Twitter: CBA includes gambling as shared revenue for owners and players

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
You and your buddy are sitting at a bar across the street from the stadium watching a game:

You: "I bet you ten bucks he misses this field goal"
Buddy: "You're on!"

Announcer: "The kick is up! and.........it's wide right!"

You: "Pay up loser!"
Buddy hands him a ten.

All of a sudden two goons in official NFL jackets appear from the back room, they take your ten bucks and hand you back a 5 and two ones.

You and your buddy sit in stunned silence as the goons turn and walk out the door.

Last edited:

shabazz

Reaction score
You and your buddy are sitting at a bar across the street from the stadium watching a game:

Buddy hands him a ten.

All of a sudden two goons in official NFL jackets appear from the back room, takes your ten bucks and hands you back a 5 and two ones.

You and your buddy sit in stunned silence.
:lmao:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. It's just a terrible idea to drive even faster over the cliff by associating the league so directly to gambling. It's absolutely INSANE imo.
Booger and Snyder were investors in DFS as well as MLB.

The reality is gambling is here to stay, it cannot be legislated away or moralized away. One thing these owners are fully aware of is that without gambling, the NFL and football in general would not be where it is. That's what drives the vehicle.

The country is becoming a lot less interested in legislating and policing morality. Just so happens I live in the most ignorant state in America. They should add tupid to Texas.

HungryLion

Reaction score
What this means is that either the NFL will want to collect money from legal bookies, good luck on that, or the NFL plans to setup their own bookies located in or around NFL stadiums and good luck on that getting support from the fans on that one. Nobody will want to watch games anymore because they will fear games have fixes in them. Stadiums will be empty. The networks won't bid on carrying NFL games because of that.

This has to be one of the worst ideas anyone has come up with yet. Just think about Pete Rose who should be in the HOF but won't ever get there from betting on baseball that wasn't even part of MLB's revenue stream.

You think legal gambling will cause fans to believe the game is fixed. Even though the league has had illegal gambling based on it for decades?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm sorry but fans already think these things (mostly the CONSPIRACY! theorists) and it hasn't done a dang thing to popularity other than whining and the "I'm almost done with this game" empty threats. Been hearing those for years now, lol.

Yes there are conspiracy theorists but if the NFL actually gets into the bookie game even those who were conspiracy theorists will stop caring and watching.

Swanny

Reaction score
So what does this mean? Teams will be opening books inside the stadium? If a book is opened 201 ft from the stadium then they don't have to share revenue with the players?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
LMAO, do you have any idea how much has been "illegally" bet since they first put the uniforms on?

They can't even venture a guess at what the illegal sites rake in and all they're doing is the same thing the legalize pot states are doing. We can't stop it, might as well make something off it.

Nobody, including me, has said anything about illegal gambling. Why would they the NFL can't get in on that money even if they wanted to. They can't even horn in on the legal betting that goes on. Except for a few conspiracy theorists that believe the illegal and legal betting that happens has any impact on games the number of people who eren't previously one of those conspiracy theorists will grow to huge if the NFL starts their own bookies on or near stadiums. If there is people now who suspect that the NFL have some fixes on games just wait until or if they are become bookies. People will say that if in any game where the league is about to lose big bucks people with think the refs will get something in their ear to start calling mucho penalties on the winning team and then the ref in NY will uphold those penalties giving the losing team a chance to pull back into within the odds.or vise versa if the team winning isn't winning by enough the refs will start to call penalties on the losing team so the winning team can cover their spread.

Personally I don't think any betting done today has any affect on any game but I'm not so sure it wouldn't happen if the NFL become bookies.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
What this means is that either the NFL will want to collect money from legal bookies, good luck on that, or the NFL plans to setup their own bookies located in or around NFL stadiums and good luck on that getting support from the fans on that one. Nobody will want to watch games anymore because they will fear games have fixes in them. Stadiums will be empty. The networks won't bid on carrying NFL games because of that.

This has to be one of the worst ideas anyone has come up with yet. Just think about Pete Rose who should be in the HOF but won't ever get there from betting on baseball that wasn't even part of MLB's revenue stream.
that cant be the type of gambling money they plan on getting lol.
I was thinking something like draft kings etc.

There is no way they are entitled to any money bookies make.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You think legal gambling will cause fans to believe the game is fixed. Even though the league has had illegal gambling based on it for decades?

