Video: Charean Williams Comments on Benefit of Coaching Changes

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good insight here

I've always felt that Charean is a quality journalist. Substance and reporting over controversy and flash.

And she's right on the money once again here. About the Dak contract holdup, about the team needing defense in the draft, and about coaching deficiencies not being an issue any longer.

Thanks for posting that.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Pro Football talk is an excellent source for analysis and no BS commentary. Love the work they do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy wants to prove his run in Green Bay wasn’t do those qbs. He put together a great staff and has the talent to make the leap forward....hopefully

I have the utmost faith that this Super Bowl winning coach and the staff that he has assembled will give this team a better opportunity for success than they have had since Parcells left.

Nav22

Reaction score
I hated the McCarthy hire originally but I’m getting excited about the upcoming season (if there even is one).

After last season, there’s nowhere to go but up in regards to coaching anyways.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
She's right in her comments about the defense but there is also an issue on the OL developing that can get much worse depending on how Connor Williams works out this season. I want one quality O lineman drafted in that mix of defense defense defense that she is proposing we draft. MM has to see this too.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing the new staff. I hope they can come out of the blocks quickly with a strong draft. There's nothing like being excited for Cowboys football :flagwave:

cowboyed

Reaction score
I believe this staff comprised of a number of former head coaches and led by a confident, experienced Mike McCarthy will take this team to the next level.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Good insight here

Seems like there's a lot of us chit chatting about WR, but defense defense defense from her. I can live with that. I don't want to see a WR before 3. Be happier at 4 and beyond.

Also, not a peep about the oline either.

1st Round (17) – 17th
2nd Round (19) – 51st
3rd Round (18) – 82nd
4th Round (17) – 122nd
5th Round (19) – 156th
5th Round Comp (2)- 180th - Beasley
* 6th Round (18) – 199th – Traded to Miami Dolphins for Robert Quinn
7th Round (17) – 233rd

Unless a real stud DT or S is sitting there for us at 17, think I'd rather move back and get another pick.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've always felt that Charean is a quality journalist. Substance and reporting over controversy and flash.

And she's right on the money once again here. About the Dak contract holdup, about the team needing defense in the draft, and about coaching deficiencies not being an issue any longer.

Thanks for posting that.

Always like her articles and reporting. Pretty spot on and straight forward. No hate or bias nor Mickey sunshine and lollipops either.
Too bad FWST decided to move on from her, it is their loss. Also since she has taken over Goose Gosselin's spot for HOF voting, or added to it. We seem to get more Cowboys going in the HOF than we did with just Goose.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The one thing she did comment on, and thinking about it. The away she addressed it.
How the Dak talks have been going on for a year now. And no progress that we trill know of.

So how do they handle this, especially in the draft if a QB is there. All over a year difference in the contract.
Actually I think Jerry just needs to suck it up, do the 4 year deal. If he proves he is worth another contract, then deal with it then. If not you get out in 4 years not 5.

Otherwise, if a QB drops to us, draft him as insurance for several reasons. It pushes Dak to sign. If he doesn't Sign, then he needs to decide, sign his tag offer, prove it since he is so high on his skills to show he deserves it. If he doesn't sign, you have a QB to work with then can trade Dak even if the following year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The one thing she did comment on, and thinking about it. The away she addressed it.
How the Dak talks have been going on for a year now. And no progress that we trill know of.

So how do they handle this, especially in the draft if a QB is there. All over a year difference in the contract.
Actually I think Jerry just needs to suck it up, do the 4 year deal. If he proves he is worth another contract, then deal with it then. If not you get out in 4 years not 5.

Otherwise, if a QB drops to us, draft him as insurance for several reasons. It pushes Dak to sign. If he doesn't Sign, then he needs to decide, sign his tag offer, prove it since he is so high on his skills to show he deserves it. If he doesn't sign, you have a QB to work with then can trade Dak even if the following year.

I agree. Just do the shorter term deal already. If Dak shows he's worth it and you win that championship, you'll be happy to pay him. If not, you have four years to have someone else to replace him. That's how it works.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy has an extensive network of coaches at the NFL level, something that Garrett sorely lacked.
Very true! The list of things Garrett lacked is long. Even though he has been in the league a long time and is supposedly well respected, you didn't see a lot of big name coaches on his staff like McCarthy has now. I keep thinking of Marinelli and what he did at Detroit as I type that.