CBS Sports - Dak Ranked a Top 5 QB (5)

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
"taking into consideration a QB's resume, upside and current team situation."

Sounds about right given the criteria. Dak is young enough to take another step forward as a passer, more wins than losses on his resume, and has a stacked offense around him. I wont fault most lists that have dak anywhere in the #5-#10 spots.

erod

Reaction score
Because we watched his Bears, Bills, Jets, Saints, Patriots and Eagles performance debacles last year.

And we know he built a season of stats basically on five games against the Commanders, Giants, and Dolphins.

I'll watch to see how he plays against legitimate teams in big moments this season. That's where me needs to prove himself.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
He's our quarterback and in three days or so I'll be cheering for him. Top 5, top 10, or a bus driver with a DUI, he's the guy. Where he ranks will always be a matter of opinion, the team he quarterbacks, not so much.

Let's Go Cowboys! Beat the Rams! :flagwave:

Carson

Reaction score
Because we watched his Bears, Bills, Jets, Saints, Patriots and Eagles performance debacles last year.

And we know he built a season of stats basically on five games against the Commanders, Giants, and Dolphins.

I'll watch to see how he plays against legitimate teams in big moments this season. That's where me needs to prove himself.

Not arguing either side here.

Just stating the Jets and Patriot games are hard to compare to the rest.

The Jets game was without Smith, Collins, Coop, Gallup and Cobb. He was throwing to Austin and Smith.

The Patriot game was a monsoon and the Patriots didn’t do much either. They just made a play or two we did not.

The other games I’ll give you. Just simply stating in those two games most QBs not named Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes would find it tough to win.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Imagine everything that comes out of your mouth being 100% wrong. See you on twitter

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Hold a small cup.....he ain't changing in his 5th year and no one is saving him on their talent shoulders!

cern

Reaction score
sounds about right. mahomey, watson, jackson, wilson and then dak is not unrealistic. there are a few who are now in their 40's that once were among the best, but they really aren't any longer. it will be interesting to see how brady, brees and ben perform this year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If you are going to say that, why not say Rodgers built a season of stats on 5 games against the Lions, Oakland, Giants and KC? He had more yards (1583 to 1480) and the same number of TDs (16) in those 5 games as Dak did in the 5 games you mentioned.

In addition, those 5 games made up 40% of Rodgers yardage total and 62% of his TD total, whereas the games you mentioned for Dak only made up 30% of his yardage total and 53% of his TD total.

Now, I'm not saying Dak is as good a QB as Rodgers, but this argument is nonsense. Every other NFL QB gets credit for their big games, but somehow Dak isn't supposed to?

As for the other games you called "devbacles", I agree those weren't Dak's best games, but he averaged 278 yards per game in those games, so its not as if he didn't move the ball with his arm. The failure to get in the end zone enough is certainly at least partially on him, but it's also on the rest of the offense and the coaching as well. The notion that losses are all on the QB is false. He doesn't get to take sole credit for every win over his career, so why does he take sole blame for the losses?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Pretty accurate list...I think Brees is a bit high for this season but if father time doesn't catch up with him he'll be up there.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember when the narrative was Dak could not average over 200 Y/G.
But yet, Aikman was just under 200 Y/G himself, 199.6 I think. Even Montana was only a little bit over 200, without looking it up, I think it was around 206 Y/G

Now Dak is around 246 Y/G.
So the haters are now throwing out not winning against winning teams. But yet they will not post how the QB's they compare him against are no better, or not much better either. Yes there are those stats out there as well.
Last time I knew, football was the ultimate team game. But I guess that does not exist for Dak.

But why am I wasting my time posting this, as it does not matter to them....well, because I a laugh is always good to see them squirm. It eats away at them to hate, err...dislike so much.
:lmao:

Cowboys :flagwave:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
But, but according to the anti Dak club in the Zone, Dak sucks and Dalton should be the starter.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
CBS Sports just ranked NFL QBs and Dak is ranked #5. It's hard to believe half of all Cowboy fans want a different QB.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...n-dak-prescott-crack-top-five-to-open-season/

So because CBS ranks Dak as a Top 5 QB that makes it so?

Let's see, is Dak better then these guys:

Mahomes: NO

Brees: NO

Rodgers: NO

Jackson: NO

Wilson: NO

Brady: NO

Watson: NO

Wentz: NO

Ryan: NO

Dak is at best a Top 10-12 QB but that is only based on statistics and not the ability to lift the team deep into the playoffs. If he can lead the team deep into the playoffs then his ranking would rise but he has yet to do that.....this season will prove what he is in Dallas as there is no excuses this season given the talent on offense and defense.

erod

Reaction score
Not arguing either side here.

Just stating the Jets and Patriot games are hard to compare to the rest.

The Jets game was without Smith, Collins, Coop, Gallup and Cobb. He was throwing to Austin and Smith.

The Patriot game was a monsoon and the Patriots didn’t do much either. They just made a play or two we did not.

The other games I’ll give you. Just simply stating in those two games most QBs not named Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes would find it tough to win.

5-0 against three of the worst teams in the NFL. 3-8 against everybody else.

Of course that's not all Dak's fault. But he didn't put this team on his back once last year and just will them to a win. Good defenses just dominated him.

Until that changes, he's a middling QB in the NFL with modern fancy stats rolled up against the dregs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

ItzKelz

Reaction score
CBS Sports just ranked NFL QBs and Dak is ranked #5. It's hard to believe half of all Cowboy fans want a different QB.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...n-dak-prescott-crack-top-five-to-open-season/
200.gif

erod

Reaction score
So because CBS ranks Dak as a Top 5 QB that makes it so?

Let's see, is Dak better then these guys:

Mahomes: NO

Brees: NO

Rodgers: NO

Jackson: NO

Wilson: NO

Brady: NO

Watson: NO

Wentz: NO

Ryan: NO

Dak is at best a Top 10-12 QB but that is only based on statistics and not the ability to lift the team deep into the playoffs. If he can lead the team deep into the playoffs then his ranking would rise but he has yet to do that.....this season will prove what he is in Dallas as there is no excuses this season given the talent on offense and defense.
I'll take it further.

This season, will he be better than Murray, Cousins, Lock, Darnold, Goff, or even Burrow or Tua?

He's a middling QB.