Chargers Looking To Deal LB & FS

gosuns

Reaction score
Edwards on the block
<Apr. 14> Chargers GM A.J. Smith confirmed to The San Diego Union-Tribune on Thursday that the team is indeed shopping Edwards. The paper speculates that the Chargers are looking to get a first-day draft pick in return for the veteran linebacker.
"If it's not attractive, nothing will be done," Smith said. "If it is, decisions will be made."
Edwards, the Chargers' leading tackler the last four seasons, is in the final year of the $18.75 million contract he signed with San Diego as a free agent in 2002. The 33-year-old has a cap charge of $3.55 million in 2006. The Chargers are also looking to trade safety Hanik Milligan.

***COMMENTARY***
The idea of grabbing Edwards for possibly a 4th round pick is certainly something the Cowboys should look at. I know the article says 1st day pick but I doubt any NFL team will give them a 1st day pick for a aging player with 1 year left on his deal. With his cap figure at $3.55 million this season Dallas can easily afford him and it's also the final year on his contract so if things don't work out we are rid of him after 1 year. If he's great then resign him to a 3 year deal after the season. I think this is a move that could turn out for the Cowboys a lot like the Patriots grabbing Rodney Harrison. Plus he already knows the 3-4 Defense!!!

As for the possibility of looking at Safety Hanik Milligan... I was interested for a second but then I looked up his stats... He's played 3 years now and is 26 years old. He has 29 career tackles, 1 pass defended, and zero interceptions and zero sacks for his career. So my point here... He has done NOTHING in the NFL in three years and the Chargers actually think someone will trade for this guy? No Way

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
If we can't get Manny Lawson... I think they should go right ahead and do it quick.. but if we can.. I say hell with Donnie Edwards

1Ware1

Reaction score
Edwards is a force,It could give our team some additional veteran leadership on the defensive side of the ball.I dont know if he warrants a first day pick though.Maybe we can give them the pick we get for tradeing down.You know the bonus 3rd round pick we receive from tradeing down.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki said:
Too old.

Next.
~scrambling to find hammer~ ;)

I saw this the other day and at first I thought Edwards, hmmm. Then I saw his age and I'm thinking probably not.

As for the safety, I don't think he's even played on the regular D. I think he's a special teamer and for our needs, we need someone who can play on regular D.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think we just paid good money to another FS who cannot cover but is great at special teams. I wouldn't get any bright ideas about Milligan either.