CHRON: Texans hire Dan Reeves as Talent Consultant

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

With the Texans losing a third consecutive game in the final seconds and being stuck with a six-game losing streak, owner Bob McNair made a stunning move Monday when he hired former coach Dan Reeves as a consultant.

Reeves, who resides in Atlanta, joins the NFL's worst team with three games remaining against Arizona, Jacksonville and San Francisco. He will attend some practices and all games. He also will watch tape of the Texans' games and practices in his role that requires him to assist coach Dom Capers and general manager Charley Casserly, each of whom's job is in jeopardy. McNair has said repeatedly that no decisions would be made on Capers and Casserly until after the season.

"I've known Dan for a very long time," said McNair, who, like Reeves, is a graduate of the University of South Carolina. "We'd like to have him evaluate our team and give us his opinion as to how close we are to being a winning team. We have our thoughts as to what we need, and we look forward to hearing Dan's independent evaluation and comments. He knows what it takes to get to the Super Bowl, and that's our goal. I think he can be a valuable resource for us as we go through this process."

Reeves, 61, has been doing a sports talk show on Sirius Satellite Radio. He hasn't worked in the NFL since the Falcons fired him in December of 2003. He's a Tom Landry protege who played and coached for Landry before going to Denver for his first head-coaching job. Reeves also was the New York Giants' head coach before going to Atlanta.

As soon as McNair made the move, speculation began that Reeves would be a leading candidate to replace Capers after the season. Reeves had control of personnel with the Broncos and Falcons. He said if he were a candidate for the Texans' job, he wouldn't have accepted McNair's offer to be a consultant. But Reeves admitted that he would still like to coach if the right offer came along.

Reeves had a 201-172-2 record as a head coach. As a player, assistant coach and head coach, Reeves appeared in nine Super Bowls, more than anyone in history.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3519593.html

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
Dan Reeves is a great football coach and a class guy. I am glad to see he is back in the NFL...

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
The Texans need all the help they can get......Dan Reeves should be able to provide some.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
and the new head coach of the Texans will be.....

Ummmmmmmm........would you like to make a guess? :)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I wonder what his first task is? Telling them they need to get better O-line play.

Damn, I could be a talent consultant too.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I'll take a shot.

Dan Reeves.

That's a very good guess cajun......don't rule out the GM job. TLW47 might have hit the nail on the head.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
That's a very good guess cajun......don't rule out the GM job. TLW47 might have hit the nail on the head.
They could do a lot worse. Switzer as GM and Gailey as HC :laugh1:

TLW47

Reaction score
The funny thing is the Texans owner said Jerry uses consultants. I've never heard that although I have no doubt it's true if this other owner says so. So who does Jerry consult with?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
TLW47 said:
The funny thing is the Texans owner said Jerry uses consultants. I've never heard that although I have no doubt it's true if this other owner says so. So who does Jerry consult with?
Ron Wolf comes in during TC every year

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Reeves has been mentioning quite a bit lately on his morning Sirius NFL show that he'd like to get back into coaching. Surprise surprise.

TLW47

Reaction score
Wouldn't be a surprise. Look at Bill. Heart problems and he's back coaching. Dan could do the same.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:

Not sure about Kubiak. He has had his opportunities in the past for some high profile jobs and turned them down to stay in Denver. Why would he go to a franchise like Houston, Is my question. Although I guess the expectations are pretty low there so that might be one reason.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
They have had pretty good drafts. Always picking the guy that they should.

I really think that Tony Boselli trade really hurt their franchise.

- Mike G.