Catch Rule on Ceedee Endzone Catch

817Gill

Reaction score
I’ve seen people continue to argue back and forth that this was a catch. The rule is stupid, but by definition it was not a catch. Posting the rule below:

“Scenario: A player is facing towards the LOS/QB and moving backwards to make the catch at the out of bounds line. They get their toes down, but their heel continues down and hits out of bounds. No, this is not a dragging the toes scenario.

Ruling: It's incomplete. It's not the same as "dragging" the toes. It would be ruled as finishing a step.”

Here is the same scenario, but in reverse. Heel hit in bounds. Toes hit out of bounds -

Rule book -

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2021 - Rule Book Case Book.pdf

>A.R. 15.104 Heel/toe

>Third-and-10 on A30. A2 controls a pass and gets his left foot down in bounds at the 50. As his right foot comes down, the heel hits in bounds and in the normal motion of taking a step, his toes hit out of bounds. Officials rule complete. Ruling: Reviewable. A’s ball fourth-and-10 on A30. Incomplete. Adjust clock if wound before review. If any part of the foot hits out of bounds during the normal process of taking a step (no drag or delay), then the foot is out of bounds.

Again, terrible rule but still a no-catch by definition.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I interpreted it as his right foot being inbounds, and the sliding out while his left toe hit the ground.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
I’ve seen people continue to argue back and forth that this was a catch. The rule is stupid, but by definition it was not a catch. Posting the rule below:

“Scenario: A player is facing towards the LOS/QB and moving backwards to make the catch at the out of bounds line. They get their toes down, but their heel continues down and hits out of bounds. No, this is not a dragging the toes scenario.

Ruling: It's incomplete. It's not the same as "dragging" the toes. It would be ruled as finishing a step.”

Here is the same scenario, but in reverse. Heel hit in bounds. Toes hit out of bounds -

Rule book -

>A.R. 15.104 Heel/toe

>Third-and-10 on A30. A2 controls a pass and gets his left foot down in bounds at the 50. As his right foot comes down, the heel hits in bounds and in the normal motion of taking a step, his toes hit out of bounds. Officials rule complete. Ruling: Reviewable. A’s ball fourth-and-10 on A30. Incomplete. Adjust clock if wound before review. If any part of the foot hits out of bounds during the normal process of taking a step (no drag or delay), then the foot is out of bounds.

Don't worry the NFL will change the rule again after the season then we will all be arguing and confused about what is and what is not a catch again next year, lol- its so insane. Never got over watching Dez make a great catch years ago and them trying to tell me that wasn't a catch, lol.

Nexx

Reaction score
it would make its so much easier if they would just simplify the rule. if any part of each foot touches in bounds and before either any of either foot touches out of bounds, its a catch.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Rule book -

>A.R. 15.104 Heel/toe

I disagree that it's a bad rule. The toes are part of the foot, therefore if any part of the foot lands OB, it's out. Now, if the toes were to drag OB before the heel came down, I'd say that's a catch.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
After that TD by the Jags today, I'm more confused about what's a catch. I thought it was 2 feet inbounds, not one foot twice.

817Gill

Reaction score
I disagree that it's a bad rule. The toes are part of the foot, therefore if any part of the foot lands OB, it's out. Now, if the toes were to drag OB before the heel came down, I'd say that's a catch.
I feel like if any part of your foot touches at anytime it should be counted as a foot down. If it’s simultaneous then it’s OB, but if a part hits in before the rest of the foot I think it should be fine.

For example, if your shin hits in-bounds before the rest your leg does, even if it’s one motion it’s still called a catch. Not sure what makes a part of a leg hold more weight than part of a foot but I feel like it’s inconsistent.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Rule book -

>A.R. 15.104 Heel/toe

Why is it a terrible rule that the whole foot needs to be in bounds. I do not see any logic in that being terrible!!

aikemirv

Reaction score
it would make its so much easier if they would just simplify the rule. if any part of each foot touches in bounds and before either any of either foot touches out of bounds, its a catch.
How is the rule not simple by the whole foot having to be in bounds-it is the essence of inbounds in any sport with a line and feet being the determining factor of in or out!

aikemirv

Reaction score
I feel like if any part of your foot touches at anytime it should be counted as a foot down. If it’s simultaneous then it’s OB, but if a part hits in before the rest of the foot I think it should be fine.

For example, if your shin hits in-bounds before the rest your leg does, even if it’s one motion it’s still called a catch. Not sure what makes a part of a leg hold more weight than part of a foot but I feel like it’s inconsistent.

well, then I will just ask a simple question. If a runner is running down the sideline and part of his foot hits the line is he in or out?

nathanlt

Reaction score

Rule book -

>A.R. 15.104 Heel/toe

First off, Dez caught it... (I have many people on ignore due their contention that he didn't)

And all I have to say is, that many other incomplete passes would have to be overturned if CeeDee's event had been labeled a catch. If Ceedee had somehow moonwalked that toe out of bounds, it would have been good. Ankle rotation would have made a difference.

CeeDee is an amazing receiver, his one arm catches were impressive on Thanksgiving! That being said, it is at least understandable why so much precedent demonstrates that CD didn't catch that one.

Unlike the Dez catch, in which so much precedent was overturned to take the catch away. The NFL's reputation and credibility is frozen in time at that moment, forever. Dean Blandino should be outed at Fox, he has never officiated a game, and had no credentials of any kind to be telling the NFL what a catch should look like. Certainly not overruling from his perch in NY what the officials on the field determined WAS A CATCH.

817Gill

Reaction score
Why is it a terrible rule that the whole foot needs to be in bounds. I do not see any logic in that being terrible!!
If I can drag my toes moving forward and it counts I should be able to touch my toes in moving backwards. Not sure why facing towards the LOS should make a difference.

aikemirv

Reaction score
If I can drag my toes moving forward and it counts I should be able to touch my toes in moving backwards. Not sure why facing towards the LOS should make a difference.
I would bet the interpretation is the same. So if a WR drags his toes backwards over the endline and then after his toes drag across the line the rest of the foot comes down, I would bet the ruling is that he is in. That is not what happened though!