Clarett goes to the Supreme Court

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Shouldn't he be eligable anyway?

Clarett asks U.S. Supreme Court to hear his case
Jan. 4, 2005
SportsLine.com wire reports

WASHINGTON -- Former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett asked the Supreme Court to reconsider his lawsuit challenging the NFL's draft eligibility rule.

Advertisement

The request was filed Monday, said Clarett's attorney, Alan Milstein. The NFL has 30 days to respond, and a decision on whether the case will be heard probably would come soon after.

"He believes that he should have been allowed to play in the league when he was ready and when the league was ready to have him," Milstein said Tuesday.

A lower court judge ruled last year that Clarett was eligible for the draft, saying the NFL violated federal antitrust laws with its rule barring eligibility until a player was three years out of high school.

But a three-judge appeals panel blocked him from entering the 2004 draft, saying federal labor policy allows NFL teams to set rules for when players can enter the league. Then, on the eve of the draft, Clarett filed an emergency appeal with the Supreme Court, but two justices turned him down.

"The Supreme Court already has declined to intervene in this case," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Tuesday. "We do not expect the court to view the current petition any differently."

Clarett was only two years out of high school when he originally took the NFL to court. He will be eligible for this April's draft no matter what happens in court.

"He believes that other young people deserve that right and privilege," Milstein said.

Clarett rushed for 1,237 yards and 16 touchdowns as a freshman in 2002, leading Ohio State to the national championship. He was suspended before the 2003 season for accepting money from a family friend and lying about it to NCAA and Ohio State investigators.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They'll probably get their fees out of whatever minimum signing bonus he's gonna get when he eventually does get drafted. in the 5, 6, or 7th round.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
If he wins the appeal he can sue the NFL for compensation lost. Which would more than likely go towards his lawyer fees.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He's going to try to counter sue for damages. If he wins, he'll turn right around and sue the NFL for lost wages against last season. Probably try to convince the courts that he would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick and see what he can make out of it.

That would be my guess.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Clarett=huge stupidarse...bonehead supreme

all this guy is doing is sealing his doom even more...I bet he doesnt even get drafted

as for suing for lost wages or damages, he'd have to prove where he was definitely going to be drafted if the high court overturned the draft eligibility rule (which they wont)...but he'd never be able to PROVE he was a 1st or 2nd rd pick anyway, because the 32 teams could all just say they had him rated as a 2nd day pick or f/a talent, and nobody would be able to prove otherwise.

bottom line, get ready to see Clarett coming to a CFL franchise soon!

David

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Clarett is throwing up a smoke screen. He doesn't want other teams to mess up his chance of playing in Dallas. It's a done deal. Clarett and Jones :eek: ;)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Charles said:
Clarett is throwing up a smoke screen. He doesn't want other teams to mess up his chance of playing in Dallas. It's a done deal. Clarett and Jones :eek: ;)
*cyber slap* ;)

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Some team will take a shoot at him and draft him.

He does seem to be a fit for the Cowboys though. I mean, what would training camp be without a player who hasn't played football in 2 or 3 years :rolleyes: .

playit12

Reaction score
Well one can never have enough Running backs. And you can rest assured that in some way or another we'll be adding one or two to the roster next year.

As for Clarrett. I have no problems giving the kid a chance if he is in shape for his Pro Day.

He took money from the Alumns (Like almost all College Players in BB and FB) and lied to the police about the "theft" of his stereo equip as I recall. Of course he was 19 at the time and gracing the covers of Sports Illustrated so I kind of suspected a fall from grace with the increased media exposure.

But as for Clarett the player his fellow players always said he was an incredible competetor that never wanted to leave the field. His coaches only negative comment was that Clarett complained about not playing enough early. You mgiht recall that compaint as the same thing JJ said at Notre Dame. As for the Court cases... it's hard to say what he should have done in that circumstance. I think the law is wrong and I thought he was ready last year to play as was Williams. As for taking it up the ranks to the supreme court what else does he have to do. It's not like the NCAA was going to let him play again and the CFL requires a two year commitement I believe.

One final thing. Clarett is the perfect compliment to JJ. He's taller and stronger and can move the ball in traffic. He also had great speed for a strong back and would be at least as good as Chris Brown was this year in Tenn. Plus with all the bad press I think he'll be a second day pickup.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
12 Step Program, How to handle trouble, and regain your creditibilty
By Maurice Clarett

1) When you get in trouble, lie
2) Lie again, no matter how dumb you look
3) Cry about how your current employer/college is trying to make an example out of you
4) If #2 and #3 fail...Play dumb, refuse to work with your current employer/college
5) If problem doesn't go away, work with current employer/college, make up regulations you'll have to follow. During probation, skip classes/work.
6) Sue future employer
7) If you win, act arrogant. Refuse to play by their own rules, act divaish
8) If you lose, appeal
9) If appeal fails, go public with info to damage your now former employer/college
10) After step #9, send letter offering to retract what you said in #9 in exchange for positive reccomendation to future employer
11) Remember, no workouts while you wait.

Finally

12) Sue future employer to Supreme Court.

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
I am so sick and tired of hearing about this guy. I Hope to god someone drafts him this year so he shuts the hell up and plays ball. To me another cry baby/wannabe entering the league. Stop whining,shut up and earn your respect on the field...GEEZ

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
This is money flushed down the toilet. He must have a smooth talking lawyer who has convinced him he can recoup money he might have earned this year. In reality all he is doing is adding to his legal costs. The chance of the Supreme Court overturning the Appellate Court is remote at best. Just plain dumb move. He's almost guaranteed an NFL spot in 2005 if he just uses his head. 2004 is never coming back.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Clarrett being the little whiney ***** that he is knows that having had an extra year to get even fatter and more out of shape than he was at the combine last year that he will not be drafted as high as he would have been last year. He wants the Supreme Court to rule in his favor so he will have the basis for a civil suite against the NFL for costing him a years salary and a signing bonus. And he will no doubt want punative damages as well.

playit12

Reaction score
Anyone that was commenting on his legal fees growing I seriously doubt he's going to foot any of the bill for this challenge. I'm sure any money that is possible gained would be split but Lawyers cream at the chance of getting in front of the Supreme Court.