Chad Kelly released

glimmerman

Reaction score
The Denver Broncos have been waiting for a potential opportunity to toss Chad Kelly into the starting lineup, but it might be a very good thing that Case Keenumplayed well and helped annihilate the Cardinals 45-10 last Thursday, because Kelly wouldn't be a very good guy to start this week, after he was arrested on Monday evening and charged with first-degree criminal trespassing.

It's a very bizarre situation, perhaps involving Von Miller's Halloween party, if you're willing to connect the dots. And the circumstances are just weird: according to police documents, Kelly, apparently dressed as a cowboy, stumbled into someone's house, sat down on their couch, "mumbled incoherently" and then got hit with a vacuum tube a bunch.

Yikes. Kelly didn't look THAT wonked out in his mugshot, although perhaps he's smiling because he's not entirely aware of the full circumstances of what happened?

The Broncos confirmed the arrest in a boiler-plate statement on Tuesday.

"We are disappointed that Chad Kelly was arrested early this morning," the Broncos said in a statement. "Our organization has been in contact with Chad, and we are in the process of gathering more information."

According to Nicki Jhabvala of The Athletic, the Broncos had a Halloween party on Monday night, hosted by Miller, at the Gothic Theater. Kelly was found sitting outside the Theater by his SUV when police arrived, responding to the call about him entering the residence.

Cornerback Chris Harris confirmed as much after apparently being concerned by a TMZ headline that said the Broncos were at a "cocaine-themed party." (Like, what would that even be?)

Kelly was the final pick of the 2017 NFL Draft, becoming Mr. Irrelevant in large part because of off-field concerns. He was arrested in 2014 after transferring from community college to Ole Miss, before later reaching a plea deal in the matter.

The nephew of Hall of Fame Billsquarterback Jim Kelly, there is undoubtedly a ton of talent in the young man. And he was probably just a few weeks away from a chance at starting for the Broncos. Keenum was paid handsomely this offseason, but Denver continued to struggle and there was a very good chance Kelly saw the field.

Now he faces a serious charge and could ultimately end up being released by Denver.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dude got wasted and then walked into someone's house and plants his butt on their couch. To me that is serious. In some states he legally could have been shot.
Its serious but maybe he can get some help for his drinking problem. I'm not saying we should get him just that it's something that could be possibly worked on

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That isn’t true. We don’t know what Jerry actually thinks of Dak of course he is gonna back him up. But we don’t know how jerry feels I’m sure it changes week to week. What we do know is with the addition of amari cooper Dak is going to be under a lot of pressure no more excuses. We are gonna gauge his play after the bye week, and we’ll see what he really has

Going back to work folks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am curious, when Romo started, everyone wanted him in. As it could have been any back up, people wanted a change.
Then I wonder if many of those that wanted him, 3 years later after 3, 8-8 seasons, late game picks and such. Wanted him gone.
Now since he is gone, wonder how many that did not like him, now act as if he is the best QB ever.

I have a few friends like this. Wanted him in, then hated him, now act like he was a SB winning QB.

This means nothing as Dak, Tony, or some other QB, but just makes me curious over the years how many fans go from one extreme to the other, then back.

People get frustrated. I watched it with Don Meredith and Danny White. Both very good QB but as a team were not getting to the championship and as QB you take the blame. I have heard coaches my entire life say QB get too much credit for wins and too much blame for loses. Personally I don't think Dak played poorly in this past game and felt he gave his team a chance in the end to come back. I will not claim he played perfect because he didn't but I liked how he was able to move the team for the TD drive and got us into range for the tie.

Lutonio

Reaction score
I can't say no emphatically enough to this. My dad and brothers are all ravenous Clemson fans, so I've heard news for a long time as they tracked him. He is clinically insane, and not even good enough to make the field. There are good reasons he has been bounced out of every team he has ever been on.

blumayne38

Reaction score

Going back to work folks.
Nah he is having his doubts just like we are. He just has to double down on his hand because it’s his hand and he’s already all in. But this is football if we are still in the thick of things and this offense is still not rolling....I don’t think it’s a stretch of the imagination to think he could make a QB change for a spark....

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Let's be serious for a moment.

Are some expecting Chad Kelly to come in and compete with Prescott and possibly win the starting position? Or are some expecting Chad Kelly to come in and serve as a backup?

Just asking because Jones sees Prescott as the permanent starter for the foreseeable future. That should serve as a gauge for how much anyone will rage for a player acquisition that is supremely and extremely unlikely to happen.

When I read this I was really just like "what is even the point of this?"

This isn't going to happen.