Video: CBS Sports: Jason La Canfora - Dak wanted Franchise Tag Language removed

Gaede

Reaction score
Lol, better than ever. Down 3+ touchdowns to Cleveland and Atlanta, and losing to the lowly Giants when he got hurt.
He put up record numbers his first few games. Don't be stupid.

conner01

Reaction score
I never said Dak wasn't good.

I think Dak is good. Keep up.

I've been very clear what kind of QB's I think should be given elite money to and the Dak's of the league shouldn't get it unless they already have a title like Flacco.
If having a title is the only way you sign your QB then you are likely to have a few more decades waiting

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If having a title is the only way you sign your QB then you are likely to have a few more decades waiting

The QB market has become outrageous and a lot of these QBs just go as their team go anyways.

You put Tannehill with the Dolphins and he’s not that good.. You put him with Tennessee and he is top 10.

So in this market I want the cheap QB unless they are great because most of these guys are good for 25-30 TDs, 10-15 picks, and 63% - 68% completion percentage. That’s what Dak is and there is 15- 20 other guys who can do that.

He’s got 1 whole wildcard victory in 5 years and clearly needs a amazing roster around him to ever win anything and we will not get our cake and eat it too by paying him.

Id rather move on then have to sit through the inevitable.

Romo taught us this lesson first hand along with several other examples in the league. We need to learn from it instead of making this same mistake.

nobody

Reaction score
This simple concept is something that boggles me every time a fan says something about athletes being paid too much. They are worth what someone is willing to pay them. Dak was top 5 in jersey sales or something like that at one point. He deserves to get paid for it.

You have to be using sarcasm there....because I'm sorry, but jersey sales as a reason for getting paid has to be the absolutely stupidest reason I've heard for paying Dak.

Contracts are about what a player might do for the team in the future...not what they've done or what sales are. The real question is, is Dak worth what he's asking as far as how it relates to the salary cap? The pie is only so large and there are 53 players on the team.

Paying Dak more means paying less at other positions. You need talent to get to the Super Bowl. It's not just who has the better QB. Few QB's can elevate and dominate to overcome a lack of talent around them. Dak hasn't shown himself to be that kind of QB. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good QB and I hope we keep him, but not at the expense of other talent.

Creeper

Reaction score
So according to this report, pieced together with other reports, Dak refused to sign a 5 year deal AND he wanted a clause in his contract that prevents the Cowboys from every using the franchise tag on him again? This is absurd. Dak is the QB, not a LB, Of course the Cowboys are going to want some continuity at the QB position, especially if they commit another 4 or 5 years to Dak. Dak is asking for Dallas to give up all of its leverage and that is just dumb if they do. What is Dak going to give up in return? Would he sign a contract that stipulates he will not ask for more than a certain amount of money when this contract is up? Of course he won't. If Dak is worried about his future then he can sign a 8 year deal or even a 10 year deal. But he doesn't want that because he wants to get paid market value for his career in the NFL. That is not unreasonable, but why should the Cowboys be put in a position of having to pay him more than market value by giving up whatever bargaining chips they have?

Honestly, this new report makes me think even more Dak is too focused on the money. If they franchise him again, then I will be more than fine with them trading him for draft picks. This entire contract thing has gotten out of hand and I am beginning to think the problem is Dak or his agent. This will become a distraction for the team and a stench in the locker room.

And the report is wrong, the Cowboys did offer Dak a contract last year. He didn't want to sign it.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
You have to be using sarcasm there....because I'm sorry, but jersey sales as a reason for getting paid has to be the absolutely stupidest reason I've heard for paying Dak.

Contracts are about what a player might do for the team in the future...not what they've done or what sales are. The real question is, is Dak worth what he's asking as far as how it relates to the salary cap? The pie is only so large and there are 53 players on the team.

Paying Dak more means paying less at other positions. You need talent to get to the Super Bowl. It's not just who has the better QB. Few QB's can elevate and dominate to overcome a lack of talent around them. Dak hasn't shown himself to be that kind of QB. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good QB and I hope we keep him, but not at the expense of other talent.

I completely disagree with this.

He is a good, no, VERY GOOD athlete. He has TREMENDOUS heart and will. He has become a great leader and learned to read defenses much better, but he still lacks arm talent and the ability to put the damn ball where it needs to be in key situations!!
More often than not, a receiver, typically on a slant will have to slow down and reach back to make a catch allowing a DB to catch-up to them and tackle them when a well placed ball would have allowed them them to gain even more YAC. How many times have we seen deep passes caught by receivers that should have been TD's but they had to almost stop due to the pass being underthrown allowing a badly beat CB to catch up? How many times have we seen folks in the 3rd, 4th even the 10th and higher rows at AT&T catch some of his passes? Very good QB? No, no. Capable of winning a SB? Yes, with a solid defense and a good running game behind a good o-line. Not for franchise QB money though. Take a realistic paycheck #4. Be grateful to be where you are. Yes, I did say that!

conner01

Reaction score
The QB market has become outrageous and a lot of these QBs just go as their team go anyways.

