Carters Mock 1.0

Carter

Reaction score
My first way too early Mock for this upcoming Draft.

Right now the Cowboys hold 10 Picks in the first 6 Rounds. They have Comp Picks in Rounds 3-5 due to recent Free Agent Signings. The exact position of the Comp Picks is not out yet so its a bit of guessing but its gonna be at the end of the rounds.

For now im doing the first four rounds with the comp picks we have.

Round 1 Pick 10
CB Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech, 6'2, 210 lbs

Pros:
- Elite physical tools in terms of size, quickness, speed, strength, length and fluidity. at 6'2 210 lbs with 4.3 Speed. Moves like hes 3 inches smaller.
- Footwork is clean and his pedal is smooth
- Outstanding in press coverage - does well to stay square, crowd, remain balanced and leveraged with terrific hand placementTremendous spatial awareness
- Has the power in his punch to redirect receivers and destroy route timing
- Sticky in man coverage as routes elongate - naturally mirrors routes and stays connected.
- Has no issues tracking, adjusting and invading the catch point with excellent technique

Cons:
- Injuries have been a concern so far in college
- Lack of 2020 Game tape. He passed the Season due to Covid Concerns because he already lost a parent to health reasons early.
- Can do better in Zone Coverage. Sometimes loses focus of his scheme / placement

Opinion: Eventhough he didnt play this Season hes my #1 CB and CB is the #1 Need the Cowboys have in my opinion. They need a true #1 CB and having two big, strong CBs with good instincts, quickness and good hands in Diggs and Farley cant be bad in todays NFL were the WRs look like TEs.
Injuries are a slight concern. He picked up a ACL Tear without contact in 2017 which led to him missing the season. Missed 2 Games 2019 with Back Spasms which he had throughout the Season. With NFL Conditioning and Strenght this shouldnt be that big of a deal since he doesnt have chronic or really bad injuries.

Round 2 Pick 42
DT Jay Tufele, USC, 6'2, 320 Lbs

Pros:
- Can play either 1 or 3 Tech at a high level
- good athlete with good quickness, balance on the interior and body control
- In the passing game, he is sufficient to generate pressure
- Tufele is an explosive athlete who uses his powerful hands to defeat interior linemen inside and get to the QB
- does a good job pushing the depth of the pocket as an interior rusher and has an effective bull rush, as well.
- In the run game he is very good at the point of attack. He comes off the ball hard, defeats his blocker, shows good agility to get through trash and finds the football.
- extremely difficult to single block
- flashed dominance in college

Cons:
- He can afford to be more consistent at playing with good pad level
- He has a swim move that he uses inside, however, he can afford to develop a legitimate counter and complimentary move as well

Opinion: We need a true Stuffer in the middle forever and hes my guy. Hes only 21 years old and can become a monster inside with Flex to go to 1 and 3 Tech. The Cowboys had one of the worst interior defenses in the NFL and with the likely departure of A.Woods and not much talent inside this is my Day 1 Starter.

Round 3 Pick 74
MLB, Cameron McGrone, Michigan, 6'1, 235 Lbs

Pros:
- This young man is a star in the making — he offers every physical tool you'll look for in a middle linebacker prospect
- Got the Starter Role for the last 10 Games of the Season
- Hes born in May 2000 so has ample ceiling to grow into as he gains more reps and become more consistent with his keys and reads
- offers sideline to sideline range, effective hip mobility to hinge and open into space and very good pressure ability as a blitzer or crash player on green-dog reps.
- He's got a natural leverage built into his game thanks to a squatty frame and will shine rolling hips and hands through blockers at the point of attack in addition to his rangy sideline to sideline ability.

Cons:
- He's still a bit green thanks to just 10 career starts and there were times where he was suckered by false backfield action to manipulate and pull him out of position on the second level
- will need more polish to ensure he stays attached and plays man coverage reps against TEs and RBs a bit tighter going forward

Opinion: LB, especially MLB is another big need for the Boys as this Unit flat out sucked the whole year. Jaylon Smith was one of the worst LBs in the NFL while LVE regressed massively and was out with a chronic neck injury. Sean Lee will be moved on or retire so LB becomes a big need again and we need a sustainable dog in there. McGrone is my Sleeper Pick.

