Twitter: Cincinnati Is Listening To Offers For The 1 Pick

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
If reports are true that Dak is asking for 40 million, I'd personally do it. And as far as drafting QBs, you can't be afraid of drafting a bust. Trust your scouting and FO personnel.
great then you draft someone else who does put up the #'s to warrant the $ and you trade them off again because while you're not afraid of drafting a bust, you are afraid of paying your good choices.

makes perfect sense. well, to someone else i'm sure.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Troy wasn't known for accuracy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...cks-of-all-time-patriots-tom-brady-leads-list

14) Troy Aikman

Dallas Cowboys, 1989-2000

If Young was the prototype for the modern-day quarterback, Aikman was the embodiment of what every GM in pro football was looking for at the position from 1950 until Y2K. That is, a tall, steady presence in the pocket and in the huddle, complete with a strong arm that operated with a tight release. Aikman could see, sense and let it fly as quickly as anyone, despite not being necessarily known for doing so. You might have heard that Aikman's numbers aren't as impressive because the Cowboys' offense was all about running the football. Well, that isn't exactly true. What is accurate is that Dallas' offense was a replica of the Air Coryell attack, which threw for quality, not quantity. With the Cowboys leading so often late in games in the '90s, there was no need to keep chucking it. From 1992 through 1995, the Cowboys led the league in fourth-quarter rushing attempts every season. Thus, the low passing yards. Moreover, Aikman was a master of the intermediate throws: the deep outs and the skinny posts. So, no, his passer rating didn't soar over 100, because he didn't incessantly toss the Sam Bradford-to-Jerick McKinnon 2-yard dumps that inflate completion percentage and passer rating. What Aikman did do was win. He won his first seven postseason starts, ultimately finishing with an 11-4 playoff mark. He was outstanding when the Cowboys needed him to be. From 1992 through '95, there was no better playoff quarterback. Perhaps what is most notable is what many opponents (and the legendary Pat Summerall) said about Aikman: That he was the most accurate passer they ever saw.

kskboys

Reaction score
How so?
Garcia didn't have Burrow's pedigree did he?
Not sure how pedigree relates. All that matters is skillset. And w/ a QB, the ability to make decisions in milliseconds under extreme pressure.

I don't watch a ton of college football. I watched Joe, and he reminded me of Jeff w/ his ability to scramble around and make plays.

Garcia was a very good QB. I'm not dissing Burrow at all here, BTW.

kskboys

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...cks-of-all-time-patriots-tom-brady-leads-list

14) Troy Aikman

If Young was the prototype for the modern-day quarterback, Aikman was the embodiment of what every GM in pro football was looking for at the position from 1950 until Y2K. That is, a tall, steady presence in the pocket and in the huddle, complete with a strong arm that operated with a tight release. Aikman could see, sense and let it fly as quickly as anyone, despite not being necessarily known for doing so. You might have heard that Aikman's numbers aren't as impressive because the Cowboys' offense was all about running the football. Well, that isn't exactly true. What is accurate is that Dallas' offense was a replica of the Air Coryell attack, which threw for quality, not quantity. With the Cowboys leading so often late in games in the '90s, there was no need to keep chucking it. From 1992 through 1995, the Cowboys led the league in fourth-quarter rushing attempts every season. Thus, the low passing yards. Moreover, Aikman was a master of the intermediate throws: the deep outs and the skinny posts. So, no, his passer rating didn't soar over 100, because he didn't incessantly toss the Sam Bradford-to-Jerick McKinnon 2-yard dumps that inflate completion percentage and passer rating. What Aikman did do was win. He won his first seven postseason starts, ultimately finishing with an 11-4 playoff mark. He was outstanding when the Cowboys needed him to be. From 1992 through '95, there was no better playoff quarterback. Perhaps what is most notable is what many opponents (and the legendary Pat Summerall) said about Aikman: That he was the most accurate passer they ever saw.
I believe the not accurate statement has two underlying misconceptions based on these facts.

1. QB's who run a longer pass offense type will have a lower comp% simply due to throwing more low percentage passes. Aikman ran a longer pattern type O, and had Emmit to move the chains.

2. Comparing yesterday's comp% to today's. 60% used to be the standard, and was very very good.

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
not being a big fan of college ball, I didn't watch burrow until later in the season. I was highly impressed. I can understand why he doesn't want to go to the bengals. but he may have no choice.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I believe the not accurate statement has two underlying misconceptions.