You put Tannehill with the Dolphins and he’s not that good.. You put him with Tennessee and he is top 10.

So in this market I want the cheap QB unless they are great because most of these guys are good for 25-30 TDs, 10-15 picks, and 63% - 68% completion percentage. That’s what Dak is and there is 15- 20 other guys who can do that.

He’s got 1 whole wildcard victory in 5 years and clearly needs a amazing roster around him to ever win anything and we will not get our cake and eat it too by paying him.

Id rather move on then have to sit through the inevitable.

Romo taught us this lesson first hand along with several other examples in the league. We need to learn from it instead of making this same mistake.
If you want to win in the NFL you need a good QB and a good overall team
Brady beat the best QB because he had a good team around him
The only reason we don’t have a good overall team has nothing to do with cap space but poor decisions made in personnel and the staff
For what we spent last year on FA we could have got a very good player who could have helped this team
But what we wanted vets for depth and to fill all your depth with vets costs as much a an really good player
Depth should be late picks, UDFA and such for the most part
There are a few depth positions you need a vet. Swing tackle and QB, maybe center
But if you get these young guys reps then they can fill rolls we’ve filled with 3rd tier vets

Cowfan75

Reaction score
The market is the market, so you can't fault Dak for trying to build his empire, but all of this fuss over an 8-8 QB. Just move on already.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If you want to win in the NFL you need a good QB and a good overall team
Brady beat the best QB because he had a good team around him
The only reason we don’t have a good overall team has nothing to do with cap space but poor decisions made in personnel and the staff
For what we spent last year on FA we could have got a very good player who could have helped this team
But what we wanted vets for depth and to fill all your depth with vets costs as much a an really good player
Depth should be late picks, UDFA and such for the most part
There are a few depth positions you need a vet. Swing tackle and QB, maybe center
But if you get these young guys reps then they can fill rolls we’ve filled with 3rd tier vets

If you want to win championships in this league then you need an elite QB, a cheap vet, or a QB outplaying their rookie contract.

Please never say that Tom Brady did it this way so Dak can.. Brady has 7 Superbowls and Dak has 1 wildcard victory against an outmatched Seattle team.

conner01

Reaction score
If you want to win championships in this league then you need an elite QB, a cheap vet, or a QB outplaying their rookie contract.

Please never say that Tom Brady did it this way so Dak can.. Brady has 7 Superbowls and Dak has 1 wildcard victory against an outmatched Seattle team.
Tom Brady didn’t win anything by himself
His TEAM was better than what Mahomes had

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Tom Brady didn’t win anything by himself
His TEAM was better than what Mahomes had

Very simple way to look at it..

But...

He also threw 40 TD passes this season with 12 picks on a team that would be lucky sniff the playoffs without him.

He raises the standard and gets people believing in a Superbowl the moment he walks through the door.

Also, if you didn't notice, he gets players to comeplay for cheaper and rings chase.

My point is... Don't compare Dak to Brady. Dak has had an incredible supporting cast around him to start his career and has 1 whole wildcard win.

If Dak had started his career in Chicago you wouldn't even think about him but since he's here he has been overhyped by people like yourself that want to compare him to a 7 time Superbowl Champion.

slick325

Reaction score
so all the other teams that are trading away "their" guys should have given up the right when originally signing "their" guys?

We aren't comparing apples to apples are we? Those players never played under the franchise tag already, got injured and now face the tag again if no long term deal is signed by July 15th.

All negotiations are specific things. They don't exist in a vacuum. The facts above makes Dak's negotiation different. So does the fact that those other players (I suspect you mean Goff, Wentz and Stafford) all were still under contract when they received extensions. Dak hasn't been under contract since the end of 2019. This is not an extension.

Sydla

Reaction score
Its a tough spot for all involved. Dak is good enough that you probably can't let him walk in a QB deficient league but he's not "elite" enough IMO to justify making him the highest (or 2nd highest) paid QB. What would be interesting is if Dallas had a Top 3 pick in this draft and a shot at QB they really like. Would that change the calculus here?

slick325

Reaction score
Yea except for the team it takes away leverage and multiple options

Not true. Not everyone gets the same deal or same terms. Each negotiation is an animal in and of itself. Neither one of his asks are unreasonable IMHO.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score

Apparently you aren't capable of understanding a nuanced point. Jersey sales are a mere reflection of the larger point. That fans are the reasons that players make the money they do. You're smarter than that, don't be derailed here.