Round 3 Comp Pick
S, Paris Ford, Pittsburgh, 6'0, 190 Lbs

Pros:
- Extremely physical football player that serves as a tone-setter.
- Urgently pursues the football and is always around the ball
- Never content or assuming that someone else is going to make the tackle, he always sticks his face in piles and looks to lay the wood
- Outstanding faceup tackler that generally does a great job of aiming low, wrapping and bringing his feet through the ball carrier.
- Has a quick downhill trigger and he takes outstanding pursuit angles
- Covers insane distance attacking forward in run support or coming up to tackle a short pass. Has terrific quickness, fluidity and speed
- Has the athletic profile to cover ground as a single-high defender

Cons:
- Has all the athletic traits to thrive as a deep zone defender but he’s still developing comfort defending all that real estate
- . Working to find balance between processing the routes in front of him and understanding when to close
- Not as comfortable with angles and timing breaking towards the sideline as he is playing forward
- Has a tendency to drift a bit and get stuck between zone

Opinion: Hes my #2 Safety on the Board behind Moehrig who will likely go 2nd Round. There is 3-4 Safeties in his range but i think he has the best tools to become a quality Starter in the NFL. I love physical hitters who want the Ball at Safety and he looks the part doing that. Besides Donovan Wilson the Cowboys have no other Safety worth a NFL Roster Spot.

Round 4 Pick 105
OG, Deonte Brown, Alabama, 6'4, 340 Lbs

Pros:
- Beefy and wide-bodied frame he exhibits an outstanding amount of strength at the point of attack.
- Brown is an effective run blocker with lots of attractive skills. Aggressive in the running game, he shows high strength levels and awareness
- Easily able to move defenders and dislodging them out of gaps as a hole, he’s best suited in a man/power-based blocking scheme
- As a pass protector, he’s comfortable with playing within his parameters and is effective in slide or man protections. When in single block situations, he has the foot quickness in order to match and mirror the movements of interior defenders
- Having an anchor that’s nearly impossible to knock over, his wide frame also enables him to engulf and cover up rushers. Brown is able to negate interior pressure effectively.

Cons:
- Guard only prospect that hasn’t played any other position up front and doesn’t have any prior experience at center
- Brown loves to get in street brawls, but defenders that can outsmart him by using their twitch and quick movements have had success against him
- Even though he has below average flexibility and sustainability, his operating levels must become more consistent over the duration of plays in order to stick to blocks
- Brown contains an effective initial pop with his hands, but if unable to land first, he can become a bit confused on how to readjust and win inside leverage after not being the aggressor

Opinion: With the way our Guards got manhandled this season besides Zack Martin Guard becomes another big need for the Cowboys and Brown is a man among boys. He will not get manhandled just need to clean up some technique stuff.

Round 4 Comp Pick
DE, Shaka Toney, Penn State, 6'3, 245 Lbs

Pros:
- Impressive natural athlete. He's got a lean, cut frame and offers plenty of room to stack weight onto his build — the ceiling is there for a bigger presence at the point of attack
- Toney is a twitched up edge defender who thrives most in space; he offers good first step quickness and will threaten tackles with wide angles to dip the inside shoulder.
- He's complimented his speed off the edge with an effective chop maneuver to drop hands and in addition he's been tasked with stunt game action to take advantage of his athletic ability playing forward
- He's been credited with a sub 4.50s 40-yard dash and a near 40.0" vertical
-even if he loses some of that burst with added weight; he'll be a mismatch with wide angles.

Cons:
- Needs to find a bigger presence defeating blocks and collapsing the line of scrimmage in the run game
- As is, he's really impressive as a rusher but his appeal in the run game is tempered by too many reps of him being eliminated by blocks
- Adding more versatility to his hand counters will help him keep offensive tackles off balance in the pass game as well — he's effective as is but there are unlocked levels of improvement lying in wait

Opinion: Can never have enough Pass Rushers and i want speed and movement from my Edge. Toney fits the bill and with some guys not returning (maybe A.Smith, T.Crawford etc.) we need more Talent. He played very well for a Powerhouse School and faced top talent in College Level.

Last edited:

Bigdog

Reaction score
My first way too early Mock for this upcoming Draft.

Right now the Cowboys hold 10 Picks in the first 6 Rounds. They have Comp Picks in Rounds 3-5 due to recent Free Agent Signings. The exact position of the Comp Picks is not out yet so its a bit of guessing but its gonna be at the end of the rounds.

For now im doing the first four rounds with the comp picks we have.

