Clarett runs better at pro day at heavier weight then combine...

VirusX

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/news/story?id=2026922

Maurice Clarett was heavier and faster Thursday in workouts for NFL scouts in Youngstown, Ohio.

The running back weighed 236 pounds, two pounds heavier that at the NFL combine, but his 40-yard dash times were better than in February.

He ran 40s in 4.67 and 4.68 seconds according to his agents Steve Feldman and Josh Luchs.

In Indianapolis last month, he was timed at 4.87 and 4.72.

Bengals and Browns assistants put him through running back drills. The Steelers, Colts, Rams and Ravens also observed the workouts.

The Dolphins and Patriots had RSVP'd and were expected to have representatives there.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
VirusX said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/news/story?id=2026922

Maurice Clarett was heavier and faster Thursday in workouts for NFL scouts in Youngstown, Ohio.

The running back weighed 236 pounds, two pounds heavier that at the NFL combine, but his 40-yard dash times were better than in February.

He ran 40s in 4.67 and 4.68 seconds according to his agents Steve Feldman and Josh Luchs.

In Indianapolis last month, he was timed at 4.87 and 4.72.

Bengals and Browns assistants put him through running back drills. The Steelers, Colts, Rams and Ravens also observed the workouts.

The Dolphins and Patriots had RSVP'd and were expected to have representatives there.

Maurice Clarett is too slow to ever be successful in the NFL... this is a separate issue from his regrettable tendency to always take short cuts in his life...

I wouldn't piss on that loser if he was on fire... I will be nauseated if the Cowboys are so freakin' stoopid as to waste a draft pick on him... heck, I'd even be nauseated if the Cowboys sign him as an undrafted rookie free agent...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score

Dang. If his AGENTS are saying he ran those times then he probably ran another 4.75... HAND TIMED.

royhitshard

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Maurice Clarett is too slow to ever be successful in the NFL... this is a separate issue from his regrettable tendency to always take short cuts in his life...

I wouldn't piss on that loser if he was on fire... I will be nauseated if the Cowboys are so freakin' stoopid as to waste a draft pick on him... heck, I'd even be nauseated if the Cowboys sign him as an undrafted rookie free agent...
AGREED!

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Exactly which short cuts has Maurice Clarett taken in life?

All athletes that have bucked the status quo in every sport were trashed by the media and fans have never been accepting. Nothings new here, history always repeats itself.

Please I am really interested in these "cuts".
silverbear said:
Interesting so what is your opinion on Leonardo Carson, Antonio Bryant, Michael Irvin, Nate Newton, do I need to go on........... :confused:

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I think if Clarett can get his personal life in order then he will be a good Back in the NFL... I'd give him a chance in the 6th round....

Lay off him please.....

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me what made Clarett look so bad at the combine was how labored he looked while running. I think the difference outside of the 40 time is how smooth he looked while running and doing his drills. Numbers don't tell the whole story.

Side note: I'm not sure why Clarett invokes such strong feelings in people. Clarett is one of many student-athletes who partake of university alums generosity. I've seen it personally, so while it may be wrong as far as NCAA rules, it's not anything out of the ordinary for many college athletes.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
To me what made Clarett look so bad at the combine was how labored he looked while running. I think the difference outside of the 40 time is how smooth he looked while running and doing his drills. Numbers don't tell the whole story.

Side note: I'm not sure why Clarett invokes such strong feelings in people. Clarett is one of many student-athletes who partake of university alums generosity. I've seen it personally, so while it may be wrong as far as NCAA rules, it's not anything out of the ordinary for many college athletes.
Great point.

These kind of things have been going on on most campuses for decades.

Even moreso on big time schools like Ohio. I don't see same disgust for other players. Noone is mentioning that the Ohio State athletic program is under investigation from the NCAA and their athletic President quit a couple of months ago. Tressel is on the hot seat. Claretts crime if nay was for being stupid. He overestimated the value of items stolen from car given to him by a local car dealer who has connections to Buckeye boosters.

Claretts talent is undeniable. If it wasn't then why have NFL teams sent scouts to his individual work-out.

Here is a more up to date work-out info from ESPN.

Clarett posts better times than at combineESPN.com news services

A slightly heavier but more sculpted Maurice Clarett might have improved his draft status Thursday during a vigorous solo workout for NFL scouts in Youngstown, Ohio.

The running back weighed in at 236 pounds, two pounds heavier that at the NFL combine, but his 40-yard dash times were better than in February.

He ran 40s in 4.67 and 4.68 seconds, according to his agents Steve Feldman and Josh Luchs, and one team clocked him at 4.65. In Indianapolis last month, he was timed at 4.87 and 4.72.

Inclement weather forced the 75-minute workout to be moved indoors and performed on artificial turf, the same surface on which the combine was conducted.

Bengals and Browns assistants put him through running back drills, which he performed with his shirt off. He wore a form-fitting lycra shirt for the 40.

Prior to the workout, Clarett was projected to be selected as high as the sixth or seventh rounds, and possibly not at all. However, Luchs said draft position isn't a priority.

"We're not that concerned with where he goes, because wherever he's drafted is going to be far below where his talent level really is," he said. "So, we're really preparing for minicamps and training camps and trying to get Maurice ready for going out and earning a job, regardless of where he's drafted."

The Steelers, Colts, Rams and Ravens also observed the workouts. The Dolphins and Patriots had RSVP'd and were expected to have representatives there.

VirusX

Reaction score
4.6X isnt bad for a high school surface and its not that bad for a kid who hasnt had a professional place to really work on his craft and hasnt played in awhile. Im proud of his effort and it will be interesting to see how things will unfold.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I swear, you people make it seem like the highschool surface slowed him down by 3 tenths of a second.

Let me tell you something, the surface at my highschool track was better then any college surface I ever went to, and I've attended 5 different colleges.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
I swear, you people make it seem like the highschool surface slowed him down by 3 tenths of a second.

Let me tell you something, the surface at my highschool track was better then any college surface I ever went to, and I've attended 5 different colleges.
Interesting, I only see one poster VirusX who mentioned anything about High school surface.......... You people :confused:

Wanna take back that bet?

Its a one time offer :)

joseephuss

Reaction score
We still don't know much about Clarett. He hasn't played in the last two seasons. There is know way to tell if he has improved from his freshman year. He had a pretty good freshman year, but nothing that was just super special. He may have improved his 40 time, but really no one was considering him as a speedy back. He will be looked at for his power. I think he runs too upright for a power back.

There is a bunch of clamor about him because at one time he was thought of has as a top ten player. Now with all the unknowns(on the field only) in my opinion he just hasn't shown enough to be drafted on the 1st day. I don't even consider his off field issues and I am sure there are scouts and coaches that don't either. But there are some franchises that do. That limits his chances.

I thought 4th or later before the combine. Now after his two workouts no sooner than the 6th. Dallas has many holes to fill to take any chances on such a young guy that hasn't had that much experience.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Interesting, I only see one poster VirusX who mentioned anything about High school surface.......... You people

Wasn't just referring to the people in this thread. There's only like 5000 Clarett threads going on right now at various message boards.

Wanna take back that bet?

What was the bet? I already forgot. lol

Bobo

Reaction score
Gil Brandt says.....

Clarett weighed in at 236 pounds. His 40-yard dash times ranged from 4.69 to 4.72. He also ran 4.44 in the short shuttle, 12.09 in the long shuttle and 7.43 in the three-cone drill. He really looked good catching the football. Bengals running backs coach Jim Anderson conducted the drills.

I thught maybe he'd try to get down in weight to better his times. Wasn't his college weight ~225?