Twitter: Clarence Hill: Anthony Barr is an option for the Cowboys per source

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Lost me at "if the price is right".

When has that never been the case?
Stephen's Phone:
"Hey man, we can get you a discount and coupon booklet to several Dallas Establisements.
to go along with that vet minimum !
What say you ?"
Player Agent Phone: Click...

quickccc

Reaction score
I think we really looking more to the off the ball LB than a blitzer ..

Parsons already is our blitzing edge rusher - we need a partner than handles the coverages, pursuits
while Parsons does the forward ahead blitzing

i'd like the LB that can make plays in space, get his hands on a lot of passes, deion jones, wagner, fred warner, kwon alexander, KJ Wright, etc.

If Barr can provide some off ball plays and additional blitzing and doesn't mind that role, and the price is right then .maybe.

Havic

Reaction score
Good player but he is hurt all the time so the "right price" is justified in this instance

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I wonder if Quinn could get more out of him as a pass rusher. He was thought to be an edge as a rookie and then Zimmer put him at OLB in his 4-3 and he now has 16 career sacks (7 seasons).
I always looked at Barr as an outside linebacker in the 3-4. It's a shame he went to a 4-3 that didn't let him rush from the edge. He could have been the first Micah Parsons.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Here's his PFF free agent profile

Barr agreed to a pay cut before the 2021 season that also voided the 2022 and 2023 seasons on his five-year extension signed in 2019. Better luck with his health led to a respectable 63.8 overall grade and 72.6 pass-rush grade in 2021. Barr is a bit of a unique player, generally deployed as a Sam linebacker in a 4-3 scheme who occasionally gets his hand in the dirt.

Nevertheless, there were several interested teams last time he was a free agent — he came very close to signing with the New York Jets before ultimately returning to Minnesota — so it seems defensive coaches think they can find a way to put him in positions to succeed and utilize his athletic ability.

Strengths:
– Size and athleticism
– One of the best pass-rushing linebackers in the NFL
– Few negative plays against the run

Weaknesses:
– Hasn't been a playmaker in coverage throughout his career, his three picks in 2021 aside
– Inconsistent play

Scheme Fit/Role:
STARTING STRONGSIDE (SAM) LINEBACKER: Barr has made the successful transition from collegiate edge rusher to off-ball linebacker in the NFL, but he's still best utilized in a role that lets him get after the quarterback as a blitzer. He has consistently met expectations against the run over his eight-year career, producing both negative and positive grades at one of the lowest rates at the linebacker position.

Recent Injury History:
Barr missed the majority of the 2020 NFL season with a torn pectoral muscle, and a knee injury kept him out of the first four weeks of the 2021 season. Barr managed to play in all but two of Minnesota's games since Week 5 while managing knee and hamstring injuries.

Contract Projection: Two years, $14.5 million ($7.25M per year), $8.5 million total guaranteed

Bottom Line:
Barr had an uphill climb to provide value on the five-year, $67.5 million contract he signed prior to the 2019 season. Still, he's still a viable veteran starter entering 2022 free agency who has been a key part of several very good Vikings defenses since entering the league in 2014.

Sounds like just the kind of guy we want when we go 3 man front - DE/LB tweener. But I don't think he helps with depth much at ILB.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Barr is a glamour girl. We need lunch box guys. Big time pass.

nycowboyfan

Reaction score
He’s not what we need. We need a pure LB that can play some against the run and the pass. Barr is horrible in coverage. He can go forward but not back.