Charleton Keith - Under the Radar.

MiStar

Reaction score
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40395

I have decided to write this article because of one player; Charleton Keith. I feel that this kid is getting no attention what so ever, yet he should deserve to be getting some. so, now, here go's my persuasive article for wanting Charlton Keith on YOUR TEAM come April.

People are currently talking about players like Manny Lawson (rated 3 DE by Phil Steele), Frostee Rucker (rated 20 DE by Phil Steele), and even Gaines Adams of Clemson (rated 23 DE by Phil Steele) as the next great tweeners of the NFL, the next Willie McGinest or Joey Porter, both defensive ends in college. However, one guy seems to continue to be under the radar, to the point where on over 56% of other 7 round full mock drafts I have read, on here and on other websites, he has not been selected. And of the 44% that has selected him, 23% have him in the 6-7th round. The highest I've seen him in in the 3rd round, and yet, I'm still wondering, why is this guy not getting some love?

That guy is Charlton Keith, DE/OLB on the Kansas Jayhawks, and it is time he got some due respect.

Why does no one like, or respect this guy? He has been able to come up big in every single facet of his career. As a high schooler in Akron, Ohio, he actually played both sides of the ball, throwing AND rushing for over 1,000 yards as a QB, and acumulating a monstrous 54 tackles and 23 sacks as a DE, in a very tough area to play college football in. He was Ohio's Offensive AND Defensive Player of the Year, a feat I do not believe has been repeated in Ohio since him.

Then, he went to the University of Minnesota. He spent 2 seasons there, and led the team in sacks as a Redshirt Freshman with 7. Then, the Golden Gophers got a new football coach, and he and Keith had a falling out.

Keith then transferred to a community college, Minnesota West CC, not for academics, but because that was where he wanted to be. After a solid year, he transferred to Kansas.

As a Junior, he played in all 11 games, but unfortunately, elite pass rusher David McMillan (who is now an OLB on the Browns) was in front of him on the depth chart. However, Keith made the most of what he was given, making 21 tackles, 7 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, and 8 quarterback hurries. He also played his best against the best teams, making 5 tackles in games against Iowa State and Texas, the Big 12 North frontrunner and the 2nd beast team in the Big 12 South. However, it was not until his Sr. year where he was truly able to unsurface his potential.

As a Sr., for the first time, Keith was able to start at Kansas. And he made the most of his opportunity. He played in all 12 games, racked up 46.5 tackles, sacked the QB 8.5 times for 60 lost yards, made a massive 20 tackles for loss for 100 yards, leading the NCAA in both categories, heck he even made an INT and recovered a fumble. In the Fort Worth Bowl, he made an INT, and had 2 sacks, to go along with 5 tackles, helping Kansas schieve their first bowl win since 1995. That's called playing well under pressure.

So, why is this guy getting almost no fanfare, DAP, or anything of the kind? It can't be because of stats, since he played in one of the strongest conferences in the country, The Big 12, and put up impressive numbers. It can't be because of athletecism, since he played both ways in high school, and has been timed at running a 4.47 40. It can't be character issues, as he has not been apprehended for any crimes or transgressions. It also can't be because of pedigree, since he is the cousin of Eric Snow, the point guard on the Cleveland Cavaliers.

There is no reason. This guy is the real deal. He has the game, the character, and the attitude. I despise the so called draft experts who always look for diamonds in the rough at all of the small, D-IAA schools. Hey Kiper, if you really want to find and underrated, future NFL star, why not look in D-IA? In the Big 12? Because it is time Charlton Keith finally got his due.

*I haven't seen him play, but this description certainly has me interested in Keith as a mid to late round prospect. Is there anyone who has seen him play who could give us some insight?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Charlton Keith
School Kansas
Class 2006
Height 605.0
Weight 225 Too skinny. He would have to gain alot, and I mean a lot of weight.