Clarett may not make team

joseephuss

Reaction score
Broncos debate Clarett's handling of injury

DENVER (AP) - After missing nearly two weeks with a groin injury, Maurice Clarett returned to practice Thursday, the last day of training camp for the Denver Broncos.

Now, the question is whether his return has come too late to make the team.

Denver's third-round draft choice hadn't practiced since Aug. 8 due to a strained right groin, an injury that, as recently as Wednesday, didn't appear to be getting any better.

Coach Mike Shanahan, however, has been blunt in his assessment of Clarett all week, not shirking from how hard it would be for a rookie, or any player, to make the roster if he's not practicing.

That might be what suddenly made the groin well enough for Clarett to return Thursday. Or maybe it really did get better. For his part, Clarett did not make himself available for comment after either of Thursday's two practices.

His teammates and coach, meanwhile, have been fielding constant questions about Clarett this week. They keep reiterating that oft-troubled running back has nothing to gain by being on the sideline.

"You can't make the club in the tub. We all know that," quarterback Jake Plummer said, echoing a phrase he learned from Mean Joe Greene.

The debate around Broncos camp this week is whether Clarett is being too protective of his injury and how that's affecting not only his chances to make the roster, but his relationship with coaches and teammates.

Shanahan said any talk about Clarett's relationship with teammates was "all speculation." As for whether Clarett is coachable: "I haven't had a chance to coach him very much," Shanahan said. "I was hoping to have a chance in the next couple weeks to coach him."

Clarett's status has not been determined for Saturday's preseason game against the 49ers, but even if he can go, it's unlikely he'll see much time. The Broncos normally use the bulk of the second preseason game to evaluate their second and third string players, and Clarett isn't close to there.

He's listed as the fifth back, behind Nos. 1 and 1A, Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell, and Quentin Griffin. He's also behind Ron Dayne, who has had an excellent training camp. Many thought the battle for the last tailback spot would be between Dayne and Clarett. If that's the case, it's no contest at this point.

"Any time you're out of practice for as long as he has, it's almost like starting over," Shanahan said. "You've got to get your legs back. He missed a lot of reps, knowing what to do from an offensive standpoint. It takes some time. Hopefully, he can stay healthy and we'll get a chance to evaluate him."

At the start of camp, Clarett made news by forgoing his signing bonus in exchange for an incentive-based contract. There's a growing sense he'll have to do something spectacular over the next two weeks to make the final roster and have a chance at the incentives.

Listening to some of the Broncos talk, he'll almost certainly need to rally to gain their respect.

"Some of those guys are going to have to grow up quick because in this business they are not going to wait on you," receiver Rod Smith said in response to a question about Clarett. "We still have to move forward whether you are here or not. You just hope they have a speedy recovery and they are out there showing their teammates what they can do, and when guys are not dressed out, it's hard to see."

_______________________________________________________________________-

At the time I understood and respected Clarett's handling of his contract. I disagreed with his decision to handle it in that fashion because I believe someone in his position should have just accepted the up front money in the form of the signing bonus. Now he is struggling because of his injury and there is a chance he won't make the team. Even if he does he won't be getting too much playing time until much later in the season which will prevent him from making his contract incentives. There is nothing wrong with what he did, but I would rather have the money just in case something like this happened. It is a very physical game.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
It's also a brutal reminder that the NFL is a far different league than college. Hope for his sake he figures it out and can scratch out a living.

joseephuss

Reaction score
GTaylor said:
It's also a brutal reminder that the NFL is a far different league than college. Hope for his sake he figures it out and can scratch out a living.

Even the league minimum would be good enough to scratch out a living for me. I should have spent my childhood learning how to punt and kick. :)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Even the league minimum would be good enough to scratch out a living for me. I should have spent my childhood learning how to punt and kick. :)
The real issue is most folks with 40K-60k or so jobs have the skillset to work those jobs or similar ones for 25-40 years.

Clarett if he makes 2 years at NFL minimum will need to get a job and what will he do then? 225k sounds awesome but after taxes he'll make 150k or so and figure in paying an agent and living expenses in Denver and all that jazz he won't bank much of that salary. Better than most folks his age true but without the college degree or skillset in any employable field.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
jterrell said:
The real issue is most folks with 40K-60k or so jobs have the skillset to work those jobs or similar ones for 25-40 years.

Clarett if he makes 2 years at NFL minimum will need to get a job and what will he do then? 225k sounds awesome but after taxes he'll make 150k or so and figure in paying an agent and living expenses in Denver and all that jazz he won't bank much of that salary. Better than most folks his age true but without the college degree or skillset in any employable field.
I have no pity for him. He had a chance at a free education and pissed it away.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jterrell said:

That was part of my point. He took less of a signing bonus when he could have had one at least $400,000. There are no guarantees as to how long his career was going to last, so if I was in the same situation I would have taking the larger signing bonus to begin with.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
My bet is still on the table.

He'll be the starting RB for the Denver Broncos by mid-season..........Any takers????

joseephuss

Reaction score
Charles said:
My bet is still on the table.

He'll be the starting RB for the Denver Broncos by mid-season..........Any takers????

I have nothing against Clarrett, but I just don't see him starting by mid-season for the Broncos. That doesn't mean I want to bet, just my opinion. He is in too big a hole. I see him going on the practice squad and then coming back next year with some more experience. He may even be a candidate for NFL Europe next spring. He needs practices. Only having 1 year of college set back his learning curve.