Cheat Sheet: How Jerry Jones Will Ruin Another Dallas Cowboys Season

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
This requires you turn the page. It has six pages. This is the first. I do not endorse this article, nor deny it's possibility. I am neutral.

HOME / NFL /
How Jerry Jones Will Ruin Another Dallas Cowboys Season
Jerry-Jones_Thearon-W.-Henderson_Getty-Images-1-1024x683.jpg

Jerry Jones is a great owner, but a terrible General Manager | Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images

At first glance, when Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo went down with another back injury during the team’s preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks, it looked like “America’s Team” lost the 2016 season for good.

Despite owner/General Manager Jerry Jones’s best ego-driven attempts at destroying their roster, the Cowboys have built a team capable of contending in the NFC (credit actually goes to Jones’s son, Stephen, and his team of scouts and executives) — if an above-average starting quarterback remains on the roster.

As it turns out, the Cowboys look better off without Romo in their lineup; under the leadership of Dak Prescott, the Cowboys blazed to an 11-2 record, and it looked like things were good in Texas. Remember that while Dallas has the premier offensive line in the NFL, that wouldn’t actually be the case if Jones had his way during the 2014 NFL Draft.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/jerry-jones-will-ruin-dallas-cowboys-season.html/?ref=YF&yptr=yahoo

CCBoy

Reaction score
What makes Tony Romo special, is his pride. Anyone really wanting him to ride the pine?

slick325

Reaction score
What makes Tony Romo special, is his pride. Anyone really wanting him to ride the pine?

@CCBoy...I know that question may have been a rhetorical one but, you know as well as anyone that there is large contingency of Romo haters among Cowboys fans (which astounds me)...so yes they want him to ride the pine. Yes they are happy to move on from him BUT Dallas should get a high pick for him or keep him as the highest paid backup in football (unless of course he goes to Houston and relegates Brock to that distinction). No those Cowboys fans don't realize or care about the pride Romo has...they like many Cowboys haters see Romo as a "scrub" who should be happy to sit the bench and watch a real QB play in Dallas...or he should retire.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's safe to say this article is totally unoriginal and has been rehashed in various forms for as long as the Dallas Cowboys hasn't won a Super Bowl since Jones bought the team. That said, Kaylor repeats an often said hypothetical that should be revisited when Romo has left the roster this offseason.

Speaking of hypotheticals:
Jimmie Kaylor said:
More importantly, though, Prescott led the Cowboys to a 11-2 record to open the season (they could be 12-1 if not for some poor clock management against the New York Giants in Week 1).
I prefer more concrete based assumptions. In my opinion, Dallas would have been 13-0 if Beasley had caught a totally catchable pass and ran a couple yards into the endzone during the first quarter of the game. I say it's more concrete because the hypothetical involves the fewest variables. Heck, the only variable was the drop of Prescott's pass that wasn't difficult for an NFL receiver of Beasley's caliber to catch.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Meh, I know we have all had our issues with Jones over the years but I think we are starting to witness a changing of the guard. He's just the easy target to paint for journalism to point the finger at, and an easy one at that, since Jerry loves his face in the media.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm getting a bit irked by some expecting another to carry the burden of present a full picture with both positives and negatives and then concluding an out come. The outcome is debatable...but a negative and pessimistic end runs having to also deal with the positives. That instead, becomes a troll's action and poor responsibility in providing a full picture in view.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
LOL, so he's saying Jerry will go back to Romo in 2017?

Arguably one of the worst articles about Jones I have ever read.

That's probably why that nitwit writes for something called "CheatSheet".

I hope someone didn't pay that writer to write that. If so, they got ripped off.

cml750

Reaction score
Jerry has already ruined 20 + years. What is one more? It has gotten to the point where a lot of fans are complacent with mediocrity. That is why they have not had an issue with a coach needing years of OJT and even after 6 1/2 seasons, still can't manage a game clock. But hey we were 13-3 so that is as good as a Superbowl for some fans.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meh, I know we have all had our issues with Jones over the years but I think we are starting to witness a changing of the guard. He's just the easy target to paint for journalism to point the finger at, and an easy one at that, since Jerry loves his face in the media.
Let's be totally real. You're right. Jones is an easy target. He's the equivalent of being tagged 'it' for a game of Dodgeball and he's surrounded by 500 people holding soccer balls.

