Chargers release statement on Gates: Will NOT play against Dallas

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
The following statement was released by the team with regard to TE Antonio Gates:

Tight end Antonio Gates did not report and sign a contract by 12:30 p.m. today. The Chargers and Gates' agent Andre Colona negotiated throughout the morning but could not reach an agreement on years or compensation. At this point, Gates does not feel comfortable in signing the team's tender offer and going back to work.

As a result, Gates will be placed on a Roster Exempt list and will not play in the first three games following the date he signs with the team. Currently he will miss the games versus Minnesota (Aug. 26), San Francisco (Sept. 1) and the season opener versus Dallas (Sept. 11).

The Chargers are disappointed Gates will miss the season opener versus Dallas, but remain hopeful of reaching an agreement soon.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4634922

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. We don't stand a chance in that game anyway... because Merriman is mad at us and he'll make us pay.:rolleyes:

VirusX

Reaction score
Just give the kid his contract he earned it last season.

Champsheart

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
The following statement was released by the team with regard to TE Antonio Gates:

Tight end Antonio Gates did not report and sign a contract by 12:30 p.m. today. The Chargers and Gates' agent Andre Colona negotiated throughout the morning but could not reach an agreement on years or compensation. At this point, Gates does not feel comfortable in signing the team's tender offer and going back to work.

As a result, Gates will be placed on a Roster Exempt list and will not play in the first three games following the date he signs with the team. Currently he will miss the games versus Minnesota (Aug. 26), San Francisco (Sept. 1) and the season opener versus Dallas (Sept. 11).

The Chargers are disappointed Gates will miss the season opener versus Dallas, but remain hopeful of reaching an agreement soon.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4634922

Works for me. One less nightmare to worry about, and should help Roy destroy the Running Game.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
There is still a chance he could play though it looks to be a slim one:

But Colona told John Seibel and Steve Bunin on their GameNight on ESPN Radio show Gates will report Sunday. Colona added his interpretation of the rules is that commissioner Paul Tagliabue can remove the exemption if requested by the Chargers, permitting Gates to play in the season opener.

While that could be true, Chargers general manager A.J. Smith called moving Gates to the roster exempt list "irrevocable" in the team's mind.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2139184

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
There is still a chance he could play though it looks to be a slim one:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2139184
Yup.
Talk was he was coming into camp today and if he does so I fully expect the Chargers to request he be allowed to play.

I'll believe he is out if he isn't in camp by mid-week, but he says himself he intends to be there today.

AJ Smith has been dificult to deal with but my guess is he backs off the nonsensical suspension. The Chargers do more to alienate players than any team in the league.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
According to the most recent report on ESPN.com, it sounds as if the Chargers' hands are tied in this matter. Once they placed Gates on the roster-exempt list, the suspension went into effect.

Smith seemed to indicate that if they could reverse it, they would in a heartbeat, but he doesn't believe that they can.

I would be shocked if he was able to play against us based on the facts as being reported. This is a big break for us.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Right now, I'll take any good news I can get. With Cundiff, Fergy, Rogers, Rivera and Spears all hurt, I'll take any break we can get.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Gates will play.........this is Tagliabue we're talking about.

Seriously, I don't think for ONE minute that the league office will allow a "Rising-Star" player to sit out over a contract dispute.

I almost see a bit of shrewdness on the part of the Chargers FO. I think they knew they could strong-arm Gates into camp by this tactic. I also think that they KNOW the league will never let a player of Gate's caliber NOT be on the field opening day (at home, no less).

It's really a no-lose situation for the Chargers. The Chargers will not have to give in to Gates' demands, and they will still get their player back for opening day.

If by the off-chance that Gates isn't allowed back by the NFL, then I think the Chargers can "blame" the NFL FO for not allowing Gates back. They can still "save face" with their fans.