1. QB's who run a longer pass offense type will have a lower comp% simply due to throwing more low percentage passes.

2. Comparing yesterday's comp% to today's. 60% used to be the standard, and was very very good.

3. Fans remember every missed pass by their team's QB, and it's always the QB's fault. Other QBs are presumed to be more accurate because the fan doesn't hold them to the same level of scrutiny.

kskboys

Reaction score
not being a big fan of college ball, I didn't watch burrow until later in the season. I was highly impressed. I can understand why he doesn't want to go to the bengals. but he may have no choice.
I was impressed a little. He didn't appear to have the best arm, and I thought he ran a bit too much. However, I did like him as a prospect.

kskboys

Reaction score
3. Fans remember every missed pass by their team's QB, and it's always the QB's fault. Other QBs are presumed to be more accurate because the fan doesn't hold them to the same level of scrutiny.
Or because the fans are comparing other QB's highlights to our Qb's every play. Really strange stuff. The strangest part is that they take no effort to correct themselves. Very strange.

cern

Reaction score
I was impressed a little. He didn't appear to have the best arm, and I thought he ran a bit too much. However, I did like him as a prospect.
the same was said about Patrick mahomey. how you like him now?:):):)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So did Dallas when we got Aikman. Maybe because I have such a high level of confidence in Burrow I would not let him get away. I think the guy will be special and can help turn around a team quick.
Maybe so. But the Bengals allowed the most points in the AFC last year. I don't see how drafting Burrow at 1 is better than trading down, picking up extra picks and drafting Tua or Hebert.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

14) Troy Aikman

Thanks! Troy in the playoffs was one of the most accurate around. Guy upped his game. It’s one reason he made HOF

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perhaps what is most notable is what many opponents (and the legendary Pat Summerall) said about Aikman: That he was the most accurate passer they ever saw.
Ask The Playmaker.

He will tell you Aikman is the most accurate ever.

kskboys

Reaction score
the same was said about Patrick mahomey. how you like him now?:):):)
No it wasn't. Mahomes was known for having a cannon. The knock was coming from a rather gimmicky O, along w/ messy mechanics and footwork. And being very raw, not playing QB until his Jr year in HS.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
At this point Im not sure giving up 2 #1s and Dak is bad deal. It would keep the Cowboys on a QB with a rookie salary cap and they wouldnt be restricted with Dak and a 35 mil a year salary. I doubt the bengals would do that. They would want more than that.

:facepalm:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Maybe so. But the Bengals allowed the most points in the AFC last year. I don't see how drafting Burrow at 1 is better than trading down, picking up extra picks and drafting Tua or Hebert.

I could be wrong but I think Burrow is head and shoulders above both. I have watched a lot of college QB and Burrow is about the best I have seen. His reads, his accuracy, mobility and grit really impressed me. Tua with his hip injury is a concern it is the same injury suffered by Bo Jackson, maybe advance in medical procedures he will be fine but he would concern me. Again all I can say is I was impressed so much with Burrow I would not risk letting him go, I think a QB of that talent is worth it.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think Burrow is head and shoulders above both. I have watched a lot of college QB and Burrow is about the best I have seen. His reads, his accuracy, mobility and grit really impressed me. Tua with his hip injury is a concern it is the same injury suffered by Bo Jackson, maybe advance in medical procedures he will be fine but he would concern me. Again all I can say is I was impressed so much with Burrow I would not risk letting him go, I think a QB of that talent is worth it.
I thought Burrow showed some serious skills. His throws with accuracy were impressive.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I thought Burrow showed some serious skills. His throws with accuracy were impressive.

and did so vs some great college defense. He adjusted during the game but never looked rattled. I think the kid will be special just my 2 cents

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Not sure how pedigree relates. All that matters is skillset. And w/ a QB, the ability to make decisions in milliseconds under extreme pressure.

I don't watch a ton of college football. I watched Joe, and he reminded me of Jeff w/ his ability to scramble around and make plays.

Garcia was a very good QB. I'm not dissing Burrow at all here, BTW.
What I mean by pedigree is the coaching, the mentoring, the big-time college experience.

And I wasn't knocking you or your assessment. I just wanted to know more about your comparison between Garcia and Burrow. No disrespect intended.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Thanks! Troy in the playoffs was one of the most accurate around. Guy upped his game. It’s one reason he made HOF
Did throw an interception in the 92-93 playoff/Super Bowl season. Went 23-30 and four touchdowns in Super Bowl 27.