CB Kevin King (Packers) could've been our 1st round pick

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Ironically Packers CB Kevin King, who will miss Cowboys game, was strongly rumored to be among the candidates to be in final decision to be the Cowboys 1st round pick selection in 2017, along with Taco Charleton and TJ Watt.

But supposedly King's career has been so derailed by injuries, I heard he's missed 18 games in the last 3 years. That sounds like another injury plagued Mo Claiborne situation that we've seem to dodge.
and BTW, I would have loved to see Gallup vs King matchup on Sunday.

Sometimes we never know what could change the course of certain players in NFL draft with the teams that drafted them. Same with King, same with Taco.
King was mistakenly named by media people as the last 1st round graded player left on the Cowboys board. But that was not correct, the Cowboys said RB Dalvin Cook was the last 1st round grade. The CB they supposedly did want instead of Taco was Tre'Davious White taken one spot in front of them.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
must say, I wanted WATT badly too..but think about it, he was viewed as a 3-4 end or hybrid OLB. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think they saw him as a tweener or not a scheme fit. I say we should have drafted him because hes just a good football player..they over thought that one. Sometimes ya just get it wrong. Gil BRANDT got the Darrel Green pick wrong...instead, the skins got him...but at least we ended up with Doug Cosbie. Instead of drafting Montana, we drafted someone else...I forget who..someone help me on that lol..
They had Watt rated higher than Taco and scouts believed that he could play DE with his hand on the ground. But in the days leading up to the draft they talked themselves out of Watt saying since they did not have tape of him actually putting his hand on the ground so that they weren't sure if he could play end.

Hardline

Reaction score
must say, I wanted WATT badly too..but think about it, he was viewed as a 3-4 end or hybrid OLB. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think they saw him as a tweener or not a scheme fit. I say we should have drafted him because hes just a good football player..they over thought that one. Sometimes ya just get it wrong. Gil BRANDT got the Darrel Green pick wrong...instead, the skins got him...but at least we ended up with Doug Cosbie. Instead of drafting Montana, we drafted someone else...I forget who..someone help me on that lol..

Robert Shaw
Center from University of Tennessee
Cowboys didn't have a second round pick in that draft.
Cosbie was the third round pick.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ironically Packers CB Kevin King, who will miss Cowboys game, was strongly rumored to be among the candidates to be in final decision to be the Cowboys 1st round pick selection in 2017, along with Taco Charleton and TJ Watt.

But supposedly King's career has been so derailed by injuries, I heard he's missed 18 games in the last 3 years. That sounds like another injury plagued Mo Claiborne situation that we've seem to dodge.

Sometimes we never know what could change the course of certain players in NFL draft with the teams that drafted them. Same with King, same with Taco.

TJ Watt was the obvious pick. Steelers were laughing and jumping for joy when the Cowboys passed on him. True story.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The wasted pick on Charleton was fairly brutal -- I just can't seem to stomach tacos anymore.

Especially seeing what Watts does each game. We got bamboozled on that pick, kept hearing he is a project and not scheduled to contribute right off the bat? WTH

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

On a related note, if we took King, we probably don't take Chido, so that worked out at least.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Never liked the Taco draft pick..but that's almost exactly where he was projected.I never did see the fit. TJ WATT would have been awesome. BUT AGAIN, No team can bat .1000 when drafting.

Dallas outsmarted itself on that pick, which happens at times. Teams sometimes overthink things like scheme fit and ignore the simple fact of who is the better player.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Robert Shaw
Center from University of Tennessee
Cowboys didn't have a second round pick in that draft.
Cosbie was the third round pick.
OK THANKS. That year wasn't a very good year for Brandt. IT does happen,to some of the best. We missed badly on Watt, but so did other clubs.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

I mean the guy is a borderline bust according to packers fans.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Bingo. Takk was the target. We just got jumped.

True

I’m glad the Cowboys didn’t trade their 3rd round pick to trade up and get their guy though.

Otherwise we wouldn’t have been able to draft Jourdan Lewis and stash him on the bench.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
I dont think very many fans liked the Taco pick

The Tristen pick looks pretty terrible to

CapnB

Reaction score
No team likes to miss on first rounders. it happens, but its not like its set us back 3 years because of it. And on top of it all, he was like 3 picks from being a 2nd rounder. Not like he was a top 5 pick and we swung and missed.

CapnB

Reaction score
What a great post. Our scouting dept deserves some credit on Prescott, but there was a significant amount of luck involved there.

Yup cant deny it, they wanted others. However, they spent more time with him (Dak) than any other QB before that draft.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Takk hasn't been all that good...hit and miss. Been hurt a lot too. So I think we did good.

I don't follow. The guy we drafted did nothing then got released. "Did good"? How could we possibly have done any worse?

Macnalty

Reaction score
Dallas outsmarted itself on that pick, which happens at times. Teams sometimes overthink things like scheme fit and ignore the simple fact of who is the better player.
Plus that spot we were picking in the draft was awful for a sure thing choice.