CHRON: Casserly in the running for job as NFL senior VP

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After 6 years with Texans, GM is candidate for position vacated when Shell returned to coaching

By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

LAKE BUENA VISTA, FLA. - Texans general manager Charley Casserly is emerging as a candidate to replace Art Shell as the NFL's senior vice president of football operations and development.

During the NFL spring meetings this week, four league and team officials said Casserly is a candidate for the position that was vacated when Shell was hired to return to Oakland as the Raiders' head coach.

Casserly, who is a member of the NFL's powerful competition committee, is under contract to the Texans through June 2007. Because of his longtime association with the NFL, he has vast knowledge of the inner workings of the league office in New York.

The position may not be filled until a replacement for commissioner Paul Tagliabue is hired. Tagliabue is hoping to leave office in July but is willing to stay on longer if necessary.

When asked Wednesday about replacing Shell, Casserly declined to comment on the position or his possible interest in the job.

"I'm under contract, and my total efforts are geared to free agency and the draft and will continue to be," Casserly said.

Ever since Texans owner Bob McNair hired Dan Reeves as a consultant late last season, there has been speculation that Casserly would leave after the draft, which will take place April 29-30. Reeves was brought in without Casserly's knowledge.

Reeves, who coached new Texans coach Gary Kubiak in Denver and strongly recommended him to McNair, fulfilled his obligations to the owner and is no longer associated with the team.

"I haven't heard anything about this from anyone in the league office, but that doesn't mean there's not something to it," McNair said. "Right now, we're scheduled to sit down and meet after the draft and evaluate everything. When we do that, we'll see where everything's headed."

Although Casserly refused to discuss the situation, it makes sense that if he doesn't emerge from that meeting with McNair with a long-term contract extension and his power intact, he'll leave the Texans with a settlement on the last year of his contract.

If Casserly leaves, Reeves will not be a candidate to replace him.

"I've never considered Dan as a candidate to be the general manager," McNair said. "I hired Dan to help us evaluate personnel. He didn't evaluate Charley or (former coach) Dom (Capers).

"Dan did a great job helping me assess where we are as a team. He also helped in the search to find our new coach."

Kubiak, whose job is to resurrect a 2-14 team, has developed a good working relationship with Casserly — hired by the Texans in January 2000 to oversee the personnel side of the organization. Although Kubiak has a lot of influence in personnel decisions, Casserly still oversees the draft.

Not only is Casserly busy scouting, he is trying to acquire receiver Eric Moulds in a trade with Buffalo. With Casserly leading the way, the Texans have enjoyed a productive free-agent period, signing eight players.

Kubiak and his staff identified the players they wanted. It has been up to Casserly and director of negotiations Dan Ferens to acquire them. After last season, Casserly gave up some of his non-personnel responsibilities to Ferens.

Considering that, realistically, the Texans have only one way to go, this wouldn't seem like the ideal time for Casserly to leave. In light of the excitement created by Kubiak and his new staff combined with the success in free agency and owning four of the first 66 picks in the draft, the Texans have an opportunity to improve significantly this season.

Casserly, who has an East Coast background, would seem to be an ideal replacement for Shell. He is well-connected in the league office and with other teams, college coaches and agents.

Casserly grew up in River Ridge, N.J., and went to college in Massachusetts, where he also began his coaching career. He spent 23 years with the Washington Commanders, earning three Super Bowl rings.

john.mcclain@chron.com

LINK