Charlie Whitehurst

Reaction score
I've been paying close attention to our interest in him He has reportedly the strongest arm of all the qb's and he's a 4 year starter . And from what I've gathered we are really wanting this young man (3rd). Do you think Romo maybe shipped to New Orleans I hear Payton is in the market for a backup

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
WilmingtonHeel said:
I've been paying close attention to our interest in him He has reportedly the strongest arm of all the qb's and he's a 4 year starter . And from what I've gathered we are really wanting this young man (3rd). Do you think Romo maybe shipped to New Orleans I hear Payton is in the market for a backup

ewwww, Charlie Whitehurst, i dont like him. Kellen Clemens for the win, later round steal :D!

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
ewwww, Charlie Whitehurst, i dont like him. Kellen Clemens for the win, later round steal :D!
From what I've been hearing Clemens likely won't make it out of the 3rd round.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
I watched the college all-star competition on ESPN yesterday. Whitehurst was just as fast and agile as Vince Young in a QB obstacle course contest...VY won because he threw the ball into a net and Charlie missed. But still, to be that close to Vince 'Jesus' Young is pretty good.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'm not much of a college football fan. Most of my college football viewing consists of looking at top draft prospects since I'm a draftnick. That and hoping UGA loses so I can point and laugh at their redneck fans. ;)

Anyway, I've seen Whitehurst play for the past 4 years and he's really impressed me more than just about any QB out there. He's got a cannon for an arm, excellent mechanics, and is a pretty good athlete. The problem is that he played his first three years in an awful system with an awful coaching staff along with awful receivers and O-Linemen. He was still extremely productive his first two years, but in his junior year it caught up with him.

They finally changed their O-Coordinators and designed a scheme that would help their O-Linemen and WR's more than fit Whitehurst's abilities. It did well for everybody involved, but I don't think Clemson ever came close to really tapping into his talent.

Footballoutsiders.com did a study of first day QB's selected and found a very strong correlation of success for QB's that had a lot of starts in college and had a high completion % in college. Whitehurst has both of those, even with the lousy junior season.

I really think he's got a good chance of succeeding more than any QB in this draft because he has the talent, but will probably be a 3rd round pick that goes to play for a decent team that allows him to sit out a year and learn.

For Dallas to take him, they'd have to give up on one of the QB's. I don't think they'll give up on Henson since he's played well in NFLE. But, I'm not so sure how confident they can be in having him as the #2 guy, especially since NFLE makes for a long year of football.

If they can trade Romo for a 3rd or 4th rounder and snag Whitehurst in the 3rd round, I'd take that deal.

Rich...........

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I would be very happy with us getting Whitehurst. I think he gos in the 3rd or 4th round, but who knows. If I had my wish, I'd like to see Romo traded to NO for a 4th round pick which is then used on Whitehurst. And Henson is then our #2.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rich, as I've explained in another Whitehurst thread, I've gotten to watch many Clemson games since I'm in ACC (FSU) territory.

I've also been very impressed with Whitehurst. He has good, fluid movement and mechanics...and he also has very good mobility.

What are these draft scouting reports watching to make them think he's not mobile?

BigWillie

Reaction score
Tass said:
I watched the college all-star competition on ESPN yesterday. Whitehurst was just as fast and agile as Vince Young in a QB obstacle course contest...VY won because he threw the ball into a net and Charlie missed. But still, to be that close to Vince 'Jesus' Young is pretty good.

The think about that competition is that Whitehurst wasn't even healthy. Just a month before he had shoulder surgery.

That is what impressed me most in the longest throw competion. He could've easily embarassed himself, but he threw the ball just as far as anyone else out there.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Anyway, I've seen Whitehurst play for the past 4 years and he's really impressed me more than just about any QB out there. He's got a cannon for an arm, excellent mechanics, and is a pretty good athlete. The problem is that he played his first three years in an awful system with an awful coaching staff along with awful receivers and O-Linemen. He was still extremely productive his first two years, but in his junior year it caught up with him.

They finally changed their O-Coordinators and designed a scheme that would help their O-Linemen and WR's more than fit Whitehurst's abilities. It did well for everybody involved, but I don't think Clemson ever came close to really tapping into his talent.

Footballoutsiders.com did a study of first day QB's selected and found a very strong correlation of success for QB's that had a lot of starts in college and had a high completion % in college. Whitehurst has both of those, even with the lousy junior season.

I really think he's got a good chance of succeeding more than any QB in this draft because he has the talent, but will probably be a 3rd round pick that goes to play for a decent team that allows him to sit out a year and learn.

QUOTE]

I agree with Rich...after watching video clips of him and remembering what I saw in some of his games, Whitehurst has the best throwing mechanics and arm strength of anyone in the draft, and he throws with alot of accuracy...and despite playing in alot of shotgun, his footwork looks solid too...I really think if he gets with the right offensive coordinator and QB coach he will be a good starter

there is no way he gets out of the 2nd rd IMO...just too many teams that want QB's

David

Reaction score
I haven't had much of a chance to watch Whitehurst play, and highlight videos only show their best. However, just watching his video highlights that Cowboy_love_4ever put up, I felt he was the most complete QB of all of the ones I've seen so far.

When people talk about arm strength, you automatically think of the ability to throw the ball 70 yards down the field. However, arm strength allows a QB to be able to do so much more than just throw the bomb. As Whitehurst's video clearly shows, he is able to throw a accurate spiral while moving to his right, and still throwing across his body & hitting his man in stride. It also allows for the deep out throw without worrying about getting picked every other toss. Another thing that arm strength does is move the LBs & Safeties back just enough to throw the underneath stuff-which Charlie did very well.

I didn't get to see the college all-star competition, but if CW was able to go mano-o-mano against Vince Young in the obstacle course, that is very encouraging! With his arm, and the ability to manouver like VY, you gotta like his chances in the pros.

All in all, I would be very encouraged to see Charlie Whitehurst in a Dallas Cowboys uniform next season. As far as whether the odd man out is Romo or Henson, let the chips fall where they may. Although, I do like some of the stuff Henson is doing over in Europe.