I dont' know.........I may be reading this totally wrong. But I still say that there's no way Gates is allowed by the NFL to miss opening day.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Bizwah said:

Seriously, I don't think for ONE minute that the league office will allow a "Rising-Star" player to sit out over a contract dispute.

I almost see a bit of shrewdness on the part of the Chargers FO. I think they knew they could strong-arm Gates into camp by this tactic. I also think that they KNOW the league will never let a player of Gate's caliber NOT be on the field opening day (at home, no less).

It's really a no-lose situation for the Chargers. The Chargers will not have to give in to Gates' demands, and they will still get their player back for opening day.

If by the off-chance that Gates isn't allowed back by the NFL, then I think the Chargers can "blame" the NFL FO for not allowing Gates back. They can still "save face" with their fans.

I dont' know.........I may be reading this totally wrong. But I still say that there's no way Gates is allowed by the NFL to miss opening day.

Just like raining on my parade, don't you? :mad:

What's up with making all that sense????

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
People, he'll be going up against the Cowboys in week 1... it'll get reversed. Have you all already forgotten the Onterrio Smith incident last year?

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
well i'm kinda torn here since both LT and Gates are on my fantasy team.

i'd rather we kick their butts in week 1 but they make up for it the rest of the season.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Bizwah said:

Biz thisi sthe Chargers we are talking about not the Dolphins. They care more about making statements in contract negotiations than they do about winning games.

They did not have to put him on the exemption. They did it to attempt to play hardball just as they have done to Merriman and Rivers. Considering the likelyhood of them taking similar stances in future negotiations they more than likely are going to follow through with this or lose face for future negotiations.

It also doesnt help that the management there has made comments in the vein of 'we are the football team we decide how much money and how many years they get' and 'in the teams mind this exemption is irrevocable.'

If I am Gates I tell the Chargers to go stick it up their you know what and sit out for awhile demanding a trade or something. He is not under contract and I cannot blame him for refusing to play for 380k.

I just realized I hate the Chargers they are not very cool people. Jerry would never let something like this happen. At least he cares about his players as human beings.

Bizwah

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
Biz thisi sthe Chargers we are talking about not the Dolphins. They care more about making statements in contract negotiations than they do about winning games.

They did not have to put him on the exemption. They did it to attempt to play hardball just as they have done to Merriman and Rivers. Considering the likelyhood of them taking similar stances in future negotiations they more than likely are going to follow through with this or lose face for future negotiations.

It also doesnt help that the management there has made comments in the vein of 'we are the football team we decide how much money and how many years they get' and 'in the teams mind this exemption is irrevocable.'

If I am Gates I tell the Chargers to go stick it up their you know what and sit out for awhile demanding a trade or something. He is not under contract and I cannot blame him for refusing to play for 380k.

I just realized I hate the Chargers they are not very cool people. Jerry would never let something like this happen. At least he cares about his players as human beings.

Oh, I'm not praising the Chargers at all here.

All I'm saying is that it seems like a shrewd business practice here. I think the Chargers have this thing planned out......I think they KNOW that Tags won't allow their star player out, and they can get away with doing this to one of their best players.

Again, I'm not praising them here.........just making an observation.

And let me ask this question....I think it's relevant.

Chris Canty was a fourth-round pick this year. He's getting paid like a fourth-round pick. Let's say he's DROY, and just has a monster season. Don't you think he'll want a pay raise? Should we give it to him? Should we rip up the deal he signed, and make a new one? What if he holds out?

Interesting situations here. I know JJ won't use this type of tactic, but I can see him playing hardball.....after all, he did it with Emmitt. Even Novacek missed a big portion of Training Camp one year.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
The Chargers have confirmed that Antonio Gates will sign his one-year tender Sunday, but still plan to suspend him for the season opener.
The Chargers will place Gates on the ''roster exempt'' list, meaning he'll miss the rest of the preseason and week one. The team doesn't plan to request an exemption to allow Gates to play. Aug. 21 - 6:46 pm et