Chargers may let QB Drew Brees test free agency

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Chargers may let QB Drew Brees test free agency.

Mortensen says the Bolts could let him become an unrestricted free agent on March 3, gambling that his shoulder surgery would turn teams off. An initial contract offer to Brees for a long-term deal was made last week. This could mean the money put on the table was too low. If San Diego franchise-tagged Brees, they'd have to pay him approximately $9.7 million.

Feb. 13 - 10:46 am et

50cent

Reaction score
The best part about that is the fact the the trade for Abraham and Rivers would be null and void. No Brees in SD means no trade for Rivers.

Murph80

Reaction score
Bledsoe is better but older. Brees has some good years ahead of him. I'll take Bledsoe for next year.

jcollins28

Reaction score
I will not be surprised at all if S.D screws this up and Brees walks. After all they are the Chargers. If Brees is out there Boys have to bring him in!

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
How has Brees' rehab gone? If the Chargers do indeed let him test the free agent market it will be because of the fact that the rehab isn't going all that well.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
dang, i'd get Drew Brees in a heartbeat...Let Bledsoe be backup haha

Woods

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
How has Brees' rehab gone? If the Chargers do indeed let him test the free agent market it will be because of the fact that the rehab isn't going all that well.

Ditto.

That's what I was thinking. Usually you don't let a "franchise" QB test the open market . . . .

burmafrd

Reaction score
Rivers has shown nothing. Might as well draft a rookie this year as take him. Brees has done well for them for 2 years; Mortenson could very well be talking out his ***.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Stick with Drew Bledsoe and draft the QB of the future.......Henson is not done yet--is he?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Woods said:
Ditto.

That's what I was thinking. Usually you don't let a "franchise" QB test the open market . . . .
I third that.....If his shoulder his fine and he doesn't want big money fine but otherwise stick with what we have.