CBS Sports and Tony Romo have mutually agreed to part ways

Whatever you think of Tony...the bench of announcers at CBS is thin. The best talkers go into podcasting/influencing ...many of them don't want the travel/rigor/hassle of working for a big network and calling games.
 
I’m guessing Romo got a nice buyout as well.
Should go nicely with his current net worth of 80-100 million.

Parcells said that Romo has an elite football mind so he needs to utilize that in some way in the future.

First priority is to get the help he needs and start the next chapter of his life.

Way too young to retire at 46
 
You gotta be a Madden to make it to the HOF as an announcer
Technically he is enshrined as a coach, not an announcer. No doubt his announcing played a part in it though. However, I do not believe anyone has been enshrined as just an announcer. I can think of Dierdorf, Gifford, and Dawson as announcers in the hall, but they were all player enshrinements. Probably others I am forgetting, I'm sure.
 
I liked Romo as as announcer. He added a lot more to the game then the vanilla announcers like Watt and Brady. Only a few can do it.

Sounds like he's got to take care of some personal things. I'm sure he'll land on his feet.
 
Wow, feel bad for the guy but as someone else said here recently, maybe there was more over the years than just that traffic stop.

Wonder what the payout was.
CBS has felt the need to meet with him over his performance and preparation in the past. So its quite possible they saw the arrest as an out
 
He was never returning his role as lead analyst, but I thought it would be a demotion vs firing.

There will be opportunities for him if he wants to continue.

The old guard is getting long in the tooth, and TV rights have been expanded.
I dont think they would demote him with that contract. I dont see them paying him that much to be on the B team.
 
Give him a year, maybe two. He will be back. If not a 2nd or 3rd team announcer. Maybe start out in a studio being a talking head for a year or two.

Maybe he can replace worn out Terry Bradshaw.
Studio maybe. No one is going to offer him money to be a #1 guy and he probably wont take less. CBS had issues with his work ethic at 18 million a year. How much preparation do you think he will making what B or C team analysts make

Studio guys make alot less, but they dont have nearly as much work
 
The immediate shtick of him predicting plays before they happened, quickly got toned down and then done away with by CBS.
I wouldn't label knowing the subject matter so thoroughly that you could predict the next move as a "schtick".

It was teams around the league complaining that he was basically providing every other team a detailed scouting report that led the network to ask him to stop predicting & explaining what he was seeing.

So they took the magic away from the magician and then are left asking why they are paying so much for just a talking head. 90-95% of this is about that. Not any "other" issues.
 
Rehab for a DUI? Lmao
He admitted that he had developed an opiod addiction from his back problems and that trying to kick that led him to his drinking problem.

His problems run deeper than a careless dui.
 
From articles over the years, CBS had talks with Romo with his on-air antics i.e. weird comments, noises, getting overly excited and just strange behavior. This sounds like the excuse to move on from him.

I always thought Romo was a terrible announcer. The immediate shtick of him predicting plays before they happened, quickly got toned down and then done away with by CBS.
all those goofy noised and weird behavior is why he was hard to listen to
 
Nantz needs to go as well, he's very boring.
I agree he's getting older and it might be time for a change ... but these guys aren't supposed to be "entertaining" for 3 hours. Their first job is to stay out of the way of the game & fill dead time for viewers at home with game information.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,038
Messages
14,658,701
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top