Chiefs coach on Derrick Johnson

wick

Reaction score
DERRICK JOHNSON: Cook just smiles and shakes his head when the team’s No. 1 draft choice is mentioned. “Easily, the most talented first-round pick I’ve been associated with since Derrick Thomas,” said Cook. “He’s shown everything to us that he showed last year at Texas, but he’s also been more physical than we saw. The knock on him was he wouldn’t go through people, but I think he’s shown us that he’s willing to do that.

“He’s got a great motor, a great personality and some of the things he does, just have not been done around here. When he came off the left side on the pass rush in Friday’s mini-camp practice and reached up and grabbed that ball out of the air like he was Manute Bol or something, well … I haven’t seen that done around here.”

http://kcchiefs.com/news/2005/06/27/gretz_offseason_look_rookies/

gbrittain

Reaction score
I think when it is all said and done, there will be quite a few teams regret passing on him.

Reaction score
I can see where people thought he wasn't physical enough... IF they watched him his first two years in school... but, he worked hard at improving that... last year he was taking on blockers very well... but, if he can run around them and make the play, what's the point of going and finding a lineman to hit??

wick

Reaction score
StonetheCrow77 said:
I can see where people thought he wasn't physical enough... IF they watched him his first two years in school... but, he worked hard at improving that... last year he was taking on blockers very well... but, if he can run around them and make the play, what's the point of going and finding a lineman to hit??

You mean needlessly shortening your career to look tougher while probably not making the tackle isn't a good thing? Who knew?

Reaction score
StonetheCrow77 said:

Because in the NFL you have to play in a system where others count on you to be in a certain position, not freelancing.

Reaction score
Drederick Tatum said:
Because in the NFL you have to play in a system where others count on you to be in a certain position, not freelancing.

tell that to Dex... he didn't take on a lot of blockers... neither does Urlacher...

wick

Reaction score
Drederick Tatum said:

I loathe in-the-box thinking. I'm sure there were scouts in 1981 complaining that Lawrence Taylor just attacked upfield and hadn't shown he could play the pass. Said scout probably remarked, "In the NFL, you have to play in a system where others count on you to be in the right zone. You can't just try to sack the quarterback every play."

gbrittain

Reaction score
wick said:
I loathe in-the-box thinking. I'm sure there were scouts in 1981 complaining that Lawrence Taylor just attacked upfield and hadn't shown he could play the pass. Said scout probably remarked, "In the NFL, you have to play in a system where others count on you to be in the right zone. You can't just try to sack the quarterback every play."

Kind of like E. Smith was too short and too slow to make it in the NFL.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
The sad part is Jhonson is probaly the only player worth paying attention to on their D, so of course it makes him look all the better,

Reaction score
StonetheCrow77 said:
tell that to Dex... he didn't take on a lot of blockers... neither does Urlacher...

how many is a lot?

I would beg to differ about Urlacher.

I think Derrick Johnson is a special player, but the point is that many scouts saw (or didn't see) something with him with regard to his toughness. In the NFL its not a matter of just flying around all the time, you have to take on blocks and do other things to support the defensive scheme you are running, and some times that means playing a supporting role to set up your team mates.

One thing about Derrick Johnson that bothered me, and as well maybe some scouts, is that he doesn't wrap up his tackles, preferring rather to fly at their ankles. That technique probably wont work that well in the NFL.

Reaction score
So... how many blockers do you think Ware is going to be taking on?? Don't you think Parcell's is going to use him in space?

Urlacher "tries" to take on blockers... he isn't very good at it...

Reaction score
wick said:

Lawrence Taylor attempting to sack the QB on most every play was THE SYSTEM he was playing in. I am pretty sure he wasn't outside the box with Parcells as head coach.

parchy

Reaction score
StonetheCrow77 said:

It's easy to rack up the tackles when you're not taking on blockers, but you do it at a detriment to your team... Dex had a defense where he didn't have to take on blocks... Urlacher is good enough in space that it doesn't matter what he does, he'll be there... Johnson's 'inherited' a defense that doesn't have a lot of meat up front (we'll see about Kendrell Bell), and they need him to be down and dirty... the Chiefs had a bunch of trouble disrupting plays in the backfield last season and if Johnson can't rough up the offense he won't be nearly as useful as he could be

Reaction score
My point was... Just because he didn't take on blockers most of the time in Texas, doesn't mean he can't... when he actually did get caught, he did a good job of disengaging himself....

It may take some work to break his habit of running around... but, as an OLB you don't have to take on a blocker every play... if he can make the play with out doing that, why discredit his play making ability...

It's ok... when he is the DROY everyone will be saying I told you so...

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I was really hoping we would take Johnson at #11 but I am happy with Ware and Spears.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
wick said:
DERRICK JOHNSON: Cook just smiles and shakes his head when the team’s No. 1 draft choice is mentioned. “Easily, the most talented first-round pick I’ve been associated with since Derrick Thomas,” said Cook. “He’s shown everything to us that he showed last year at Texas, but he’s also been more physical than we saw. The knock on him was he wouldn’t go through people, but I think he’s shown us that he’s willing to do that.

“He’s got a great motor, a great personality and some of the things he does, just have not been done around here. When he came off the left side on the pass rush in Friday’s mini-camp practice and reached up and grabbed that ball out of the air like he was Manute Bol or something, well … I haven’t seen that done around here.”

http://kcchiefs.com/news/2005/06/27/gretz_offseason_look_rookies/

Someone please explain to me how he is more physcial in NON CONTACT workouts than he was in game's last year. How in the hell can they tell something like this when the players are only allowed minimal contact in Mini-camps and OTA's?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I am very happy we took Ware.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Someone please explain to me how he is more physcial in NON CONTACT workouts than he was in game's last year. How in the hell can they tell something like this when the players are only allowed minimal contact in Mini-camps and OTA's?

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Roughneck

Reaction score
Watching DJ for 4 years in Austin was an absolute pleasure and I would have loved for him to be a Cowboy. But there is no doubt in my mind that we still made the right decision with the Ware/Spears Combo.