Choice's running style, might be way to go against Baltimore

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Choice has a very quick/knifing style of running. He changes direction very quickly with a decent burst. It's difficult to tell which way he is going to go. He hits that hole quick too, with some nice vision.

If Baltimore is gonna throw everything and the kitchen sink at us with blitz packages, I think Choices quick hole-hitting style will give us a good counter.
Barber is a heavier/harder runner, but can take some time getting going sometimes.

I think we have 3 awesome compementary runner styles on this team. I wouldn't mind seeing them add a big horse backup FB next year, but man if we had Felix out there now, that speed dimension would make this backfield a think of beauty!

LarryCanadian

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
the thing I like about Choice is that he chooses to run inside

I love Barber, but that dude is too in love with trying to turn it outside

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
First off, if Barber's not healthy, there's no sense in playing him. He was almost useless tonight.

Secondly, I'm not sure if I don't like Barber best in a relief role still. Now, he can "start" and what not, but I think it's best for us moving forward to heavily split the early carries -- kinda like what what Madden was saying Garrett planned to do tonight. I really like Barber as a fourth-quarter back but I don't think it's a bad idea to get these other backs heavily involved early.

I guess what I'm saying is that I question Barber's value over the first two quarters. Not that he's bad by any means, but that if we can get more out of the position by saving him for later in the game and utilizing other runners early.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We wouldn't have won without him tonight. He almost singlehandedly helped us whip Pitt last week too. I wasn't expecting this much from the rookie. I am pleasantly surprised. Hope to see more next week. He executes screen passes pretty well. Of course, the blocking on those plays was pretty good tonight.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Barber is obviously injured. Barber has been very good and quite consistent, so I take nothing from him. He wears down oppossing D. I just think you can use Choice and he brings a different skill set in. He is quicker than Barber. He slashes nicely and he really has a quick burst at the hole. They complement well. Barber is obviously not 100% and I highly doubt he will be by Sat. This team has enough talent to use it's backs and spell each other. I would prefer it to be play by play and not series by series. Keep D guessing. Barber is more of a pounder. Choice is more of a slasher/agile guy. Both are excellent in passing game and this has been a HUGE plus over last few weeks.

We are getting excellent reception yardage and YAC from our running backs for quite a few games now.

When Felix comes back next year, I'd still love to see a 3 headed monster. Everyone is fresher, different skill sets and benefits to offense, and each learns to be as complete a back as possible (running, blocking, catching). What a great young stable of backs!

LarryCanadian

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I just wonder how much we could get for Choice in a trade?

imagining getting a 2nd, or even a 1st for a 4th round pick...

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2495154 said:

Which sounds nice in theory, but what if the pick you acquire busts? And you've surrendered a reliable, gutsy player for someone that offers nothing?

Secondly, I doubt Choice's performances the last few weeks are enough to warrant a high pick, and we have two running backs ahead of him on the depth chart that have had trouble staying healthy this season. It's not a position I'd start chipping away the depth from.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
I like the way Tashard Choice squares his shoulders and turns it upfield without a lot of wasted motion. He seems to have faith that the hole will develop where the design of the play indicates it should be - instead of hesitating while waiting for visual evidence of the hole. This characteristic reminds me of the great Emmitt Smith.

Dallas would wreak hell in the running game with a healthy Barber, Jones, and Choice. The rest of the league should pray that this three-headed tandem never materializes.

Aikbach

Reaction score
The Choice is clear, its Tashard.:)
Never has one man's name had so many built in annoying puns.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
SuspectCorner;2495171 said:
I like the way Tashard Choice squares his shoulders and turns it upfield without a lot of wasted motion. He seems to have faith that the hole will develop where the design of the play indicates it should be - instead of hesitating while waiting for visual evidence of the hole. This characteristic reminds me of the great Emmitt Smith.

Dallas would wreak hell in the running game with a healthy Barber, Jones, and Choice. The rest of the league should pray that this three-headed tandem never materializes.

The bolded part was always what I was so impressed with Emmitt about. He never had any wasted motion. He didn't dance when he didn't need to, he didn't swing his arms around all over the place, he always did just enough to hit the hole and get past the guy in front of him. He never wasted any energy and I think that's why he had such a long career.

Choice does have some of that in him. He's not flashy, but he gives you results. Now, he just needs to keep doing it whenever he gets the opportunity.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2495154 said:

Yup. He's worth more than where he was drafted. Same with Scandrick (a 5th rounder). That's what good drafts are all about.

Not that we'd want to trade Choice or Scandrick, but the question of what they are worth on the open market - in draft choice terms - is interesting. Conservatively, a 3rd for each. I'm not sure that Choice has shown enough for long enough to get a 2nd rounder. Scandrick? Maybe he's shown enough for some team to think he's worth a 2nd.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
Aikbach;2495186 said:
The Choice is clear, its Tashard.:)
Never has one man's name had so many built in annoying puns.
"He's the right Choice."

:banghead:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
The 1-2 punch that was Julius Jones and Marion "the closer" Barber worked, WORKED WELL.

That should now be Choice/Barber.
Then when Felix comes back. Felix/Barber.

newlander

Reaction score
RainMan is right: BArber is hurt. Sit him before that thing gets worse. Choice is more than adequate and have Coleman back him up.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Choice needs more reps, it's a no brainer. Barber needs to be forced to rest and heal because he's only hurting the team by playing right now. Now let's get a little more creative with Choice, more screens, more dump offs, and run him a little more to the outside. His vision is a thing of beauty and he's just getting started. Choice will be the difference in the stretch, keep giving it to the hot hand...:a-team:

superpunk

Reaction score
I think we just might have to go with Choice because it is CLEAR that Marion cannot plant and cut.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Choice reminds me of Dorsett maybe without the homurun ability. The way he kind of glides/strides and gets that low center of gravity reminds me of Tony D.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
This is a clear reason why you always draft the BPA instead of need. Who would have thought Choice would even play this year. Now look how important he has become. Wise draft move Jerry. Maybe you have learned a thing or two after all these years.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER;2495404 said:
Choice reminds me of Dorsett maybe without the homurun ability. The way he kind of glides/strides and gets that low center of gravity reminds me of Tony D.

I don't know what you're talking about. He hit a home run last night! Give the guy some credit.

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
I would love to see Barber/Choice establish the ground game early against the Ravens. With Ed Reed in there backfield, and Romo being the ambishious type.... that smells of trouble. We don't seem to fair to well against teams with good safties.

Barber = Thunder
Choice = Lighting