Twitter: Cincinnati Is Listening To Offers For The 1 Pick

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not much you can do if a prospect doesn't want to play for you.

Who wants to draft a guy just to have him hold out and re-enter the draft?

It's one thing if the guy is holding out over contract terms and money. The team will just cave and pony up and eventually sign the guy. But if the guy is holding out because he fundamentally thinks joining your organization will torpedo his career... then there's not much you can do.

Sitting out a year isn't a career-killer. And with competing leagues existing, maybe he goes and sees some action in a competing league just to keep from getting rusty. (Which may or may not be a lucrative deal by itself.)

In Major League Baseball, when a guy refuses to sign, he re-enters the draft and the team gets a similarly positioned draft pick as compensation. It's been so long since a top prospect held out and re-entered the draft in the NFL, I'm not even sure of the particulars of how this works. Does the team get an extra 1st rounder next year as compensation for the guy not agreeing to terms, like how it works in baseball? I don't think they do. But maybe I'm wrong?

If you don't get an extra 1st rounder as compensation the next year for failure to agree to terms with Burrow, that means you wasted the pick entirely. That's a killer.

If you do get a compensatory 1st rounder (which I can't imagine would be #1 overall), then you've effectively traded the 1st overall pick--in a year with a clear-cut franchise QB prospect, no less--for one measly, lower 1st rounder a year later. That's such a bad trade, it's also terrible. That's just bad economics.

If Burrow doesn't want to play for you, you trade him and maximize the value. Stay within the top 5 if you want because you have your heart set on a QB this year instead of waiting for next year. Tua plus a couple spare 1st round picks (or a 1st and a couple of 2nd's) is better value than what you'll be left with if you draft Burrow and he sits out and re-enter the draft next year.
This reminds me of the 2004 Draft where QB Eli Manning was drafted #1 overall by the Chargers, but 3 picks later, they traded Eli to the Giants while the Chargers then used the Giants' traded #4 overall pick to draft QB Phillip Rivers. Funny but the same thing is probably going to happen once again 16 years later.

https://www-sbnation-com.cdn.amppro...-draft-giants-chargers-aj-smith-ernie-accorsi

John813

Reaction score
Miami come on down.

Would be dumb of them to lose both 1st later in the draft though.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For a guy who thinks Dak is useless or overrated it’s funny how you throw out ridiculousness like this.

he sucks but he’ll draw two number ones?
For a guy who thinks Dak is useless or overrated it’s funny how you throw out ridiculousness like this.

he sucks but he’ll draw two number ones?
Because a lot of these guys are trolling.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Dak, this years 1, and next years 1 for cheap QB play that allows us to build the team.. Um yeah.. I like our chances of winning the Super Bowl in the next 5 years.
Oh right because we have never seen a great college quarterback tank in the pros so let’s get rid of what we know for a chance at a flop. Good call

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

received-872029369894727.gif

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
If I'm Cincy, I'm looking at moving down twice. Load up on 1's and 2's the few years. Having the first overall pick this year isn't helping them to beat the Ravens any time soon.
is it reload time and they can get damn good value for that pick. get a FA QB for a few years and figure out what you want to be when you grow up and along the way.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Dak, this years 1, and next years 1 for cheap QB play that allows us to build the team.. Um yeah.. I like our chances of winning the Super Bowl in the next 5 years.
oh lord. really?

picking the SURE FIRE qb isn't that easy. mahomes wasn't even the 1st qb taken. would you trade all that for just as good a shot at trubinsky?

ryan leaf?
jamarcus russell?
joey harrington?
matt leinart?
brady quinn?
christian ponder?
vince young?
sanchez?
leftwich?
d carr?
tim couch?

the list of 1st round or 1st overall bust picks is impressive. dak isn't a world beater no, but he's a damn sight better than every qb listed above and you're wanting to let that go AND 2 rounders just so you can roll the dice again?

i don't see the value there.

bb721

Reaction score
Not much you can do if a prospect doesn't want to play for you.

Who wants to draft a guy just to have him hold out and re-enter the draft?.

If you get drafted you can't just re-enter the draft the following year if you don't sign. The team that drafted you owns your rights unless they trade them or renounce them.

John813

Reaction score
If you get drafted you can't just re-enter the draft the following year if you don't sign. The team that drafted you owns your rights unless they trade them or renounce them.

Actually players can IIRC.

That's what La'el Collins camp was threatening teams with once he fell past the 3rd round, due to that allegation.
But since he went undrafted, he couldn't be eligible for the 2016 draft. If he was drafted, he could of not signed and re-entered the draft.

Still, draft picks are not mandated to sign with their respective clubs, and the drafting team does not hold the player’s rights in perpetuity. In theory, a player can hold out for the entire year and re-enter the draft in the following season. Even though NFL draft picks are boxed in by the slotting system and unable to choose their employer, they are not completely without leverage.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti..._does_not_sign_his_contract/s1_14819_29410589