Center of No Attention: Cowboys' position depth unheralded, untested

plasticman

Reaction score
Pro Bowl voting is one third fans, one third coaches, and one third players. I understand that the original Pro Bowl choice was Kelce but he had to play in the Super Bowl. Still, out of 15 remaining NFC starting centers, Biadasz was the next guy up?

If he is an average center at this point, why did coaches and players give him the nod? Or am I to believe that Biadasz was so popular with fans that it canceled out the coaches and players lower vote count?

Something is wrong here.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Pro Bowl voting is one third fans, one third coaches, and one third players. I understand that the original Pro Bowl choice was Kelce but he had to play in the Super Bowl. Still, out of 15 remaining NFC starting centers, Biadasz was the next guy up?

If he is an average center at this point, why did coaches and players give him the nod? Or am I to believe that Biadasz was so popular with fans that it canceled out the coaches and players lower vote count?

Something is wrong here.
#Biadasz is for real.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Farniok has looked pretty decent at center when given a chance. He is generally untested, but I don't feel overly concerned about center depth. We kept Lindstrom last year and added Hoffman, and it's possible that Richards could play there if needed.

Biadasz should be the unquestioned starter at this point, so we're just talking depth.
At first glance, the Cowboys center position is as ho-hum as it comes. Tyler Biadasz, 25, is a multi-year starter looking to take another step in his development. With 45 career starts to his name and no veteran challengers breathing down his neck, he’s essentially a lock to win the top spot on the depth chart.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...hem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook
Physically, I think Farniok is as good as Biadasz/McGovern at OC/OG and possibly better.

Experience is the issue. A player with 2 career starts would have to be significantly better than a player with 37 career starts in order to challenge for the starting OC position.

At LG, Farniok is likely competing with Edoga as the top backup with Tyler Smith the likely starter at LG.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the problem with paying a QB so much money. You have to piece together the bottom 3rd of the roster with FA scraps and rookies. Dallas starters always lines up great on paper with most teams. But god forbid someone gets injured, the drop-off between starters and their backups is more precipitous than other top tier teams. Combine that with a FO that does not wheel and deal or recognize weaknesses and you get the 2023 Dallas Cowboys. We have zero depth at CB, LB, DT, rb ........the positional back-ups here would struggle to make another NFL roster.

plasticman

Reaction score
#Biadasz is for real.
That is my conclusion as well.

I'm bothered by this statement:

"While PFF offensive line grades can be flawed, they grade the entire field by the same standards. So even if it’s a potentially flawed method, it is uniformly applied to all."

Well, specifically, what "potentially flawed method" is that? Does this standard involve some type of visual analysis by an individual? If so, how unbiased should we expect him to be? Since the author of this article is relying on PFF extensively, does he follow and concur with their analysis or is he simply accepting it as being factual?

Whatever this method is, apparently the players and coaches around the NFL disagree with it.

"For as good as Biadasz has been as a former fourth-round pick, he hasn’t progressed much above replacement level as a pro."

Allow me to correct that, he left a word off at the end:

"For as good as Biadasz has been as a former fourth-round pick, he hasn’t progressed much above replacement level as a pro-BOWLER."

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

Something is wrong here.
Alternates aren't voted for that way. The NFL hasn't published how they do that, but it's probably just PR.

Tyler Huntley was named an alternate...