Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
link

Argonauts owner blasts Theismann
Says criticism of Williams signing 'thoughtless'

Associated Press
Published on: 06/01/06

Toronto —
Argonauts co-owner David Cynamon said the criticism of the team's signing of Ricky Williams by Joe Theismann were thoughtless considering the drug history of the ESPN commentator's own son, the Toronto Sun reported Thursday.

Theismann told a Toronto radio station earlier this week that Williams, who signed with the Argos on Sunday after being suspended by the NFL for the entire 2006 season following a fourth positive drug test, is a drug addict who needs help.

Theismann's son, Joe, pleaded guilty in 2002 to a felony charge of dealing cocaine and a misdemeanor charge of possessing drug paraphernalia. He received a 10-year suspended prison term, was placed on five years of probation and fined.

"It's really a delicate subject for him to attack someone if he has that in his own family," Cynamon said. "If I was his son and he's calling (Williams) a drug addict and he should quit and he's a loser, I'd be shattered. This thing is really bothersome."

Theismann, a former NFL quarterback who began his pro career with the Argonauts in 1971, also called the organization "classless" for signing Williams and said he was embarrassed to have worn the team's logo.

"For him to come out and say he was embarrassed to wear the logo ... that is a real slap in the face," Cynamon said. "I was shattered. (Co-owner Howard Sokolowki), Keith (Pelley, the team's president) and me are not bad people. We don't deserve treatment like that."

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
The Canadian Press reports the Toronto Argonauts teased former CFL/NFL QB Joe Theismann Friday, June 2, during a stoppage of play. Theismann recently criticized the CFL club for signing RB Ricky Williams and said he was ashamed to have worn the A on his helmet. During the second quarter, the Argonauts ran an ad on the Jumbotron with Theismann wearing a helmet with the old A emblem on it. A giant pencil then appeared and proceeded to rub out the A, after which the words "Happy Now Joe?" appeared. The ad drew a big cheer from the spectators in attendance.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
I can't believe that Theisman actually has a job commenting on football, or anything for that matter.

burmafrd

Reaction score
CFL is minor league compared to the NFL. But its major league comapred to NFL europe.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
"Theismann's son, Joe, pleaded guilty in 2002 to a felony charge of dealing cocaine and a misdemeanor charge of possessing drug paraphernalia. He received a 10-year suspended prison term, was placed on five years of probation and fined."

:lmao2: Joe is a complete ******.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You would think that Theismann's impotent, pent-up frustration would be directed solely at Lawrence Taylor, but noooo... :rolleyes:

VACowboy

Reaction score
If it wasn't so sad it would be funny. Not only is Theisman ignorant, he's a hypocrite who has overtly condemned his own son (who was apparantly a cocaine dealer, not just a pot smoker).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DallasEast said:
You would think that Theismann's impotent, pent-up frustration would be directed solely at Lawrence Taylor, but noooo... :rolleyes:
:lmao:

Snap.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
My Commander fan cousins never liked Theisman. Whenever Washington lost, it was Theisman's fault. Whenever they won, it was because the team managed to overcome the tremendous disadvantage of having Theisman in the game.

Remember his one-yard punt against the Bears in 1984?

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:
I can't believe that Theisman actually has a job commenting on football, or anything for that matter.

Just think, we get to see that loudmouth bum every Monday night... I sure miss the good ole' days with Al, Frank, and Howard... Heck give me Dandy Don... RIGHT NOW!!!

Hey Don... GIMME one of those Lipton backflops into the swimming pool!!!:eek:

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
BigDFan5 said:
link

Argonauts owner blasts Theismann
Says criticism of Williams signing 'thoughtless'

Associated Press
Published on: 06/01/06

Toronto —
Argonauts co-owner David Cynamon said the criticism of the team's signing of Ricky Williams by Joe Theismann were thoughtless considering the drug history of the ESPN commentator's own son, the Toronto Sun reported Thursday.

Theismann told a Toronto radio station earlier this week that Williams, who signed with the Argos on Sunday after being suspended by the NFL for the entire 2006 season following a fourth positive drug test, is a drug addict who needs help.

Theismann's son, Joe, pleaded guilty in 2002 to a felony charge of dealing cocaine and a misdemeanor charge of possessing drug paraphernalia. He received a 10-year suspended prison term, was placed on five years of probation and fined.

"It's really a delicate subject for him to attack someone if he has that in his own family," Cynamon said. "If I was his son and he's calling (Williams) a drug addict and he should quit and he's a loser, I'd be shattered. This thing is really bothersome."

Theismann, a former NFL quarterback who began his pro career with the Argonauts in 1971, also called the organization "classless" for signing Williams and said he was embarrassed to have worn the team's logo.

"For him to come out and say he was embarrassed to wear the logo ... that is a real slap in the face," Cynamon said. "I was shattered. (Co-owner Howard Sokolowki), Keith (Pelley, the team's president) and me are not bad people. We don't deserve treatment like that."

On a fairly irrelevant side-note, it appears that the word "shattered" is a Canadian favorite.

Learn somethin new every day..

DefendeR

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
CFL is minor league compared to the NFL. But its major league comapred to NFL europe.

I'm finding it difficult to find the relevance of that statement to the content of this thread.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:
My Commander fan cousins never liked Theisman. Whenever Washington lost, it was Theisman's fault. Whenever they won, it was because the team managed to overcome the tremendous disadvantage of having Theisman in the game.

Remember his one-yard punt against the Bears in 1984?

That was AWESOME! :lmao2:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Theismann's comments got a lot of press up here. As a local jock talk radio guy said, where was Joe when Dexter Manley was his teammate?

tunahelper

Reaction score
Hey-

Several years ago Howard Stern interviewed Theismann's ex-girlfriend. She talked about how he stalked her, and was a real nut job. Apparently he claimed he was going to commit suicide, so this guy should shut his stupid mouth!

Typical Commander?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
tunahelper said:
Hey-

Several years ago Howard Stern interviewed Theismann's ex-girlfriend. She talked about how he stalked her, and was a real nut job. Apparently he claimed he was going to commit suicide, so this guy should shut his stupid mouth!

Typical Commander?
I never heard about this.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Does it really surprise anyone that stupid things are coming out of Thighsman's(sic) mouth?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
2much2soon said:
Does it really surprise anyone that stupid things are coming out of Thighsman's(sic) mouth?
It would be a pleasant surprise if stupid things DIDN'T come out of his mouth.