In this case, the article's premise is Jones destroying the 2017 season by forcing Romo back into the starting lineup. That's a possibility (insert famous Dumb And Dumber scene here) but not highly likely. The most likely scenario involves Romo's departure from the team. So what does Kaylor writes about? Answer: The least likely scenario.

Additionally, the fear mongering click bait totally depends on some readers' Romo-phobia. Again, the possibility exists that Romo couldn't lead the team to the playoffs in 2017 and help the team advance once there but another possibility exists that he could. And some people cannot and will not allow their minds to accept the latter possibility. Even though the latter possibility will be rendered totally void once Romo has been traded or released, the remote threat of Romo actually helping the team succeed is truly disturbing to some people. Thus, media instigators like Kaylor are 'validated' in creating this unoriginal claptrap day-after-day, week-after-week, etc. because it DOES attract attention.

Kaylor has placed himself within a future quandary though. If Romo is not on the team this season AND Dallas does not meet expected goals, the result would shine the spotlight squarely upon Kaylor's premise, However, how many people will even remember what the article said now months down the road?

visionary

Reaction score
@CCBoy...I know that question may have been a rhetorical one but, you know as well as anyone that there is large contingency of Romo haters among Cowboys fans (which astounds me)...so yes they want him to ride the pine. Yes they are happy to move on from him BUT Dallas should get a high pick for him or keep him as the highest paid backup in football (unless of course he goes to Houston and relegates Brock to that distinction). No those Cowboys fans don't realize or care about the pride Romo has...they like many Cowboys haters see Romo as a "scrub" who should be happy to sit the bench and watch a real QB play in Dallas...or he should retire.

I've seen some idiotic posts but this one takes the cake

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
How did Jerry even ruin last season to ruin next? We killed the draft. Found our future QB. Took the best RB since AP. Possibly found our defensive leader for the next decade.

He didn't call a screen to Beasley on second and 1

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was holding out hope that we might get a middle round pick but at this point just cut him so we can get past this garbage.

Proof

Reaction score
I honestly believe that Jerry is a character devised to take heat. Early on the egomania and missteps were organic, but I think along the way he discovered a recipe for ratings, interest and deflection by allowing himself to be the incompetent boob. Not to say their aren't genuine moments, but my gut says there's some design

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

Great post!
I've pretty much controlled myself/ refrained from personal feelings of this matter being injected into the "Romo hate fest" threads cuz I like this forum and don't wanna get bounced/banned.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
@CCBoy...I know that question may have been a rhetorical one but, you kmid now as well as anyone that there is large contingency of Romo haters among Cowboys fans (which astounds me)...so yes they want him to ride the pine. Yes they are happy to move on from him BUT Dallas should get a high pick for him or keep him as the highest paid backup in football (unless of course he goes to Houston and relegates Brock to that distinction). No those Cowboys fans don't realize or care about the pride Romo has...they like many Cowboys haters see Romo as a "scrub" who should be happy to sit the bench and watch a real QB play in Dallas...or he should retire.
To be fair there is a blend of both and shouldn't box anybody into some category of being a personal Romo hater over being a Cowboy fan; love of team v player is how the Pats run things. I love Romo, but want something for him too. Unfortunately, JJ has the worst poker face of any GM in the league so we're down to hoping Romo could fetch us near nothing. Most would wait until at least after the draft. If we aren't able to generate anything positive in a draft time trade, trade him to the AFC team of his choosing for a conditional pick.

I don't see us being big FA players and Martin isn't going anywhere regardless. I'm not losing sleep if we lose TW over this...Berry would be my FA exception (if available) while letting both Wilcox and Church walk. If it meant we could get Berry, I could support the pushing for the cap savings from Romo.

Last edited: