Twitter: Card's Patrick Peterson on what their game plan against the Cowboys

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Lamb should have another a huge day......he's been unstoppable from the slot even w/o 8 in the box.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
While that is true, they still have to prove they can beat the 8 man box.

What the DC's have is knowledge that the Cowboys OL is very suspect and they have a power back that is used to making his own holes as a power back with too much contact. But what they have that is even more critical is the fact that in CIN, Dalton went as the running game went. He needed that even when he had Green and Sanu at the top of their game. And that's not a slam, most QB's need that, even that cat in KC.

What Peterson is saying is the most known item about every team facing the Cowboys, without the run game, the Cowboys cannot protect their Achilles, that defense. And for the Cards, that's right down their alley as they rank 5th in rushing. Murray contributes to that, just as Jackson does for BAL, but that presents yet another challenge that Cowboys D's have struggled with for decades, the mobile QB. And as discombobulated as this D has looked at times, Murray could be looking at a career day.

Dalton can't just be good, he has to be great to overcome his OL and D. He cannot go in and just execute the offense and make plays, he has to create plays. Andy Dalton is our 2020 version of Tony Romo and he has to make this team his quickly. Usually, they'd ask a backup QB to manage the offense but that will not be good enough for this team. Dalton has to keep Prescott's scoring average up.

If any team is considering Dalton as a QB prospect for 2021, they couldn't have asked for a better situation because he's going to have to be special.

I am not saying do not run on 1st at all or vs 8 men what I am saying is if you consistently try to run vs 8 / 9 men up you will put yourself in poor down and distance situation which then becomes a big advantage for a defense. I hope to see Cowboys mix in play action on 1st to give the cards something to think about, we have some outstanding weapons on the outside who can turn short balls into big plays. Dallas can't go back to being predictable we do not have the OL players that can just go out and overpower, if we do not keep defense guessing we will be in trouble

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not saying do not run on 1st at all or vs 8 men what I am saying is if you consistently try to run vs 8 / 9 men up you will put yourself in poor down and distance situation which then becomes a big advantage for a defense. I hope to see Cowboys mix in play action on 1st to give the cards something to think about, we have some outstanding weapons on the outside who can turn short balls into big plays. Dallas can't go back to being predictable we do not have the OL players that can just go out and overpower, if we do not keep defense guessing we will be in trouble
Couldn't agree more, Dalton is not going to be able just to manage this offense, he is going to have to create.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, Dalton is not going to be able just to manage this offense, he is going to have to create.

The fact he is a vet and when he has had the weapons like AJ Green he has had success. In Dallas he has 3 top WR at his disposal and a TE who is surpassing what most thought he could do. I do think it is important for Dallas to be able to run the ball be it Dak at QB or Dalton but we can't afford to be predictable. While he is not as mobile as Dak, he is not a statue back there he has the ability to move and even pick up yards when he has to.

GORICO

Reaction score
I would hope McCarthy and Moore have enough trust in Dalton to make play changes at the line of scrimmage. If you see the defense bringing up extra men to defend the run then it becomes foolish to run into a stacked line. I'm all for balance and running the ball what I am not for is trying to force things that are not there. Cards have to find out early that we will play action off 1st down and attack them and that is the way you get defense to back off that line. You don't do it by running into the teeth of a stacked defensive front.

doom--- i have been asking for a ton more playaction to stop defenders in their tracks...that extra "tick" of time can lead to a lot of success

Doomsday101

Reaction score
doom--- i have been asking for a ton more playaction to stop defenders in their tracks...that extra "tick" of time can lead to a lot of success

Dallas did it quite a few times this past game with Dak play action coming around on the boot and find Schultz for some good gainers. Clearly the run game in my view is still important but keeping the defense off balance is a good way to slow them down.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I want Dallas to run, but what we can't afford to do it put ourselves in 2nd and long, 3rd and long and give the defense the opportunity to come after the QB. If you have 5 men blocking and defense has 8 men up that is hard to run against consistently. Use play action get yourself in those 2nd and 4 situation where the defense is uncertain of what is coming. All defense know that in a 2nd 8 or 3rd and 5 or 6 that the offense is going to throw, it is no secret at that point. Keeping your offense is prime down and distance is a big key in being able to stay balanced in your offense. I'm not saying you don't ever run on 1st but you need to be able to keep defense guessing and you can do that with some play action on 1st, if you do that successfully you will see defense backing out of those 8 men fronts.
totally agree.
let Dalton open up the play-book.
can't go ulta conservative.
WRx3 is a strength...use it.

817Gill

Reaction score
For a team like us who can do both, we should constantly be putting the defense in matchup situations that force them to be wrong either way.

For example, if we run out of passing formations (11&10 personnel), teams have to take a LB off the field or have him cover a WR. Most teams would bring in an extra DB to matchup. With the LB in the game you throw, with the DB in you run.

I’ve obviously super simplified it but we have the players and should use the formations that give our offense options and makes the defense have to pick.

catiii

Reaction score
Peterson, you're a dirty bird and your "plan" won't work. I hope Dalton and our WR corps "services" you with 60 offensive points. I'm going with @GORICO on the Platinum guarantee.

cern

Reaction score
get rid of the ball quickly. bills qb looked fairly dazed and confused yesterday with a rush in his face. even mahomey appeared to be human with raiders in his face. dink, dank, dunk if need be. we've got the wr's to make it happen. kellen moore will have to come up with a great game plan. he's proven to be capable.

Verdict

Reaction score
I would hope McCarthy and Moore have enough trust in Dalton to make play changes at the line of scrimmage. If you see the defense bringing up extra men to defend the run then it becomes foolish to run into a stacked line. I'm all for balance and running the ball what I am not for is trying to force things that are not there. Cards have to find out early that we will play action off 1st down and attack them and that is the way you get defense to back off that line. You don't do it by running into the teeth of a stacked defensive front.
If they put 8 or 9 in the box, have the 'nads to throw it on every down.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
You can't stop our offense, and our defense can't stop a roach from climbing on a counter. Our offensive strength could be our passing game if our offensive line could block.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
So basically the same game plan they wouldve had if Dak didnt get hurt

Not sure about that.......I think he's saying w/o Dak, they expect to see a heavy dose of Zeke carrying the rock as opposed to the first games where his carries are down.