Chris Gocong DE/OLB Cal Poly

BigWillie

Reaction score
Chris Gocong 6'3 265lbs.

Was anyone impressed with this small school player today? I sure was.

2005 stats: 98 tackles, 22.5 sacks (led I-AA) 4 FF

This after having 17 1/2 sacks as a junior. It seems he has ripped thru smaller competition.

Gocong was timed in around 4.6 today for the forty and just seemed very overly quick. In reading about him, alot of peopl were impressed with his play and instincts during the Shrine Bowl earlier this year. Moreso the first play of the game in which he sniffed out a dump pass.

Here's some tape of the guy to chew on ... http://2006.ontheclockdraft.com/content/videos/ChrisGocong.php

Would be an ideal mid-draft pick. He's a sleeper I wouldn't mind if we kept our eye on.

ciron

Reaction score
Thought this guy looked real good last night.. Very fluid athelete.. sack totals great ..

My first thoughts where this guy looks and moves like a younger / faster Teddy Bruschi..

Only question.. How would he be at the point of attack..

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
BigWillie said:
Chris Gocong 6'3 265lbs.

Was anyone impressed with this small school player today? I sure was.

2005 stats: 98 tackles, 22.5 sacks (led I-AA) 4 FF

This after having 17 1/2 sacks as a junior. It seems he has ripped thru smaller competition.

Gocong was timed in around 4.6 today for the forty and just seemed very overly quick. In reading about him, alot of peopl were impressed with his play and instincts during the Shrine Bowl earlier this year. Moreso the first play of the game in which he sniffed out a dump pass.

Here's some tape of the guy to chew on ... http://2006.ontheclockdraft.com/content/videos/ChrisGocong.php

Would be an ideal mid-draft pick. He's a sleeper I wouldn't mind if we kept our eye on.
I've talked about this kid for a long time, but is surprised to see him run a 4.6. He has the same speed as Merriman and almost as big. I would love to get this guy, but he looks to go in the 3rd or 4th now.

I certainly wouldn't mind getting him in the 4th.

Reaction score
I saw him play against Texas State in the playoffs. He may not have ended the game with monster numbers, but he was all over the field and quite disruptive. In fact, he was pretty much a one-man show.

I wouldn't have minded him in the 4th or 5th (if we had a 4th and I don't think he'll make it to the 5th with his impressive combine numbers)

That being said, I also saw Kavika Pittman play against Texas State (SWT back in those days) and he was a man among boys. He was the Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Year that year. He was a monster that dominated from the beginning to end of that game. I actually did radio play-by-play in the first half and color commentary in the 2nd half for that game. I must have said his name 100 times that afternoon.

After watching that game, I thought he would be a draft day steal! So go figure!

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I saw him in the East West Shrine Game. He was an impact player. I think he had at least one sack and a few tackles for losses. Reminds me of Bruschi in body type and style of play.

Pokes28

Reaction score
He's been on my radar since I saw him in a playoff game. I don't get into 1-AA players often, but every year I record the late night re-runs of the playoff games. Usually I just go through the introductions and such to see if there are any players that jump out. He certainly does.

Personally, I view him as a perfect fit for us.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If we were to acquire a 4 via trade down, we could swipe him up, and that would be a home run. I would like to say we should go after Chad Jackson in the 1st, but I have to wait and see what Parcells does about RT and Terrell Owens.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
He did look good.
He looked a little small though.

He's not small for an OLB. Gocong and Haralson looked the best in the drills by far.

ddh33

Reaction score
I like him. He looked smooth and fluid in his movements. I think he'll be pretty smooth in transitioning to a new position.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
according to a pay site I frequent, he's got a private workout scheduled with the Cowboys.

Pokes28

Reaction score
I still think he'd be a great fit as a MLB in the 3-4. From all accounts, he's very smart and has the strength to hold up in the middle. He won't have as many coverage assignments and would give us a guy that we can send on middle blitzes (which we haven't used successfully in years).

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
According to Gocong's draft diary on the paysite, the Cowboys had him working out as a ILB. The Patriots worked him out as a OLB.