Charlie Whitehurst

Chuck 54

Reaction score
My stepson attends Clemson, so I've seen many of Clemson's games over the past 3 years.

Whitehurst looked like a big time player as a sophomore QB...he has a great deal of starting experience, both with poor offensive players and with good ones. Last year as a junior he was running for his life and sometimes making poor decisions because they had nothing and were running an awful offense under Bowden.

This year as a senior, Whitehurst was thrust into a new offense and he had a very successful season. The kid can read a defense...he can find the open receiver...he does have an above average arm to make the important sideline throws...he can really take off and run...he is no Vick, but he's very mobile.

His career reminds me a great deal of Carson Palmer's career at USC. Changing offenses, but a very good senior campaign and lots of starting experience. Listen carefully...I did not say he was going to be a Carson Palmer...USC is my favorite college team. Whitehurst is no Palmer, but I see similarities in their careers, and Whitehurst will be an absolute steal if he lasts till round 2.

However, we're not going to take a QB...but keep an eye on this kid. HE has a chance to have a better NFL career than Cutler, imo, and I like both.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I've been saying Whitehurst on here for awhile now

he had a very good Senior Bowl week, him and Cutler seemed to be neck-and-neck, kid is a stud

fortdick

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Last year as a junior he was running for his life and sometimes making poor decisions because they had nothing and were running an awful offense under Bowden.

Sounds like a perfect fit for our offense!

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Whitehurst has 2 inches height on Cutler and looked to have a stronger arm. I've been touting Whitehurst for awhile now. He got screwed over because of a lousy junior year where he was saddled with an awful O-Line, awful receivers, and awful coaching. They changed the system to allow for shorter passes. It helped improve Whitehurst's stats and probably boosted his confidence, but it helped fit the Clemson team more and probably took away from what Whitehurst can really do.

If Dallas wound up taking him in Day 2, I'd be very happy. I'd be *content* if they took him in the third round. My guess is that they won't get him, although his father played in the NFL and that's the type of player Parcells likes.

Rich........

Little Jr

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Whitehurst has 2 inches height on Cutler and looked to have a stronger arm. I've been touting Whitehurst for awhile now. He got screwed over because of a lousy junior year where he was saddled with an awful O-Line, awful receivers, and awful coaching. They changed the system to allow for shorter passes. It helped improve Whitehurst's stats and probably boosted his confidence, but it helped fit the Clemson team more and probably took away from what Whitehurst can really do.

If Dallas wound up taking him in Day 2, I'd be very happy. I'd be *content* if they took him in the third round. My guess is that they won't get him, although his father played in the NFL and that's the type of player Parcells likes.

Rich........

Havent seem much on the draft this year and the players except for the name ones but will Whitehurst make it to the 2nd day?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I'm so old I can remember his father playing for the Packers when I lived in Wisconsin.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Little Jr said:
Havent seem much on the draft this year and the players except for the name ones but will Whitehurst make it to the 2nd day?
No way...no how...he's in the top 5 QBs. I think #3 or #4. He'll likely be gone in round 2, certainly round 3. The kid is certainly a better prospect, imo, than Chris Simms.

Jay

Reaction score
College has a different rating than NFL. Don't forget that.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Jay said:
College has a different rating than NFL. Don't forget that.
Good point, so this is interesting:

Brady Quinn = 93, 125, 158

Vince Young = 130, 128, 163

Matt Leinart = 164, 156, 157

Charlie Whitehurst = 128, 135, 97, 133

I still think Leinart is the safest of all the QBs...Young or Quinn #2...but Whitehurst certainly belongs in the conversation and will be a good selection for someone in round 2....an absolute steal in round 3.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
No way...no how...he's in the top 5 QBs. I think #3 or #4. He'll likely be gone in round 2, certainly round 3. The kid is certainly a better prospect, imo, than Chris Simms.

I agree although Kiper and Co. keep saying that he's a 3rd rounder at best and likely a 4th or 5th rounder. That being said, Kiper has always been a weak draft expert.

Gosselin has good sources when it comes to the draft, so he's a better guy to look at as to where Whitehurst will be going.

Rich..........

kartr

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Good point, so this is interesting:

Brady Quinn = 93, 125, 158

Vince Young = 130, 128, 163

Matt Leinart = 164, 156, 157

Charlie Whitehurst = 128, 135, 97, 133

I still think Leinart is the safest of all the QBs...Young or Quinn #2...but Whitehurst certainly belongs in the conversation and will be a good selection for someone in round 2....an absolute steal in round 3.

I would throw Omar Jacobs into that mix. He's more polished than Young, more mobile than Leinart and been more consistent than Quinn and Whitehurst. He seems to have fewer negatives than all of the above mentioned qb's.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Personally, I only seen few games of Brodie Coyle, but thats the guy that impresses me most. He had to deal with pretty much no Offensive weapons, but still managed to play well enough to win games. Probably will be somewhat of Bus Driver type of QB, nothing spectacular, but maybe someone who makes enough plays to win. Ala say Matt Hassleback.

Charlie seemed to me, from brief games I have seen him, too erratic at times. But then it could be that, the games I saw he was not so good.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
kartr said:
I would throw Omar Jacobs into that mix. He's more polished than Young, more mobile than Leinart and been more consistent than Quinn and Whitehurst. He seems to have fewer negatives than all of the above mentioned qb's.

Except Jacobs appears to be a system QB in a goofy system that didn't work very well in college, he has awful mechanics and his arm isn't nearly as good as advertised.

Rich........

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd take Whitehurst in a heartbeat.

In this thread, others have mentioned his mobility. I concur that his mobility is really underrated. He has a big arm, good size...I wonder if he'll be able to put it all together though.

If he's sitting there in the 2nd or 3rd round, I'd take him.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Aikmaniac said:
If he's sitting there in the 2nd or 3rd round, I'd take him.

I would not touch him until the 4th round.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Alexander said:
I would not touch him until the 4th round.

I seriously doubt he'll last that long.

I've had the chance to watch him on a regular basis vs FSU and the rest of the ACC. When he gets protection and his WR's don't drop the passes, he's very good.

In my opinion, he played very well with a below average running game and bad OL play.