Chargers

RonWashington

Reaction score
They also grabbed Isiah Spiller to compliment Austin Ekeler giving the Bolts more weapons in the ground game . I like the Cowboys draft , wanted a RB somewhere in mid to late round land but I get it the needs right now were both lines and receiver and TE …

2023 somewhere along the way unless you franchise tag Pollard which is way too expensive you have Zeke with lots of miles on the road ….this year a Clement type is serviceable next draft think quality back .

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Back to back drafts they take Rashawn Slater number one now Zion Johnson . Building that firewall around Herbert . Good thinking get a dominating OLine to motor that offense.
It is amazing how a franchise quarterback and left tackle just fell to the Chargers in the draft. I am not going to give them credit for that. Zion is not a lock to be anything but average. Most had him as a second round grade. They could have used a linebacker or cornerback.

RonWashington

Reaction score
It is amazing how a franchise quarterback and left tackle just fell to the Chargers in the draft. I am not going to give them credit for that. Zion is not a lock to be anything but average. Most had him as a second round grade. They could have used a linebacker or cornerback.

I think at 24 the Pokes would have thought long and hard about Johnson over Smith had he been available .

baltcowboy

Reaction score
They also grabbed Isiah Spiller to compliment Austin Ekeler giving the Bolts more weapons in the ground game . I like the Cowboys draft , wanted a RB somewhere in mid to late round land but I get it the needs right now were both lines and receiver and TE …

2023 somewhere along the way unless you franchise tag Pollard which is way too expensive you have Zeke with lots of miles on the road ….this year a Clement type is serviceable next draft think quality back .
The Cowboys like Dowdle better then most fans. Keep in eye on him this season. Pollard and Zeke will probably be gone after next season.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think at 24 the Pokes would have thought long and hard about Johnson over Smith had he been available .
I thought the same until I realized why they drafted Smith. The Boys wanted a bully on the interior and Johnson is not that type of guard. Belt said that the Cowboys thought Johnson was the best center in the draft. That is very telling.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I thought the same until I realized why they drafted Smith. The Boys wanted a bully on the interior and Johnson is not that type of guard. Belt said that the Cowboys thought Johnson was the best center in the draft. That is very telling.

The Cowboys drafted Smith because Johnson and Green were both long gone already. Why are you making it seem like it was even an option, lol?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys drafted Smith because Johnson and Green were both long gone already. Why are you making it seem like it was even an option, lol?
It’s easy to say that because they were gone. I just don’t look at it like the Horne/Surtain situation. I think the player the Cowboys wanted was Penning. He fit the profile of a big tough bully better than Smith.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s easy to say that because they were gone. I just don’t look at it like the Horne/Surtain situation. I think the player the Cowboys wanted was Penning. He fit the profile of a big tough bully better than Smith.
But wouldn't you agree that Smith was behind all 3 of those OL. Of the 4, Smith is the rawest and most needed to start on day 1 and a penalty machine. Upside, he makes sense but aren't the Cowboys more instant about their first pick?

They are betting their coaches can bring Smith along when they have yet to prove they could do that with Williams or McGovern.

Yosemite and martin were proven and much further along than Smith is. DC's are going to microscope him just as they did Williams and put him in his worst situations to get him to hold. He proved at Tulas he could not stop making penalties in big games and became the flag magnet.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
But wouldn't you agree that Smith was behind all 3 of those OL. Of the 4, Smith is the rawest and most needed to start on day 1 and a penalty machine. Upside, he makes sense but aren't the Cowboys more instant about their first pick?

They are betting their coaches can bring Smith along when they have yet to prove they could do that with Williams or McGovern.

Yosemite and martin were proven and much further along than Smith is. DC's are going to microscope him just as they did Williams and put him in his worst situations to get him to hold. He proved at Tulas he could not stop making penalties in big games and became the flag magnet.
I think Green/Zion are better overall guards. The Cowboys don’t want good guards, they wanted a big nasty son of a $&@. Penning/Smith fit that profile.

RonWashington

Reaction score
With Penning Johnson and Green ( my choice ) all gone the option was Smith or trade down . They made the best of the situation . Personally I hope Smith anchors the guard spot opposite Martin for the next few years and Dallas has other options for 77 missing games.

chicago JK

Reaction score
Chargers are in a tough division, but that team is ready to win now. Young, elite qb on a rookie deal and a lot of talent. That team should have been a playoff team last year. Big year for them this upcoming season.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The Cowboys like Dowdle better then most fans. Keep in eye on him this season. Pollard and Zeke will probably be gone after next season.

Dowdle should no way preclude Dallas from taking a back with a pick next year , and not a 5th or 6th either . Higher in the draft .

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Dowdle should no way preclude Dallas from taking a back with a pick next year , and not a 5th or 6th either . Higher in the draft .
I am talking about this season. Next season there is a chance the Cowboys draft a running back as early as the first round. The board will hate it.:omg::laugh:

RonWashington

Reaction score
I am talking about this season. Next season there is a chance the Cowboys draft a running back as early as the first round. The board will hate it.:omg::laugh:

Was something wrong with Clement ? Dude played in a SB knows his way around and yet the man was in witness protection most of 2021 .

RonWashington

Reaction score
But it’s irrelevant because our OC will use Zeke dragging one leg and an iron ball around his ankle while Pollard signs autographs and checks out the new crop of cheerleaders on the sidelines let alone Moore utilize a 3rd back . Yes next season might be several openings in the RB meeting room