Chances of Garrett return

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same here. If he's back I will not be interested in the product until he is gone. I may not watch anymore if I find a better hobby.
Depends on how long you've had this Cowboys hobby. I watch now but without emotion or passion so if Garrett is there, I don't care. I don't watch for HC close ups on the sideline.

I want change for the sake of change because I've grown tired of the status quo but in no way do I think this is a move to make the team better, just different.

Until this team stops over evaluating talent based on their own optimistic potential angle, nothing really changes. I didn't see Garrett or Moore or Marinelli or Richard or any other coach fumble, throw a pick, miss a block, miss many tackles or make mental mistakes on the field. Posters are conveniently looking at the sideline when the problem is on the field.

This team tries to sell potential as talent and many buy into that but they don't even have to do that because the minute a player dons that Star, he automatically become a better player to some. This is a .500 team, maybe a shade better, talent wise.

Big_D

Reaction score
If Garrett is back Jerry can F off. This coaching decision will answer many questions. Specially the ridiculous 'Jerry really wants to win' argument. Those are just words and his actions will speak volumes.

Praxit

Reaction score
.he's done. That cup has been spilled. If Jerry does bring him back, the scrutiny will have no bounds. Could end up in serious backlash to Dallas biz.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Cowboys fan says approximately 5-10 %
Jerry approximately 30-50%

Chances I remain Cowboys fan within next two years after being Cowboys fan more than 50 years is approximately 10-20%

Obviously these stats are not really known. But, it is evident that the Cowboys are stuck in a mediocre mindset.

Thoughts?

Chances I don’t watch the Cowboys next year if Garrett is back is 100%. I’m done.

I am a season ticket holder, i'm just going to sell my tickets to other teams fans and make some money since thats all Jerry cares about. ill start rooting for Houston or KC or Denver and just make money off jerry.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Garrett is back Jerry can F off. This coaching decision will answer many questions. Specially the ridiculous 'Jerry really wants to win' argument. Those are just words and his actions will speak volumes.
But then again, that will subjective form the posters' viewpoint. If your guy gets hired, Booger wants to win.

He's already said what he wants, he wants to be comfortable with his HC. Garrett, Phillips and Campo made him comfortable; Parcells didn't. Which was the best HC?

stuckindc

Reaction score
Cowboys fan says approximately 5-10 %
Jerry approximately 30-50%

Chances I remain Cowboys fan within next two years after being Cowboys fan more than 50 years is approximately 10-20%

Obviously these stats are not really known. But, it is evident that the Cowboys are stuck in a mediocre mindset.

Thoughts?
Please don't even joke about something like that.

Big_D

Reaction score
But then again, that will subjective form the posters' viewpoint. If your guy gets hired, Booger wants to win.

He's already said what he wants, he wants to be comfortable with his HC. Garrett, Phillips and Campo made him comfortable; Parcells didn't. Which was the best HC?

It's not about my guy it's about this guy! Doesn't even matter who he hires at this point. He has to be rid of this situation and if he isn't, it tells you all you need to know. You're argument takes it right back to 'Jerry really wants to win' cause then he does not and that will be cemented in his legacy. I'm done listening to his reasoning whether he's comfortable or not.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not off the rails yet and if it ends up 7-9, that's not off the rails by NFL standards.

stash, there's a Garrett none of us know. He's that guy the owners know from the meetings, the networker, and they know who he works for and many also knew Parcells and know the Cowboys were his worst stop and he couldn;t get beyond .500. Garrett will get, form at least one owner, what few here are willing to give himn, the benefit of the doubt.

Everyone here just take a moment and consider one fact as I can guarantee you that every GM and owner in the NFL has done. Garrett was going into the last year of his contract and an inexperienced OC was forced on him, with a resounding stamp of approval from the loud mouthed owner, after embarrassing him publicly about the OC he thought he would have for his last year. Who does that? You think they're looking at Garrett as the problem here?

I am neither Garrett fan nor defender but I have watched how the NFL operates and the owners have watched how Booger operates. Through all of this 24 year exercise in futilty, what's the only constant?

Anyone that thinks he won;t get at least one offer needs to read The Peter Principle. It's real, I have personally witnessed it more times than I'd like to admit. It's all about failing up the ladder.

