Cell phone use while driving

Flamma

Reaction score
Someone please make this make sense. In most states you're supposed to use a hands free device to talk on your phone. What's the point? I always use a hands free device to talk on the phone, but only to free up the hand not on the wheel to hold a coffee, or cigarette. And apparently that's just fine. But God forbid it's a phone you're holding, that's a ticket.

What's the difference between holding the wheel with one hand, and a cigarette/coffee/BigMac or phone in the other? Some will say, the phone is distracting. It's distracting with or without a hands free device. I can see and agree with laws against looking at your phone while driving. But taking up one hand doesn't seem to make any sense.

1942willys

Reaction score
personally I think anything that takes any attention at all from driving is bad

Talking and looking at the person next to you; fiddling with the radio; talking on the phone
IF you are going to make one thing against the law then make them ALL against the law
half a seconds distraction is enough to kill

That said I would have been quiet happy if when cell phones first came out there was a law that every vehicle sold from that point on had a jammer that prevented the phone from being used as long as the vehicle was in gear and moving.
If you want to talk on the phone, pull over and stop.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Someone please make this make sense. In most states you're supposed to use a hands free device to talk on your phone. What's the point? I always use a hands free device to talk on the phone, but only to free up the hand not on the wheel to hold a coffee, or cigarette. And apparently that's just fine. But God forbid it's a phone you're holding, that's a ticket.

What's the difference between holding the wheel with one hand, and a cigarette/coffee/BigMac or phone in the other? Some will say, the phone is distracting. It's distracting with or without a hands free device. I can see and agree with laws against looking at your phone while driving. But taking up one hand doesn't seem to make any sense.
I think it’s partially legislators way of differentiating between talking on the phone and texting.

Yes I agree that talking on the phone even hands free is a distraction. I don’t do it unless it’s an emergency or a quick “I’ll call you back”.

What’s really bad is the people who are texting and driving. So dangerous.

Flamma

Reaction score

Talking and looking at the person next to you; fiddling with the radio; talking on the phone
IF you are going to make one thing against the law then make them ALL against the law

That said I would have been quiet happy if when cell phones first came out there was a law that every vehicle sold from that point on had a jammer that prevented the phone from being used as long as the vehicle was in gear and moving.
What’s really bad is the people who are texting and driving. So dangerous.
Here's the thing. A few years ago I used to listen to AM radio movies on my way to work. Just as distracting if not more than being on the phone because you're picturing everything. Should they not include radios in cars? I normally drive to work and back from work listening to one story or another. Totally hands free. With one hand on the wheel. I'm on autopilot and my mind is engrossed elsewhere. Yet they'll choose to penalize people for holding a phone.

I agree, texting or looking at your phone while driving is a big no no. You're going to eventually kill someone. Look at all of these electric cars with screens in the middle that people keep messing with. In many cases you have to deal with that screen for everything you do.

You'll never get pulled over for not having two hands on the wheel. You will get a ticket if one hand is on the phone.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone please make this make sense. In most states you're supposed to use a hands free device to talk on your phone. What's the point?
So many people use their phone for so much more than talking on it. That's the problem. You have to look at your phone doing those activities. I saw someone watching a video the other day going down the highway.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know it’s technically not driving, but I glance at every car heading to a red light. It is usually 9/10 of people with their phone in their faces :facepalm:

I don’t know how many times on the road their isn’t some idiot swerving in and out of lanes, like they are drunk but playing on the phone. I have almost been side swiped three times in the last month.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I personally think there's a big difference between driving on a highway with little to no traffic while talking on a phone versus trying to do so in chaotic super busy traffic. However, I don't touch my cell phone at any time while I'm driving. My insurance company has an app that monitors if I do so. The better I score, the lower my rates. So I play music from an MP3 player and I don't answer my phone when driving.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I personally think there's a big difference between driving on a highway with little to no traffic while talking on a phone versus trying to do so in chaotic super busy traffic.
There are far more things that can go wrong on a city street going 35-40 MPH than on a highway build for 60-65 MPH.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Like it's been mentioned in a couple other posts, the problem isn't talking on the phone, it's the texting or just generally fiddling with your phone or apps that's the real issue.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
I think the original intent of that law was to have both hands on the wheel in case you needed to perform evasive manuevers. Plus, it's distracting. However hands free can be just as distracting since your mind isn't really capable of 100% focusing on 2 things at once.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For one thing, people tend to look at their phones more when they're holding them. Also, if they drop it, then they have to try to catch it, or pick it up as soon as it hits the floor...just like a cigarette. But it honestly seems to me that when you're holding your phone, it becomes more immersive than it does when using Bluetooth. And when you're holding a drink or whatever, you just put it down the moment you need to, whereas with a phone, you're more likey to try to keep it where you can hear it and speak to it.

Now, none of that is as distracting as having a cockatoo on your arm while driving (which I've seen) or a dog on your lap (which pisses me off, because that's not a good substitute for an airbag), but there are so many people I see all day long, every single day, who simply find their phone calls more engaging than their driving is.

In short, maybe you can drive and talk on the phone just fine, but most people have enough trouble driving without a phone in their hand.

Flamma

Reaction score
So many people use their phone for so much more than talking on it. That's the problem. You have to look at your phone doing those activities. I saw someone watching a video the other day going down the highway.
The sad truth is, it's most people. I'm a toll collector in New Jersey and most cars that pull up have a driver actively using their phone. Even a bracket to hold their phone and are watching a video. Sending texts in the 10 seconds it takes for me to give them change. It's just a continuation of what they were already doing.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think the original intent of that law was to have both hands on the wheel in case you needed to perform evasive manuevers. Plus, it's distracting. However hands free can be just as distracting since your mind isn't really capable of 100% focusing on 2 things at once.
This is absolutely true, but the truth is, most people don't dedicate 100% to driving unless in a stressful situation. If it's pouring rain at night and I can barely see, or snowing and 100% concentration is on driving, I don't even hear the radio. So I turn everything off. Another situation is when you're concentrating on where you are going so you don't miss a turn. Everything else is a distraction. You notice it in those situations.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I never answer a phone when i am busy with something like eating drinking driving..etc... let them wait I call them later

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

You’re joking right? Either that or you’re on an acid trip.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

That’s not a bad idea but it would never fly. People feel they have the right to do whatever even if it leads to their ultimate death. Freedom damn it!

lukin2006

Reaction score
in Ontario where I live it’s a 3000 dollar fine if you are caught using your phone while driving…

Thats Canadian peso’s. So to you Americans thats $62 dollars… :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
in Ontario where I live it’s a 3000 dollar fine if you are caught using your phone while driving…

Thats Canadian peso’s. So to you Americans thats $62 dollars… :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
It's been a while since I read the law, where it pertains to truck drivers, but I think if I get caught it's potentially a $2750.00 fine for me, and up to $11,000 for my employer.

Edit: Just looked it up, and I remembered correctly.