The is now legal and illegal gambling and has been for decades. What I'm referring to is the NFL wants to get in on the gambling revenue stream and the only way they can do that is if the league becomes a bookie. The people will then possibly think that if in any game where the NFL stands to lose a big chunk of money they can get message into the earpiece refs wear to have them start calling penalties that could effect the outcome of games. Now I'm saying it would happen but there will be enough people that may and then the viewers decrease, live gates decrease and then the networks in the up coming contract negotiations offer substantially less or don't bid anymore. The league PR would be so bad if they were their own bookies. Right now the league as not vested interest in the outcome of games but if they are their own bookies they will.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The is now legal and illegal gambling and has been for decades. What I'm referring to is the NFL wants to get in on the gambling revenue stream and the only way they can do that is if the league becomes a bookie. The people will then possibly think that if in any game where the NFL stands to lose a big chunk of money they can get message into the earpiece refs wear to have them start calling penalties that could effect the outcome of games. Now I'm saying it would happen but there will be enough people that may and then the viewers decrease, live gates decrease and then the networks in the up coming contract negotiations offer substantially less or don't bid anymore. The league PR would be so bad if they were their own bookies. Right now the league as not vested interest in the outcome of games but if they are their own bookies they will.

I guess my point is that. With the large amount of illegal gambling that was already taking place, people
Involved in the NFL already had an opportunity to be involved in stuff like that.

Gambling being legal doesn’t make it any easier than it already was. If anything, corruption in legal gambling would probably be even harder simply because everything is reported and has a paper trail. As opposed to illegal gambling.

So I don’t think the NFL being involved in legal gambling would increase the concern that the NFL would be fixing games. Honestly, I think the NFL has far more to lose from being caught fixing games, than they do to gain from fixing games. So the idea of them fixing games in the first place doesn’t make sense to me. Why risk killing such a large cash cow?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Whoa. We're talking about a $100b industry. Even if the NFL only capitalizes on part of it, that's massive.

We're going to be looking at $500m salary caps sooner than later.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whoa. We're talking about a $100b industry. Even if the NFL only capitalizes on part of it, that's massive.

We're going to be looking at $500m salary caps sooner than later.

According to USA Today the NFL made about $16 billion in revenue in 2019, and I suspect it didn't jump by another $84 billion in 2019. Plus, there are expenses. It's still a ton of money, but a far cry from $100 billion.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/15/nfl-revenue-owners-players-billions

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Looks like Dak and his agent made a smart move by not signing a contract before the details of this are finalized. The revenue increase could be substantial.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Buddy hands him a ten.

All of a sudden two goons in official NFL jackets appear from the back room, they take your ten bucks and hand you back a 5 and two ones.

You and your buddy sit in stunned silence as the goons turn and walk out the door.

Yeah buddy, its called "jobs program" for failed draft picks. Gavin Escobar and Chaz Green are the first shift.

conner01

Reaction score
Looks like Dak and his agent made a smart move by not signing a contract before the details of this are finalized. The revenue increase could be substantial.
That’s a small but growing revenue stream
The big money is a new TV deal
And streaming which if opened up to a real streaming service could be huge and worldwide

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I guess my point is that. With the large amount of illegal gambling that was already taking place, people
Involved in the NFL already had an opportunity to be involved in stuff like that.

Gambling being legal doesn’t make it any easier than it already was. If anything, corruption in legal gambling would probably be even harder simply because everything is reported and has a paper trail. As opposed to illegal gambling.

So I don’t think the NFL being involved in legal gambling would increase the concern that the NFL would be fixing games. Honestly, I think the NFL has far more to lose from being caught fixing games, than they do to gain from fixing games. So the idea of them fixing games in the first place doesn’t make sense to me. Why risk killing such a large cash cow?

I seriously doubt that anyone connect with the league office gambles illegally if for no other reason than if that place got busted and the names became public not only would the fans be upset but I'd bet that congress would again start to rescind their tax exempt status. And if the NFL ever decided to be their own bookies then I'm sure congress would take that tax exempt status for sure.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I normally don't read too much into stuff like this, but I have to admit it's starting to sound fishy.

We see more and more egregious errors by the officials (see the Rams-Saints NFC Championship two years ago). Then the Raiders announce a move to Vegas. And now this..........o_O