News: CB Trevon Diggs Looks Seasoned In Private Workouts

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you had only watched the Cowboys the last 10 years or so, you might think the CBs aren't allowed to catch the ball.

It does seem to have been a systemic flaw somewhere along the way to cause this team's turnover numbers to be this low for this long.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't agree. Our problem stemmed from coaching and from philosophy. If you don't practice creating turnovers and playing conservative all the time, then your defense won't get INTs or turnovers.

We have always been a "bend but don't break" defense. From Rob Ryan until Marinelli, we have stuck with that philosophy for so long that all our corners and safeties have forgotten how to play the ball.

Given that we will probably install a new defense focused on creating turnovers and INTs, we will probably get more turnovers and INTs.

Definitely coaching was a big part of it. I guess we will find out. If Jones starts getting a lot of picks then it was all coaching. But guys that are good ball hawks do so in any system. We shall see. Pressure and leads is also a big part of it.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It does seem to have been a systemic flaw somewhere along the way to cause this team's turnover numbers to be this low for this long.
I blamed it on Campo's philosophy as a DB coach, and it was his philosophy.

Then again, Garrett seemed to try to copy everything about the 90s teams and figured that would work.

That could be the answer.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

Terrence Newman got a lot of flak around here but he's THE ONLY CB we've had in the past 20 years who could play the ball.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
I do agree that eliminating one side of the field as a corner is great (like Byron did) and I also understand that limits opportunities if a QB isnt throwing anywhere in your zipcode. With that said however there are QBs that are going to check and see if your reputation is legit and that is where you have to get your INTs (assuming your a man cover corner, not zone). That's my knock on Byron. While it's true QBs would choose Awuzie since he is an easier guy to pick on, I seen quite a few instances where Byron got targeted and was content to knock the ball down and do that stupid gun in holster thing.