Chargers send CB Davis to 49ers for WR Woods

RESIN8

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Tim Rattay. Ken Dorsey. Alex Smith.

Don't forget about Cody"Rodeo)Pickett.

I guess we can pretty much pencil in Vernon Davis as a Niner. Most of my friends thought i was crazy when I said the NIners would get a TE. Only thing is this guy isn't just another TE. They were content with Eric Johnson. Than I showed them some of the highlight reels of Vernon. Than they saw the combine workouts that Vernon owned. It's safe to say these guys are big Vernon Davis fans now.

jrumann59

Reaction score
2much2soon said:
I bet AB doesn't think they do

By week 8 he will wish they did, when he complains about the triple coverage teams roll his direction just to psyche him out of the game.

Pokes28

Reaction score
Actually, Woods has been hurt his entire time in San Fran. He pulled a hamstring the first mini-camp. Then tore the same hamstring soon after. Then he hurt an ankle. He saw action in a couple games as a rookie. But then last year, he tore up one of his thumbs and was put on IR early in the season.

Yes he's a bust at this point, but it is due to health. The funny thing is that he was pretty much always healthy at OSU.

Also for the comment on this being a case of a 40 time actually mattering. He ran a 4.47 at his combine. That's far from slow. He was hand clocked at 4.4 in personal workouts.

The thing about Woods is that he's a LOT like Keyshawn. He's open when he's not open. There aren't many corners that can outfight him for a ball. I for one think that Woods will still develop into a very nice pro. Remember that Jimmy Smith was a bust after his first two seasons in the NFL.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

2much2soon

Reaction score
I never saw much of Woods in college but at the combine the way he caught the ball made think of Chris Carter. Big, powerful hands that just swallowed up the ball.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Pokes28 said:
Actually, Woods has been hurt his entire time in San Fran. He pulled a hamstring the first mini-camp. Then tore the same hamstring soon after. Then he hurt an ankle. He saw action in a couple games as a rookie. But then last year, he tore up one of his thumbs and was put on IR early in the season.

Yes he's a bust at this point, but it is due to health. The funny thing is that he was pretty much always healthy at OSU.

Also for the comment on this being a case of a 40 time actually mattering. He ran a 4.47 at his combine. That's far from slow. He was hand clocked at 4.4 in personal workouts.

The thing about Woods is that he's a LOT like Keyshawn. He's open when he's not open. There aren't many corners that can outfight him for a ball. I for one think that Woods will still develop into a very nice pro. Remember that Jimmy Smith was a bust after his first two seasons in the NFL.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Didn't realize he ran those times. The knock on him (or the reports that I've read) was that he didn't posses deep, pure speed. How many career TDs did he have at OSU? 45+? Pretty impressive. I agree w/ you in that although he can technically be considered a bust, it's not hopelessly so that he can't turn things around.

Hailmary

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Tim Rattay. Ken Dorsey. Alex Smith.

I can't believe how so many are considering Alex Smith a bust after one season w/ the 9ers.

1. He was a rookie last season.
2. He was brought into a BAD (if not hopeless) situation (which is usually the case w/ teams drafting in the top 10).
3. He's 6'4" 210+ lbs., has a cannon for an arm, has above average running abilities, and is intelligent. Sound like a prototypical prospect to me...

Sad thing is, the 9ers didn't do much to help him out this offseason, and until they surround him w/ more talent, it won't matter if he's Johnny Unitas reincarnate.

calico

Reaction score
I am in the "upset about Woods" camp, I really thought he would have a solid NFL career. What a great college player he was.

I don't know a thing about the Winers, but I would imagine their crappy state has alot to do with it...maybe.

Pokes28

Reaction score
Hailmary said:
Didn't realize he ran those times. The knock on him (or the reports that I've read) was that he didn't posses deep, pure speed. How many career TDs did he have at OSU? 45+? Pretty impressive. I agree w/ you in that although he can technically be considered a bust, it's not hopelessly so that he can't turn things around.

Career OSU stats:

Established NCAA record after catching seven touchdown passes vs. Southern Methodist in 2003…Caught 293 passes for 4,414 yards (15.1 avg.) and 42 touchdowns, topping previous Big 12 records of 205 catches for 2,704 yards by Justin Gage of Missouri (1999-02) and 22 scores by Quincy Morgan of Kansas State (1999-00)…Became eighth player in NCAA Division I-A history to gain over 1,000 yards receiving in season three times in career…Only Troy Edwards of Louisiana Tech (50, 1996-98) and Aaron Turner of Pacific (43, 1989-92) had more touchdown catches in NCAA history…Ranks fourth all-time in Division 1-A history in career receptions...Ranks third all-time in receiving yards in NCAA history.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Pokes28

Reaction score
Hailmary said:
I can't believe how so many are considering Alex Smith a bust after one season w/ the 9ers.

3. He's 6'4" 210+ lbs., has a cannon for an arm, has above average running abilities, and is intelligent. Sound like a prototypical prospect to me...

He doesn't have a cannon for an arm. He has a very good arm, but he's not got elite arm strength. One of the biggest problems was that he had to adjust to not running a gimmick offense that he was used to under Urban Meyer.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh