Cheap Shot by UVA Player

Reaction score
Yeah,i saw that clip on a highlight show saturday.A real bush league play.I don't care if you are talking college or the nfl,there should be zero tolarance for this type of crap.What a pinhead.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Theres no place for that. Your in the heat of the battle and make a dumb decision, but still....no place for that. No self respect, let alone respect for your fellow competitors.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
but it's not like Kiwi made him look stupid on the play, guess he made up for it then with that hit lol

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
Even more disappointing is Al Groh and UVa suspended the guy for 1 game. Here are the comments made by Groh and the scumbag that made the play. It's too bad UVa decided this is how they will define themselves. I guess winning is more important than sportsmanship. In my eyes, there is no way you can justify that type of play.

For those that did not see it, here is a link to the video. http://filebox.vt.edu/users/nvp1986/CheapShotUVa_Kiwi.wmv

Statement from UVa head coach Al Groh:

"Football is the most intense and physical of all games. Because it is so, all of us who have the privilege to participate should have the utmost respect for the game itself and for fellow players and coaches. On Saturday, Brad crossed the line in adhering to that standard, and for that he must take accountability. We have talked in detail and he has assured me that his actions on the play at issue were a result of over aggressiveness and over exuberance to block a challenging opponent and without malice. His intent was to take the player to the ground, not to inflict injury.

"In any case, we regret that the incident occurred and apologize to Mathias. We prize and promote sportsmanship, discipline and accountability and are all concerned that Brad did not handle himself in line with what we expect of a Virginia football player. He accepts responsibility for what occurred. Accordingly, we have agreed that it is right for him not to participate in this week's game against Florida State. At the same time, I must emphasize that Brad has been a model student-athlete his entire time at Virginia and has always conducted himself with the highest standards of behavior on and off the field. "We trust that this will underscore our values, our regret and our apology, and put the incident to rest."

Statement from Brad Butler:
"I've never been one to play outside of the rules. I was not trying to hurt Mathias Kiwanuka. I was engaged in blocking him because he is the type of player who makes plays all over the field. I regret this event occurred and have put the incident behind me."

Smith22

Reaction score
First time I've seen this video. Unreal. Doesn't get any dirtier than that IMO.

Scotman

Reaction score
One game suspension? Blocking the guy? Once of the cheapest shots I've ever seen. One year suspension minimum. Get him off the field. For that price, some dirty coach may sacrifice a scrub just to take someone out.

Whoever #56 is, the guy should get a game ball, not an ejection. Ref just didn't see the whole thing and I understand that. Can the NCAA hand down further suspensions?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
"I've never been one to play outside of the rules. I was not trying to hurt Mathias Kiwanuka. I was engaged in blocking him because he is the type of player who makes plays all over the field. I regret this event occurred and have put the incident behind me."

Get this POS off the field.

joseephuss

Reaction score
That is something the replay official should be able to look at and phone down to the field ref and get that player thrown out.

It appeared that the one ref just missed seeing the whole thing.

jman

Reaction score
Bill Wooten said:
Even more disappointing is Al Groh and UVa suspended the guy for 1 game. Here are the comments made by Groh and the scumbag that made the play. It's too bad UVa decided this is how they will define themselves. I guess winning is more important than sportsmanship. In my eyes, there is no way you can justify that type of play.

For those that did not see it, here is a link to the video. http://filebox.vt.edu/users/nvp1986/CheapShotUVa_Kiwi.wmv

Statement from UVa head coach Al Groh:

"Football is the most intense and physical of all games. Because it is so, all of us who have the privilege to participate should have the utmost respect for the game itself and for fellow players and coaches. On Saturday, Brad crossed the line in adhering to that standard, and for that he must take accountability. We have talked in detail and he has assured me that his actions on the play at issue were a result of over aggressiveness and over exuberance to block a challenging opponent and without malice. His intent was to take the player to the ground, not to inflict injury.

"In any case, we regret that the incident occurred and apologize to Mathias. We prize and promote sportsmanship, discipline and accountability and are all concerned that Brad did not handle himself in line with what we expect of a Virginia football player. He accepts responsibility for what occurred. Accordingly, we have agreed that it is right for him not to participate in this week's game against Florida State. At the same time, I must emphasize that Brad has been a model student-athlete his entire time at Virginia and has always conducted himself with the highest standards of behavior on and off the field. "We trust that this will underscore our values, our regret and our apology, and put the incident to rest."

Statement from Brad Butler:

He was engaged in blocking him? Kiwanuka had his back turned to Butler they weren't engaged in any kind of blocking, the play was over (it seems) and Butler goes right for his knee...That was as intentional as it gets...thought out and done with as much malice as you can imagine. How can you watch that clip and NOT think that was intentional.

The NCAA need to readdress this issue and suspend him for, at the very least, the rest of the year.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
I understand sticking up for your players....But Al Groh is a Idiot for even trying in the least bit to defend this POS!

You Have to be kidding me...A Blind Moron could see a mile away that that was one of the biggest cheap shots I have ever seen...and I have been watching football for 35 years!

One game is not enough.

jay cee

Reaction score
Bump

I don't come over hear too often. I had noticed this thread before, but did not watch the video.

Words cannot describe how little character that guy must have to do something like that.