CeeDee Lamb: 46 receptions on 56 targets

MyFairLady

Reaction score
People act like players want to sign the day they are eligible.

Guys who are in line for top of the market deals don’t try to sign early lol. I’m sure Stephan wanted to sign him as soon as he could, it would just make 0 sense on Lamb’s part. He’d easily miss out on 8-10M AAV.
Can you explain to me the difference between Lamb and Diggs then. Was Diggs foolish to sign his deal?

817Gill

Reaction score
Can you explain to me the difference between Lamb and Diggs then. Was Diggs foolish to sign his deal?
Trevon Diggs doesn’t play WR, that’s his brother. The CB market and the WR market are two totally different markets.

CB market is basically capped and Diggs doesn’t have record-setting leverage. WR market just exploded in 2021-22 and guys are going from 18-22M for WR1 to 30+.

Lamb isn’t dumb and he isn’t a corner. He’s a top 8 guy at a position that pays more than almost anything other than QB. The difference is in the markets and positional values.

Diggs waiting a year may have netted him 2-3M more for AAV. Is that worth it? No, and his injury proves that. Lamb waits a year and goes from 24M AAV to 34M+ AAV. That’s a significant difference in salary.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Diggs was a 2nd round pick and was probably making less than half per annum than Lamb is. He was also not subject to the 5th year option so there was more urgency to get his deal done.

Thomas82

Reaction score
That 82.1% catch rate is #1 among starting receivers in the league. That kid is money.. McCarthy would be a complete idiot not to come to him more. I think Dak has figured it out that's for sure. What is it 22? targets the last two games? That's like a 180+ target pace for the season. That's how you should use your #1 receiver.. Let us hope it stays that way for years to come.
Cosign!! All facts!!

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agreed I seem to remember thinking to myself he was basically one of the few guys that did show up. I am going by memory but I do not have that opinion of him at all. Diggs did not show up then help out for more money and is now gone. Lamb showed up and now he is crushing it on a rookie deal.
What in the world are you talking about? Diggs didn't hold out for more money

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Trevon Diggs doesn’t play WR, that’s his brother. The CB market and the WR market are two totally different markets.

CB market is basically capped and Diggs doesn’t have record-setting leverage. WR market just exploded in 2021-22 and guys are going from 18-22M for WR1 to 30+.

Lamb isn’t dumb and he isn’t a corner. He’s a top 8 guy at a position that pays more than almost anything other than QB. The difference is in the markets and positional values.

Diggs waiting a year may have netted him 2-3M more for AAV. Is that worth it? No, and his injury proves that. Lamb waits a year and goes from 24M AAV to 34M+ AAV. That’s a significant difference in salary.
Respectfully disagree. Feels like you are just making stuff up.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Diggs was a 2nd round pick and was probably making less than half per annum than Lamb is. He was also not subject to the 5th year option so there was more urgency to get his deal done.
At the end of the day they were both players on their rookie deals who were severely underpaid relative to performance and had the ability to hold out for life changing money. People can rationalize it however they want.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand the Cowboys want to spread the football around in order to not be predictable, but Lamb is the number one weapon on this offense and you NEED to manufacture him touches.

It took a while but the coaching staff is finally realizing this.
Tua throws 3/4 of his passes to 2 guys. He throws to them so often bc they make plays. Our offense needs to reward playmakers not share the ball equally like some kind of offensive play calling experiment in communism.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Someone mentioned YAC I just hope he continues to protect the ball

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
He's turned into a fine player, but the 82% is apples and oranges compared to other stud WRs.

CeeDee's avg catch is less than 9 yards downfield. Hill, Diggs, AJ Brown, most of the league's top guys, are 10+. Brown is 13.4 yds down field on avg, almost 5 yds further than CD. The inflated # of short passes Lamb has caught puts him high in the % of targets. Perhaps the most revealing stat, yds/target, he's back in the pack a bit.

817Gill

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. Feels like you are just making stuff up.
You disagree about the markets? It’s a pure fact lol just look at the salaries for both position groups.

The highest paid CB is Jaire Alexander at 21AAV. The highest paid WR is Tyreek Hill at 30AAV. 9M more difference.

As I said in my post, a WR waiting a year can make 8-10M more. A CB waiting a year won’t because their market isn’t driving up as far. We signed Amari in 2021 to a 20M deal. 2 years later top of the market is 30M. The top CB salary in 2021 was 20M, that’s only a 1M dollar rise in the top of the CB market. Ergo, waiting a year as a CB nets you maybe a couple more M’s. Waiting a year as a WR can net you much more.

You can’t just say “I don’t believe you” when the other person is laying out facts and data. Either refute with your own data or learn. What kind of a world do people just wave off information because they “don’t believe it”?

If you want the answer to your question, it’s simple. CB markets are not WR markets. Just like RB markets aren’t OL markets. They make different amounts and their high end is reset at differing intervals. It’s really not rocket science and I thought most normal fans knew different positions operate differently. Guess not.