Ok, I'll agree to disagree, with this qualifier. He may get another offer at some point, and I consider even that slim. But I'll be very surprised if someone offers him a head coaching job for 2020.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, I'll agree to disagree, with this qualifier. He may get another offer at some point, and I consider even that slim. But I'll be very surprised if someone offers him a head coaching job for 2020.
Fair enough, I will be surprised at the opposite because I am looking outside my own bias against him in Dallas.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I'm sorry you cannot rule it out. This is Jerry, he'll spin it somehow and eventually it'll be September with a sold out AT&T Stadium. And life goes on in his world. If this team backdoors into the playoffs, be very concerned Cowboys fans...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not about my guy it's about this guy! Doesn't even matter who he hires at this point. He has to be rid of this situation and if he isn't, it tells you all you need to know. You're argument takes it right back to 'Jerry really wants to win' cause then he does not and that will be cemented in his legacy. I'm done listening to his reasoning whether he's comfortable or not.
Biggie, you maigh be done listening but that will not change the facts as stated by Booger.

I have never said he wants to win or not. He doesn't want to win more than being comfortable and having everything the way he wants it. He wants to win but he wants to be the face of the franchise as well and he knows his mentor did that so why can't he?

The impetus for change is that the magnifying glass is now on him instead of his HC, the guy paid to be the deflector. But I don't know how cornered he feels that he has to change his ways and let the HC have more power.

We need to ask ourselves the magic coach question. What guy out there could he hire and still get some credit if he goes all the way and not make it look like he had to admit he failed and had to do it the NFL way? Is that Meyer or Rivera or is that Riley or Ruhle?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sorry you cannot rule it out. This is Jerry, he'll spin it somehow and eventually it'll be September with a sold out AT&T Stadium. And life goes on in his world. If this team backdoors into the playoffs, be very concerned Cowboys fans...
Truer words never written here. And wouldn't he love a told ya so to all of the doubters? Because to doubt his boy is to doubt him.

But I've got one question about this. If Booger wants to keep him and Garrett wants to stay, wasn't a turnaround from 3-5 to win the division and a playoff game justification? Most weren't as upset about that LA loss as the posters here, some felt it partly a miracle season. I have doubts about Garrett wanting to be in the circus, he might be the little boy that did the opposite of runaway to join the circus.

And here's the kicker to that for me. It was the D that stunk up the Coliseum not Garrett's baby, the O. They let the OC go and kept the DC. And to top that off, do nothing to address the run D in the off season.

Big_D

Reaction score
Biggie, you maigh be done listening but that will not change the facts as stated by Booger.

I have never said he wants to win or not. He doesn't want to win more than being comfortable and having everything the way he wants it. He wants to win but he wants to be the face of the franchise as well and he knows his mentor did that so why can't he?

The impetus for change is that the magnifying glass is now on him instead of his HC, the guy paid to be the deflector. But I don't know how cornered he feels that he has to change his ways and let the HC have more power.

We need to ask ourselves the magic coach question. What guy out there could he hire and still get some credit if he goes all the way and not make it look like he had to admit he failed and had to do it the NFL way? Is that Meyer or Rivera or is that Riley or Ruhle?

Jerry being comfortable or earning his share of the credit doesn’t matter to me at all. That just takes a sad state of affairs and makes it worse. So this offseason decision is paramount for a team that’s been comfortable this entire time, but still doesn’t win.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Truer words never written here. And wouldn't he love a told ya so to all of the doubters? Because to doubt his boy is to doubt him.

But I've got one question about this. If Booger wants to keep him and Garrett wants to stay, wasn't a turnaround from 3-5 to win the division and a playoff game justification? Most weren't as upset about that LA loss as the posters here, some felt it partly a miracle season. I have doubts about Garrett wanting to be in the circus, he might be the little boy that did the opposite of runaway to join the circus.

And here's the kicker to that for me. It was the D that stunk up the Coliseum not Garrett's baby, the O. They let the OC go and kept the DC. And to top that off, do nothing to address the run D in the off season.

Don't spend too much time trying to rationalize what Jerry does. It's hazardous to your mental well being.

black label

Reaction score
giphy.gif

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry being comfortable or earning his share of the credit doesn’t matter to me at all. That just takes a sad state of affairs and makes it worse. So this offseason decision is paramount for a team that’s been comfortable this entire time, but still doesn’t win.
It is what it is.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Garrett is gone, you can bank on that. He wants out more than I want him out. I'll bet Jerry would keep him on if he was willing to stay.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett is gone, you can bank on that. He wants out more than I want him out. I'll bet Jerry would keep him on if he was willing to stay.
I think that whole Linehan fiasco was the straw. They didn't have to humiliate the guy like that, there were ways to work around that.

That's the problem with a family run business, too often an employee gets treated like family instead of a valued employee. I wonder if these HC candidates have thought back to that and their reaction at the time? If they didn't cringe, they're made for the job.