Round 1 Pick 10
CB Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech, 6'2, 210 lbs

Pros:
- Elite physical tools in terms of size, quickness, speed, strength, length and fluidity. at 6'2 210 lbs with 4.3 Speed. Moves like hes 3 inches smaller.
- Footwork is clean and his pedal is smooth
- Outstanding in press coverage - does well to stay square, crowd, remain balanced and leveraged with terrific hand placementTremendous spatial awareness
- Has the power in his punch to redirect receivers and destroy route timing
- Sticky in man coverage as routes elongate - naturally mirrors routes and stays connected.
- Has no issues tracking, adjusting and invading the catch point with excellent technique

Cons:
- Injuries have been a concern so far in college
- Lack of 2020 Game tape. He passed the Season due to Covid Concerns because he already lost a parent to health reasons early.
- Can do better in Zone Coverage. Sometimes loses focus of his scheme / placement

Opinion: Eventhough he didnt play this Season hes my #1 CB and CB is the #1 Need the Cowboys have in my opinion. They need a true #1 CB and having two big, strong CBs with good instincts, quickness and good hands in Diggs and Farley cant be bad in todays NFL were the WRs look like TEs.
Injuries are a slight concern. He picked up a ACL Tear without contact in 2017 which led to him missing the season. Missed 2 Games 2019 with Back Spasms which he had throughout the Season. With NFL Conditioning and Strenght this shouldnt be that big of a deal since he doesnt have chronic or really bad injuries.

Round 2 Pick 42
DT Jay Tufele, USC, 6'2, 320 Lbs

Pros:
- Can play either 1 or 3 Tech at a high level
- good athlete with good quickness, balance on the interior and body control
- In the passing game, he is sufficient to generate pressure
- Tufele is an explosive athlete who uses his powerful hands to defeat interior linemen inside and get to the QB
- does a good job pushing the depth of the pocket as an interior rusher and has an effective bull rush, as well.
- In the run game he is very good at the point of attack. He comes off the ball hard, defeats his blocker, shows good agility to get through trash and finds the football.
- extremely difficult to single block
- flashed dominance in college

Cons:
- He can afford to be more consistent at playing with good pad level
- He has a swim move that he uses inside, however, he can afford to develop a legitimate counter and complimentary move as well

Opinion: We need a true Stuffer in the middle forever and hes my guy. Hes only 21 years old and can become a monster inside with Flex to go to 1 and 3 Tech. The Cowboys had one of the worst interior defenses in the NFL and with the likely departure of A.Woods and not much talent inside this is my Day 1 Starter.

Round 3 Pick 74
MLB, Cameron McGrone, Michigan, 6'1, 235 Lbs

Pros:
- This young man is a star in the making — he offers every physical tool you'll look for in a middle linebacker prospect
- Got the Starter Role for the last 10 Games of the Season
- Hes born in May 2000 so has ample ceiling to grow into as he gains more reps and become more consistent with his keys and reads
- offers sideline to sideline range, effective hip mobility to hinge and open into space and very good pressure ability as a blitzer or crash player on green-dog reps.
- He's got a natural leverage built into his game thanks to a squatty frame and will shine rolling hips and hands through blockers at the point of attack in addition to his rangy sideline to sideline ability.

Cons:
- He's still a bit green thanks to just 10 career starts and there were times where he was suckered by false backfield action to manipulate and pull him out of position on the second level
- will need more polish to ensure he stays attached and plays man coverage reps against TEs and RBs a bit tighter going forward

Opinion: LB, especially MLB is another big need for the Boys as this Unit flat out sucked the whole year. Jaylon Smith was one of the worst LBs in the NFL while LVE regressed massively and was out with a chronic neck injury. Sean Lee will be moved on or retire so LB becomes a big need again and we need a sustainable dog in there. McGrone is my Sleeper Pick.

Round 3 Comp Pick
S, Paris Ford, Pittsburgh, 6'0, 190 Lbs

Pros:
- Extremely physical football player that serves as a tone-setter.
- Urgently pursues the football and is always around the ball
- Never content or assuming that someone else is going to make the tackle, he always sticks his face in piles and looks to lay the wood
- Outstanding faceup tackler that generally does a great job of aiming low, wrapping and bringing his feet through the ball carrier.
- Has a quick downhill trigger and he takes outstanding pursuit angles
- Covers insane distance attacking forward in run support or coming up to tackle a short pass. Has terrific quickness, fluidity and speed
- Has the athletic profile to cover ground as a single-high defender

Cons:
- Has all the athletic traits to thrive as a deep zone defender but he’s still developing comfort defending all that real estate
- . Working to find balance between processing the routes in front of him and understanding when to close
- Not as comfortable with angles and timing breaking towards the sideline as he is playing forward
- Has a tendency to drift a bit and get stuck between zone

Opinion: Hes my #2 Safety on the Board behind Moehrig who will likely go 2nd Round. There is 3-4 Safeties in his range but i think he has the best tools to become a quality Starter in the NFL. I love physical hitters who want the Ball at Safety and he looks the part doing that. Besides Donovan Wilson the Cowboys have no other Safety worth a NFL Roster Spot.

