Video: Charean Williams Comments on Benefit of Coaching Changes

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very true! The list of things Garrett lacked is long. Even though he has been in the league a long time and is supposedly well respected, you didn't see a lot of big name coaches on his staff like McCarthy has now. I keep thinking of Marinelli and what he did at Detroit as I type that.

No, Garrett's network was quite small. It consisted of talking to Coach K, Nick Saban, and Jimmy Johnson. A basketball coach, a college football coach, and a retired coach. All were successful in their own fields and I'm sure provided valuable advice. But none were available to directly help him at the NFL level on his staff. He went with the few coaches he knew personally from working with at one point - Monte Kiffin (and we know how that went), and then by extension Rod Marinelli.

And that's how we got the great Paul Alexander 'era', because Jason's brother John knew him from Cincinnati. So he chose Alexander over Mike Solari, a much better O-line coach. Forget the fact that Alexander would come in and try to reinvent the wheel with a stacked Pro Bowl line.

McCarthy has an extensive network, and that's been shown already in the assemblage of this staff. That alone gives us a huge advantage over the prior regime.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
She's right in her comments about the defense but there is also an issue on the OL developing that can get much worse depending on how Connor Williams works out this season. I want one quality O lineman drafted in that mix of defense defense defense that she is proposing we draft. MM has to see this too.
Center is my only concern. When healthy, Connor Williams has been our best left guard.

817Gill

Reaction score
Center is my only concern. When healthy, Connor Williams has been our best left guard.
Luckily this draft has a few guys who can start day 1, and due to the relatively low investments put into the position by most teams, there will be some good ones there in rounds 3-5. I think we take one, especially if we make a trade back in round 1.

MaineBoy

Reaction score

Good insight here

You know, this really makes me even more pissed off at Jerry. He wasted a decade with a coach the rest of the world knew was incompetent and over his head. Everyone saw the games he lost due to dumb moves and no adjustments. Yet Jerry stayed with Garrett just because he could. Stubborn, ego driven old man.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I appreciate the idea of having a HC who is willing to be open to constructive criticism.

That's something that JG couldn't bring himself to accept. Always had a ready excuse.

I also admired the fact that McCarthy made sure to use his year off to improve himself.

Last edited: