Change in Defense best for Ratliff

dboyz

Reaction score
Before the season, I predicted the change in defensive philosophy would be best for Spears. That hasn't quite turned out.

I think the change has probably benefited Ratliff the most. He couldn't really play two-gap Nose tackle, but in Phillips scheme he's done very well.

The change has been pretty good for Canty. I think if Newman had been healthy all season he might have made even more plays as Phillips seems to encourage more ballhawking, something that doesnt always seem to come naturally to Newman.

superpunk

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1826476 said:
Rat and Tank were getting blown off the ball Sunday.

What game were you watching?

They were overpursuing, no doubt (I don't even remember seeing Tank), but I didn't see them getting physically dominated.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
superpunk;1826480 said:

They were overpursuing, no doubt (I don't even remember seeing Tank), but I didn't see them getting physically dominated.

Then maybe it was just Tank but I remember seeing him getting blown off the LOS on almost every play.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ratliff looked like our best defensive player in the 2nd half

khiladi

Reaction score
superpunk;1826480 said:

I believe that was the real issue, as per Wade. Our lineman were getting deep in the gaps, creating space for the running backs. They were expecting Detroit to throw the ball.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Wade Phillips went out of his way to once again praise Jay Ratliff in his PC yesterday.

Nobody on defense played very well Sunday.

Ratliff made an absolutely huge play when he sacked the Lions RB on the Lions' 1 yard line to force them into a huge 3rd down, of which Anthony Henry promptely let them off the hook.