Cargo Ship strikes Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge causing great collapse

triplets_93

Reaction score

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Scott_Key_Bridge_collapse

The ship involved, Dali, is a Singapore-registered cargo vessel. The 229-metre-long (751 ft) ship left Baltimore at 01:00 EDT for Colombo, Sri Lanka.[8] It struck a column of the bridge at 01:27 EDT. The bridge strike and collapse was recorded on video.[9] The bridge broke apart in several places following the collision.[10] A Baltimore City Fire Department (BCFD) spokesperson said vehicles were on the bridge at the time it collapsed, including one that was the "size of a tractor-trailer". The Dali caught fire and appeared to sink,[6] with a section of the bridge landing on its front part.[7]

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Scott_Key_Bridge_collapse

The ship involved, Dali, is a Singapore-registered cargo vessel. The 229-metre-long (751 ft) ship left Baltimore at 01:00 EDT for Colombo, Sri Lanka.[8] It struck a column of the bridge at 01:27 EDT. The bridge strike and collapse was recorded on video.[9] The bridge broke apart in several places following the collision.[10] A Baltimore City Fire Department (BCFD) spokesperson said vehicles were on the bridge at the time it collapsed, including one that was the "size of a tractor-trailer". The Dali caught fire and appeared to sink,[6] with a section of the bridge landing on its front part.[7]

Wow, that's horrible! How does that happen on a perfectly clear night?

triplets_93

Reaction score
Port of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland USA | StreamTime LIVE YouTube Channel

Flamma

Reaction score
In the future when building bridges like this, they need to put a solid bumper around those support beams to at least steer any slow moving heavy ship away from the beam. I realize the cargo ship is absurdly heavy, but I'm sure they can come up with something.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Watching the video of few minutes before the crash, looks like some people lucked out. There were several cars driving over the bridge just before the crash. You can see their headlights as they drive over it. Looks like the construction trucks were the ones still on it when it collapsed. Boy, imagine that. Finding out that just 60 seconds after you passed, the whole thing went down.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Watching the video of few minutes before the crash, looks like some people lucked out. There were several cars driving over the bridge just before the crash. You can see their headlights as they drive over it. Looks like the construction trucks were the ones still on it when it collapsed. Boy, imagine that. Finding out that just 60 seconds after you passed, the whole thing went down.
My military son was just there at Fort Detrick, used that bridge last week! Holy crap. Glad hes safe back out west on base.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm being facetious when I say this but......The Titanic sinking happened on a perfectly clear night also.

On a serious note, I've heard that before hitting the bridge, the ship apparently lost power a couple times beforehand.
I guess that must affect the steering in modern day ships. I never really thought anything about that until this. What a tragedy.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I guess that must affect the steering in modern day ships. I never really thought anything about that until this. What a tragedy.
Without power they basically keep floating whatever direction they were heading, kinda like a car on ice if they lose traction.

Watching the video, that bridge just looked so fragile and spindly, it looked unreal the way it fell apart.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Without power they basically keep floating whatever direction they were heading, kinda like a car on ice if they lose traction.

Watching the video, that bridge just looked so fragile and spindly, it looked unreal the way it fell apart.
I agree, it looked way too easy, like the rest had already been loosened up or something. (Not conspiracy theorizing, just saying that's what it looked like.)

triplets_93

Reaction score
Watching the video, to me, it seemed that the ship stopped it's forward motion, as if it was in reverse, but then, the ship started moving toward the bridge and hit the support, causing the complete collapse of the that part of the bridge.

rags747

Reaction score
Well if u think about it u have a captain up on the bridge with either a wheel or a joystick. No way in hell is that device physically connected all the way back to the rudder.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Q&A on MV Dali Bridge Allison with What's Going on With Shipping and Captain

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From what I read, the ship acknowledged their situation by sending a Mayday call which allowed authorities to stop traffic to the bridge before the impact happened.

The fact some people have died from the collapse is a tragedy, but it could have been much worse if that had not happened.