Charles Brown-LT-USC

tko112204

Reaction score
First ever thread starter, so here we go...

I haven't heard much talk about Brown around here, or anywhere else really, so I thought I would ask you guys what you thought. Daniel Jeremiah (MovetheSticks.com) is a former scout for the Browns and Ravens and has some pretty good stuff on his website. He said that he's hearing this guy will be going much higher than many mocks predict.

After a little research I found out he's a converted TE with elite athleticism but slightly below average strength. Most reports say he has the frame to add quality bulk. Seems to me like we could grab this guy at 27 if Iupati, Bulaga, etc. are all gone. If Flo can give us one more year and Brown were to take advantage of an NFL conditioning program, it would be a perfect scenario. Doesn't seem to have the high bust potential of Bruce Campbell, who makes me nervous.

Said to deserve a mid-1st grade. What does everyone else think?

ghst187

Reaction score
tko112204;3283017 said:
First ever thread starter, so here we go...

I haven't heard much talk about Brown around here, or anywhere else really, so I thought I would ask you guys what you thought. Daniel Jeremiah (MovetheSticks.com) is a former scout for the Browns and Ravens and has some pretty good stuff on his website. He said that he's hearing this guy will be going much higher than many mocks predict.

After a little research I found out he's a converted TE with elite athleticism but slightly below average strength. Most reports say he has the frame to add quality bulk. Seems to me like we could grab this guy at 27 if Iupati, Bulaga, etc. are all gone. If Flo can give us one more year and Brown were to take advantage of an NFL conditioning program, it would be a perfect scenario. Doesn't seem to have the high bust potential of Bruce Campbell, who makes me nervous.

Said to deserve a mid-1st grade. What does everyone else think?

i could see him in Indy or a zone blocking scheme at T but can't ever see him playing T for the Dallas Cowboys. He'll have trouble weighing in a 300 at the combine. We prefer monsterous OL. I think Brown will end up at RT and I suspect he won't even be on our radar in any round.

Woods

Reaction score
ghst187;3283105 said:
i could see him in Indy or a zone blocking scheme at T but can't ever see him playing T for the Dallas Cowboys. He'll have trouble weighing in a 300 at the combine. We prefer monsterous OL. I think Brown will end up at RT and I suspect he won't even be on our radar in any round.

I tend to agree with you.

The Cowboys prefer big OL. That said, if Brown does surprise at the Combine and weigh over 300+, that could interest the staff.

newlander

Reaction score
it's true...JJ, Houck, Garrett all like maulers. Nice thought though.....

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I always went with the Charles Brown isn't our type of left tackle mentality too but maybe an athletic left tackle like Brown is what we need to deal with quicker, athletic pass rushers.

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3283457 said:
I always went with the Charles Brown isn't our type of left tackle mentality too but maybe an athletic left tackle like Brown is what we need to deal with quicker, athletic pass rushers.

thats a good point, maybe it is time to rethink our strategy a bit for the future.

Eskimo

Reaction score
We kind of switched to larger OL in the late-80s from our traditional smaller OLs that we used to use earlier. However, given how much it looks like Garrett wants to run screens and how good guys like Miles, KO and Felix run screens, I think we need to start putting a higher premium on OL that have the athletic ability to play in space.

Please find another Doug Free type to play RT (or LT if you can find a better "Free" than the one we already have).

One of the shames about the season is how whipped Kosier looked when matched against monster DTs. He hadn't previously been that much of a liability although he wasn't about to drive these types off the line either. The reason I say it is a shame is because he is so good pulling and making blocks on the move on the second level. It wouldn't surprise me if Kosier lasts another year because we don't have much behind him, but I think the end is coming up soon for him, too (along with Colombo and Flo).