Round 4 Pick 105
OG, Deonte Brown, Alabama, 6'4, 340 Lbs

Pros:
- Beefy and wide-bodied frame he exhibits an outstanding amount of strength at the point of attack.
- Brown is an effective run blocker with lots of attractive skills. Aggressive in the running game, he shows high strength levels and awareness
- Easily able to move defenders and dislodging them out of gaps as a hole, he’s best suited in a man/power-based blocking scheme
- As a pass protector, he’s comfortable with playing within his parameters and is effective in slide or man protections. When in single block situations, he has the foot quickness in order to match and mirror the movements of interior defenders
- Having an anchor that’s nearly impossible to knock over, his wide frame also enables him to engulf and cover up rushers. Brown is able to negate interior pressure effectively.

Cons:
- Guard only prospect that hasn’t played any other position up front and doesn’t have any prior experience at center
- Brown loves to get in street brawls, but defenders that can outsmart him by using their twitch and quick movements have had success against him
- Even though he has below average flexibility and sustainability, his operating levels must become more consistent over the duration of plays in order to stick to blocks
- Brown contains an effective initial pop with his hands, but if unable to land first, he can become a bit confused on how to readjust and win inside leverage after not being the aggressor

Opinion: With the way our Guards got manhandled this season besides Zack Martin Guard becomes another big need for the Cowboys and Brown is a man among boys. He will not get manhandled just need to clean up some technique stuff.

Round 4 Comp Pick
DE, Shaka Toney, Penn State, 6'3, 245 Lbs

Pros:
- Impressive natural athlete. He's got a lean, cut frame and offers plenty of room to stack weight onto his build — the ceiling is there for a bigger presence at the point of attack
- Toney is a twitched up edge defender who thrives most in space; he offers good first step quickness and will threaten tackles with wide angles to dip the inside shoulder.
- He's complimented his speed off the edge with an effective chop maneuver to drop hands and in addition he's been tasked with stunt game action to take advantage of his athletic ability playing forward
- He's been credited with a sub 4.50s 40-yard dash and a near 40.0" vertical
-even if he loses some of that burst with added weight; he'll be a mismatch with wide angles.

Cons:
- Needs to find a bigger presence defeating blocks and collapsing the line of scrimmage in the run game
- As is, he's really impressive as a rusher but his appeal in the run game is tempered by too many reps of him being eliminated by blocks
- Adding more versatility to his hand counters will help him keep offensive tackles off balance in the pass game as well — he's effective as is but there are unlocked levels of improvement lying in wait

Opinion: Can never have enough Pass Rushers and i want speed and movement from my Edge. Toney fits the bill and with some guys not returning (maybe A.Smith, T.Crawford etc.) we need more Talent. He played very well for a Powerhouse School and faced top talent in College Level.
Appreciate the effort. Thanks for posting. Didn't know anything regarding the Michigan MLB.

Sydla

Reaction score
Love the first two, McGrone is ehhh to me. Ford with the 3rd comp pick would be decent value IMO. I suspect he might get overdrafted but if he's there in the very late 3rd and we still need a S, I'd take a flier.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Not bad. Think it basically addresses every need, but there's not much short-term impact.

Carter

Reaction score
Not bad. Think it basically addresses every need, but there's not much short-term impact.

This rotten Team isnt one impact player away from a Superbowl. We need a fresh overhaul with young talent especially on D.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Are the pick numbers for Rds 2 and 3 accurate? Don't they rotate with the other 6-10 teams in order for those rounds? I realize after that the other rds are unpredictable due to comp picks,

conner01

Reaction score
You had me with the top 2
Really like tufele
He needs to work on technique but is a good run stuffer with some rush skills
Most DT’s take some time to develop but he has the frame to add more size and is already a good player

cowboyec

Reaction score
love the first 2.
BIG fan of OG Deonte Brown.
i'd love that pick.