Chase Young

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
9.5 sacks in his first 21 games.

He had a solid season last year, and has started slow this. However for a #2 pick that was comparable to Myles Garrett, thats not great production. Especially considering they passed on QB's.

Is it too early to say he was overhyped?

terra

Reaction score
9.5 sacks in his first 21 games.

He had a solid season last year, and has started slow this. However for a #2 pick that was comparable to Myles Garrett, thats not great production. Especially considering they passed on QB's.

Is it too early to say he was overhyped?
he was drafted as a double digit per year sack guy. Ain't done it but give him another year before calling him over rated. Lawrence is being paid as a double digit sack guy and its not happened yet.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
he was drafted as a double digit per year sack guy. Ain't done it but give him another year before calling him over rated. Lawrence is being paid as a double digit sack guy and its not happened yet.
Just because a guy gets compared to someone doesnt mean their trajectory is going to be the same. He could very well wind up as good as Garrett in the long run. However, if I am a Washington fan, Im starting to get a little concerned that they have spent the 2nd overall pick on a decent DE

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A note with Lawrence. When he was getting double digit sacks, they were lining him wide on the left side often. That has always been his best rushing position. The last two seasons, they have been rushing him from a 7 and not a 9 mostly. They gave him a big contract, then stopped using him where he has his most success.

This could be relevant to Young, because maybe Washington really just needs to find his most effective spot. Great rushers can play all over, but they usually still have that one place they are most effective from

John813

Reaction score
Garrett had 16 sacks in his first 21 games(that he played, missed 4 games rookie year).

Had to check to see how many he had*

I think Young is a very good talent but yea, Washington screwed up taking an edge when someone like Herbert was there. Hindsight is 20/20 but the QB is just a way more important position.

IMO Washington is a mess defensively and I've read guys are either slacking at times or playing hero ball ignoring the play call. and since they are losing more than not, leads to having to focus on the run and not going into kill mode.

terra

Reaction score
Garrett had 16 sacks in his first 21 games(that he played, missed 4 games rookie year).

Had to check to see how many he had*

I think Young is a very good talent but yea, Washington screwed up taking an edge when someone like Herbert was there. Hindsight is 20/20 but the QB is just a way more important position.

IMO Washington is a mess defensively and I've read guys are either slacking at times or playing hero ball ignoring the play call. and since they are losing more than not, leads to having to focus on the run and not going into kill mode.
The WFT defense this year reminds me of our D last year.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The WFT defense this year reminds me of our D last year.
They're offseason was very poor IMO. They had to do one of two things 1) Get better now or 2) Build something. They didnt really do either.

With us getting healthier, it was hard to imagine us not being 10-7 this year. To even compete with that they needed to add quality starters in their secondary and skill positions. They didnt. Samuel isnt going to cut it.

Their draft picks weren't bad per say. But they got a LB, a RT, and a WR that may become T Will at some point. They needed to do alot better than that if they wanted to build a legitimately competitive team. With the draft capital they both have, I can see Philadelphia and NY really distancing themselves from Washington next offseason