Chiefs signing QB Carson Wentz to one-year deal

Motorola

Reaction score
It's just what people assume it means, not what it actually means. At least the team to team part. A journeyman can be on one team his entire career.
That is just flat out wrong.
Udonis Haslem was in the NBA for 20 seasons - all with the Miami Heat.
No one would consider him being a journeyman..
Going from one team to another - spending a season or two at each one - over a good number of seasons (6 or 7 would be timeframe to apply) - along with not being a star player - that is what I consider a "journeyman" to be in professional sports.

Last edited:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Going from one team to another - spending a season or two at each one - over a good number of seasons (6 or 7 would be timeframe to apply) - along with not being a star player - that is what I consider a "journeyman" to be in professional sports.
Carson Wentz is a prime example of “journeyman”.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

jour·ney·man
/ˈjərnēmən/
noun
noun: journeyman; plural noun: journeymen
  1. 1.
    a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
    "a solid journeyman professional"

The traveling part has just been assumed by a lot of people. It's a misnomer.

lightbulb-icon.svg

Did you know?​

The journey in journeyman refers to a sense of the familiar word not often used anymore: "a day's labor." This sense of journey was first used in the 14th century. When journeyman appeared the following century, it originally referred to a person who, having learned a handicraft or trade through an apprenticeship, worked for daily wages. In the 16th century, journeyman picked up a figurative (and mainly deprecatory) sense; namely, "one who drudges for another." These days, however, journeyman has little to do with drudgery, and lots to do with knowing a trade inside out.

Motorola

Reaction score
The traveling part has just been assumed by a lot of people. It's a misnomer.
No it's not a misnomer.
Wikipedia:
'In American English, a journeyman or journeywoman is an athlete that is technically competent but unable to excel.

The term is also used elsewhere in American, British, and Australian contexts to refer to a professional sportsman who plays for numerous clubs in his career.'

The term has been used for many decades by sports broadcasters covering MLB, NBA, and NFL games on TV and radio.

Mr_Slicky

Reaction score
You mean get an easy ring again he already got one of those although he helped a little bit in 2017 he has a ring my man
Wentz is more likely to get two SB rings before Dak even makes it to the Championship game, let alone the Super Bowl.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Wentz is more likely to get two SB rings before Dak even makes it to the Championship game, let alone the Super Bowl.
What's your point ?? he's doing it from the bench....

you know how many special teams or players on the practice squad that may not even have a snap that have Super Bowl rings?? too many to count..​
I believe they give the janitors and the locker room people rings as well, they're slightly different , you do realize on every team that goes to a Super Bowl no matter your role you get a ring??

so how's that all come back to Prescott? I mean you have a knock on Prescott for a team accomplishment where everyone gets a ring and somehow, you're shining a light on Carson wentz because he happened to be on a team they got a ring with their backup quarterback who played better than him and then find his way onto another team that possibly can get a ring...

I don't see your point, it's much different than being the guy on a team and trying to win a ring when the team's not good enough to do it just like Matthew Stafford plays 13 years with the lions and never even got to the second round of a playoff game, I don't even know if he ever won a playoff game, immediately comes to a Super Bowl ready team and somehow he's looked at as a Super Bowl winning quarterback when he was just one piece to a very well assembled team...

That is why Troy and Roger have rings because they had an ridiculous elite run game offensive line coaching defense a very well put together team that showed up to play in the playoffs... Roman Prescott has yet to have that you show me those losses recently by Prescott and show me where everyone else played elite ball by him and I can tell you how you're a liar your eyes are lying to you we have not had a strong run game or a physical offensive line or consistent defense or special teams and for sure the game plans and the adjustments by our coaches just **** **** and we're playing the quarterback...

Last edited:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
What's your point ?? he's doing it from the bench....

you know how many special teams or players on the practice squad that may not even have a snap that have Super Bowl rings?? too many to count..​
I believe they give the janitors and the locker room people rings as well, they're slightly different , you do realize on every team that goes to a Super Bowl no matter your role you get a ring??

so how's that all come back to Prescott? I mean you have a knock on Prescott for a team accomplishment where everyone gets a ring and somehow, you're shining a light on Carson wentz because he happened to be on a team they got a ring with their backup quarterback who played better than him and then find his way onto another team that possibly can get a ring...

I don't see your point, it's much different than being the guy on a team and trying to win a ring when the team's not good enough to do it just like Matthew Stafford plays 13 years with the lions and never even got to the second round of a playoff game, I don't even know if he ever won a playoff game, immediately comes to a Super Bowl ready team and somehow he's looked at as a Super Bowl winning quarterback when he was just one piece to a very well assembled team...

That is why Troy and Roger have rings because they had an ridiculous elite run game offensive line coaching defense a very well put together team that showed up to play in the playoffs... Roman Prescott has yet to have that you show me those losses recently by Prescott and show me where everyone else played elite ball by him and I can tell you how you're a liar your eyes are lying to you we have not had a strong run game or a physical offensive line or consistent defense or special teams and for sure the game plans and the adjustments by our coaches just **** **** and we're playing the quarterback...
Nice try, but you get the point. One might get a second ring because he knows his role is not the “guy”. The other gets no rings because he should not be in the role of the “guy”.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
There's zero doubt now. Wentz is a journeyman career backup. I don't think this is a dumb move by KC. There's no doubt who the starter is, and Wentz is a capable backup.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Nice try, but you get the point. One might get a second ring because he knows his role is not the “guy”. The other gets no rings because he should not be in the role of the “guy”.
There is no point to your previous post other than just bashing on Prescott. It was a terrible comparison based on a false equivalence. Similar to when people compared Martellus Bennett getting a ring, but Jason Witten doesn't have one.

Wentz only knows his role because no team stepped up to offer him a starting QB position. Not surprising for a guy who has 1 single pass completion in the playoffs his entire career.