Chicago Daily Herald: Owens' antics don't faze Bears

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Owens' antics don't faze Bears
By Bob LeGere | Daily Herald Staff

Published: 9/21/2007 12:41 AM

When last we saw Terrell Owens in person, he was doing sit-ups in the end zone at Soldier Field after scoring a touchdown in the Philadelphia Eagles' 19-9 victory over the Bears on Oct. 3, 2004.

Owens caught 8 passes for 110 yards that day.

A year earlier, as a member of the San Francisco 49ers, Owens torched the Bears for 7 catches and 112 yards, but they kept him out of the end zone. On Dec. 17, 2000, Owens blew up on the Bears for an NFL-record 20 catches, 283 yards and 1 touchdown.

"T.O. is T.O," said strong-side linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer. "We all know who he is just because you hear about him so much. All I remember about that game (in 2004) is that he was doing the sit-ups in the end zone.
"Hopefully we won't get to see any touchdown celebrations from him."

The NFL fined Owens $7,500 for his touchdown celebration in Sunday's victory over Miami. Owens used the football as a prop, pretending it was a camera and that he was filming -- an obvious goof on New England coach Bill Belichick, who was fined $500,000 recently in the "Spygate" incident.

"It's like they're trying to find any way to take fun out of the game," Owens said. "I'm kind of limited right now in what I can do. I'm like (Bill) Belichick. I misinterpreted the rules."

None of the Bears' defenders admit they're insulted by Owens' antics, which generally are more entertaining than mean-spirited.

"I don't really care," Hillenmeyer said. "He does what he's got to do to sell his jerseys, I guess."

Cornerback Nate Vasher said the Bears' defensive backs may do a little choreography at today's practice in the event they return an interception for a touchdown Sunday night.

"If I get a pick, I might get up and dance, too," cornerback Charles Tillman said. "That's just how it is. You can't take that personal."

Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher limits his post-play activity to celebrations with his teammates, but he says T.O.'s showmanship doesn't offend him.

"Everyone has their own ways," Urlacher said. "We have guys who celebrate, too. Personally, I don't do it. Not that mine is right or his is right. That's just the way he does it. But I could do without it. I've said that before."

There's a simple solution for the Bears to spare themselves from any histrionics.

"If we don't want him to do it, we should stop (Owens from scoring)," Urlacher said. "If you make a play, I guess you've earned the right to do your dance or do your little whatever you do after you make a play."

Lovie backers: Growing up in Big Sandy, Texas, Bears coach Lovie Smith was a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, especially wide receiver Bob Hayes and quarterback Roger Staubach. But even those family members who still reside in Texas have switched their allegiance.

"We have quite a few coming up for the game," Smith said. "I think they're already in their Chicago Bear gear."

Road to recovery: Guard Ruben Brown (shoulder) returned to practice Thursday, and defensive end Alex Brown (ankle), defensive tackle Tommie Harris (hamstring), center Olin Kreutz (ankle), cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. (back) and punter Brad Maynard (groin) all had limited participation in the workout.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cbz40;1658855 said:
Lovie backers: Growing up in Big Sandy, Texas, Bears coach Lovie Smith was a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, especially wide receiver Bob Hayes and quarterback Roger Staubach. But even those family members who still reside in Texas have switched their allegiance.

"We have quite a few coming up for the game," Smith said. "I think they're already in their Chicago Bear gear."
Traitors. :rolleyes: :)

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Boring, ... what do they think the Bears will say?

"Yea, we love T.O., we hope he scores a couple of TD's Sunday night so we can see his new celebrations !!"

:rolleyes:

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1658968 said:
Boring, ... what do they think the Bears will say?

"Yea, we love T.O., we hope he scores a couple of TD's Sunday night so we can see his new celebrations !!"

:rolleyes:

I thought TO's spygate impersonation was timely and hilarious, but I hope he doesn't do anything that gets him penalized this week, especially after Phillips told the whole world that he told him not to do it anymore. I could do without any planned celebrations for a couple games.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Colo;1659013 said:
I thought TO's spygate impersonation was timely and hilarious, but I hope he doesn't do anything that gets him penalized this week, especially after Phillips told the whole world that he told him not to do it anymore. I could do without any planned celebrations for a couple games.
Good post.