship.
  • She played rugby at Boston College and played professional football for more than 14 years in women's leagues. She helped the Dallas Diamonds of the Women's Football Alliance win four titles.
http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/14955/five-things-to-know-about-jen-welter

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Five things to know about Welter
Welter, 37, was hired by the Texas Revolution of the Indoor Football League in February to coach linebackers and special teams.

• At 5-foot-2, 130 pounds, she became the first woman to play a non-kicking position in a men's professional football league in 2014 when she suited up as a running back and special teams player for the Revolution.
  • Welter has a master's degree in sports psychology and a Ph.D in psychology.
  • She won gold medals in 2010 and 2013 as a member of Team USA at the IFAF Women's World Championship.
  • She played rugby at Boston College and played professional football for more than 14 years in women's leagues. She helped the Dallas Diamonds of the Women's Football Alliance win four titles.
http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/14955/five-things-to-know-about-jen-welter
My guess is that she's far far more qualified than 99% of the men who get these kinds of positions.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If she can help guys make the team, then she can have a spot in the NFL. They key is how players will take her direction and coaching. JMO

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Welter is certainly more qualified to coach than some fans simply due to the fact that she has at least played the game.