CBD Oil?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by ColoCowboy, Dec 24, 2018.

1. ColoCowboy

ColoCowboy Well-Known Member

1,251 Messages
    2,664 Likes Received
    Recently, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my wrists and shoulders. It is not debilitating by any means, but it is a nuisance. I was prescribed a non-sreriod anti-inflammatory drug along (which has helped) along with recommendations for an "anti-inflammatory" diet.

It was also suggested that I try CBD oil as a topical treatment to reduce inflammation. Being the anally-retentive sort, I read everything I could find about CBD oil first before trying. Admittedly, the jury s still out on the therapeutic value and there is wide-ranging debate on, let's just say, the quality control of the product. That said, I do seem to be benefitting from its use.

What are your experiences with CBD oil? Any particular brands you would recommend?

Pass2Run, cowboy_ron and Xelda like this.
  2. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam Unfriendly and Aloof!

44,826 Messages
    18,769 Likes Received
    Nothing beyond investments.

GMO415 and ColoCowboy like this.
  3. lukin2006

lukin2006 Well-Known Member

7,189 Messages
    12,869 Likes Received
    Runwildboys, Xelda and ColoCowboy like this.
  4. lukin2006

7,189 Messages
    12,869 Likes Received
    5 Health Benefits of CBD Oils

https://www.canabomedicalclinic.com/5-health-benefits-cbd-oils/

I have an aunt who passed away a while back of cancer, she was given a year to live, she started using CBD oil, she lived 6 years after her diagnosis, only being hospitalized the final few days of her life. She was 90.

5. ColoCowboy

1,251 Messages
    2,664 Likes Received
    Runwildboys, Xelda and lukin2006 like this.
  6. lukin2006

7,189 Messages
    12,869 Likes Received
    Cannabis is legal here in Canada, so I think in the coming year's medical researchers will testing it and documenting the health benefits, and hopefully some consistency in the chemical make-up.

Runwildboys and Xelda like this.
  7. lukin2006

7,189 Messages
    12,869 Likes Received
    You know, they really are tracking us. I read your thread, went over to my facebook page and that article was like the 3rd thing on facebook, creepy in a way.

8. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

5,816 Messages
    10,873 Likes Received
    Does it get you high. Per my employment, I'm not allowed to have THC in my system

Pass2Run, Runwildboys and Xelda like this.
  9. Xelda

Xelda Well-Known Member

2,803 Messages
    8,181 Likes Received
    I've tried it. It does not get me high, but seems to subtly calm me. I take stuff to help me sleep and wake up groggy unless I take the CBD Oil/Hemp Oil. I'm not sure what chemicals would show up in a blood or urine test though.

Pass2Run, Fmart322 and Runwildboys like this.
  10. ColoCowboy

1,251 Messages
    2,664 Likes Received
    All of the reputable brands claim to be THC free. The issue, per the article posted by @lukin2006, is that CBD oil is not yet governed by the FDA and, consequently, there is a wide range of quality and product compositions.

Pass2Run, Xelda, GMO415 and 1 other person like this.
  11. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Village Idiot

9,383 Messages
    8,839 Likes Received
    Placebo

GMO415 likes this.
  12. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

10,789 Messages
    14,299 Likes Received
    They aren't really sure how it exactly works, I've read differing opinions. It could work for you, maybe not. No personal experience though, thought about it.

I get inflammation in my shoulder after a bad cuff tear and having to do 15 months of rehab.

Try turmeric with black pepper, and one thing that was a miracle for me but I never see outside of weightlifting communities is Cissus. I've taken just about everything otc, did my research, but Cissus was still more effective. It has some promising research as well in arthritis and cartilage tissue formation.

Will be taking some turmeric+black pepper soon, in addition to reducing inflammation + being positive for arthritis, it's a powerful anti oxidant and it's been shown positive BDNF factors and improved cognitive function as well.

Turmeric study
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664031/

NSAIDs (non steroid anti inflammatory drugs) can damage and lead to gastrointestinal issues, I'm sure your doctor told you that, but just wanted to make sure you're aware.

Xelda, Runwildboys and ColoCowboy like this.
  13. Shinaoi

Shinaoi Well-Known Member

2,612 Messages
    4,031 Likes Received
    My mom has all of her dogs taking it in their food.

Xelda, ColoCowboy and RodeoJake like this.
  14. ColoCowboy

1,251 Messages
    2,664 Likes Received
    Thanks for the information and, in particular, your experience with turmeric. I've read a lot about turmeric as an anti-inflammatory remedy but haven't tried it yet.

Yes, I am aware of the long-term issues with NSAIDs - something I discussed early with my doctor and one of the main reasons I am looking for alternatives.

Thanks again!

Xelda and Runwildboys like this.
  15. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

4,127 Messages
    1,933 Likes Received
    GLA, fish oil, MSM, chondroitin, glucosamine, boswellia, hyaluronic acid, and collagen work pretty well for me. I don't tolerate it well but curcumin is also good as well as cayenne pepper..

Xelda and Runwildboys like this.
  16. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

11,642 Messages
    15,798 Likes Received
    I've read that doesn't get you high, still, if it helps your arthritis, I'd stay with it.........I'll probably be long gone before the VA prescribes it since it falls under federal laws, even in the states that have fully legalized, it's still illegal under federal law..........I really can't comment any further without getting political, and that's not allowed (for good reason).

Xelda and ColoCowboy like this.
  17. ColoCowboy

1,251 Messages
    2,664 Likes Received
    I have privately thought that @Reality should consider allowing a day we can get totally non-politically correct. The following day, all the obnoxious and inappropriate posts would magically disappear and all would be good with the world.

Sounds like the plot of a Hollywood movie.

:p

Xelda and cowboy_ron like this.
  18. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

11,642 Messages
    15,798 Likes Received
    lol, can you imagine how bad the forum would be if politics was allowed? We argue enough enough as it is.......and we all love the same team.

Seven, Xelda and ColoCowboy like this.
  19. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

2,442 Messages
    2,372 Likes Received
    A bill was signed last week legalizing it nationwide.

Xelda likes this.
  20. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

14,011 Messages
    23,293 Likes Received
    I've been taking Celebrex for about 10 years and wondered how effective it was.....until they took me off of it for hip surgery. It is not without some side effect concerns but I would need something to replace it that is as effective.

The problem with a non-regulated area is any kind of quality control. This topic is hot right now and getting hotter and with that the profiteers get into it

There is no doubt that cannabis based products do help people but at this point, it is all about marketing.

Xelda and ColoCowboy like this.